Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14847401 05/04/20
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I drew a Valle Vidal deer bowhunt. I have no equipment and basically no archery knowledge. I will use the setup for elk later, the tag gods willing.

The only advice I have got so far is "Don't buy on-line. Go to a pro-shop. It will be cheaper in the long run."

Looking for recommendations on where in NM to buy a full set-up for hunting.

Who is a good shop to work with? Looking in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, or Taos areas.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, a local shop can tune up the bow you buy there and select the proper arrows. Not hard stuff but not something foe someone just starting out. They can also tell you about archery clubs. Our gun club has an archery contingent and a decent archery range. There are a lot of things you can hang on a bow. I'd start with a basic package and figure out what to add talking with the club guys.Some of the guys are quite experienced, natural teachers, and love to coach aspiring archers. Everybody learns differently. For me archery how to books helped a lot but no titles come to mind.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by NM_elk_chaser
The only advice I have got so far is "Don't buy on-line. Go to a pro-shop. It will be cheaper in the long run."

Who is a good shop to work with? Looking in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, or Taos areas.

Pro shop is "generally" a better place to start - they can get an accurate draw length measurement, talk you through the equipment, work with your budget.

Plus, most have used equipment that can save you some money as well - the practical advice is generally the best value.

It doesn't take an 80 pound draw to kill an elk - 60 pounds will get it done - get a bow you you can shoot regularly, more practice and constancy in form is more important than the greater poundage.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
^^^^ Pro shop. Then find a mentor. ^^^^^^

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by NM_elk_chaser
I drew a Valle Vidal deer bowhunt. I have no equipment and basically no archery knowledge. I will use the setup for elk later, the tag gods willing.

Looking for recommendations on where in NM to buy a full set-up for hunting.

That would be the best advice. Go to the nearest archery range and ask around. You can kinda tell which archers are the real hunters. Even behind those #$!*%$# face masks!

They will steer you to the best bowhunting shops and clubs that put on 3D shoots. It takes a lot of practice to become an ethical bow hunter.

I used to work part time in such a shop and it is almost unbelievable how many first time bowhunters will show up the night before to get outfitted to bowhunt the next morning.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another thing to consider is that most bows depreciate very quickly, so buying a left over from last year or a used bow will save you a ton of cash and will still allow you to buy a quality bow. Lots of pro shops either take in trades to resell or know of customers looking to sell or upgrade. Buy a bow with a good warranty on it, and be prepared to put a new string and cables on a used bow (not always necessary, but take that into consideration on price of a used bow), and don’t over-bow yourself by chasing the fastest, heaviest draw weight, lowest brace height bow. Get something that you can comfortably handle, draw even in freezing temps, and forgiving to shoot. You'll be much happier in the long run.

Second suggestion is to join an archery club and shoot/practice as much as possible to not only familiarize yourself with your equipment, but to build necessary muscles which will be helpful in shooting.

Last edited by Capt_Craig; 05/04/20.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good comments. The one about not needing 80 pounds is especially good, 60 pounds or so is plenty.
Pro shop is the way to go, not the cheapest, but the best long term and for best results.
It’s addictive, have fun.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought my first bow online. Then I went to the archery shop and they adjusted the draw length, cut the arrows I bought, paper tuned it, and let me shoot on their range. Charged me $20. They were happy for the business. I had them tune it again a couple years later. Then the next season I bought a new bow, from them.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
^^^^ Pro shop. Then find a mentor. ^^^^^^

.............That would get my vote. A good shop can set you up properly and you might even get some mentoring from them, or some of their clientele that you'll run into. It could open up a lot of opportunities.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Find a Pro shop with a range, take a few lessons to start. Then practice several times a week.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pro shop for sure. Most sell used bows. I’d recommend new old stock bows. They should have full warranty.
Don’t chase speed.
Don’t over bow yourself.
Get properly fitted.
Find a buddy or pay someone at the shop to coach you and watch your form until you get a solid base.
Don’t buy a bow for the name only. Shoot several different bows and let the bow pick you.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What sfcsnow said. Great advice.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
/\

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once you have been to the Pro Shop and have your gear, practice, practice, practice, shoot targets as often as you can. What kind of bow will you be buying? Compound, recurve, long bow? Will your hunt be a spot and stalk? Or from a tree stand? If you will be hunting from a tree stand then practice from one.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Ive been selected to attend army sniper school next month but have never owned a firearm

Tips?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ribka
Ive been selected to attend army sniper school next month but have never owned a firearm

Tips?

Yah, shure, ya betcha . . . Git ya a Barrett chambered in .50 BMG and start at 500 yards (or meters) off hand. Once ya master that, ya can shoot anything laugh.

Seriously - back to the OP - If you have a pro-shop anywhere near you, visit them, they can be invaluable. Ask questions, listen to the answers and most anything else they are willing to talk to you about. Worth the time and effort.

I started in the mid '60s with a Ben Pierson recurve with wooden arrows. Much later got a couple compounds with fiberglass or aluminum arrows. Then turned around and started shooting longbow with self built wooden arrows. Tried but never got the hang of bow sights or releases. Learned shooting bare bow, and just couldn't shake the habit.

Good luck with your endeavor, it will be as fun as you are willing to make it.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really hope this doesn't lead to a situation like the dead and bloated 6x6 bull with an arrow sticking out of his gut I came across a few years ago on a mule deer hunt. Really pissed me off.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Tips?

No sweat, you won't have any bad habits for them to deal with. laugh

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by Squidge
Once you have been to the Pro Shop and have your gear, practice, practice, practice, shoot targets as often as you can. What kind of bow will you be buying? Compound, recurve, long bow? Will your hunt be a spot and stalk? Or from a tree stand? If you will be hunting from a tree stand then practice from one.

Compound

Spot and stalk.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N

Tips?

I figured it was the best way to draw the tag - put in for something I don't have the equipment for. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.