Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

Jim i have a few questions for you....do you sell direct to the public.....if so is there a butcher where you are at that could handle it...am looking for a whole, finished to a prime level..

if so we can take this to a pm if you would rather....thanks........bob

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll just say after eating mostly local grass fed beef for years, it's so much better than the feedlot beef. We have friends that do cow calf and usually have a cow or bull that needs to be processed, so we get all all burger that way. They usually do a couple feeders each summer for family and friends that are mostly steaks.

I just read they are giving away potato's in Idaho by the semi load. I wonder how those would feed out.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

jim says he likes a barley finnish.....i want to try one........plus support a mt rancher.......bob

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We split a calf with friend. We buy from a friend. Way better meat than store bought.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
We used to feed a mix of ground oats and barley when I was young. This was on pasture or hay year round. Ed k

IC B2

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

hanco….I am surprised you didn't reply with ….pussy!.....ha......the last beef I got was good....one before that good taste but you needed a chain saw to cut it......one before that fat had a taste of rancid to it....need a good butcher for sure.....bob

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
When me and the old woman meet up tonight....I will see what she thinks.

I am MAGA.
B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

fair enough......bob

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I live in AZ, buy my beef from a rancher outside of Riverton WY and the beef is processed in Thermopolis. Last year we took a road trip to get it, this year they dropped it off at the house on their way to Wickenburg.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I picked up a half a beef from my rancher here in Florida last Saturday, It took six weeks from when I ordered to when they called to say it was ready, they had sent it out to their butcher for processing. I paid $1280.00 wrapped and frozen. I am buying from The Dam Ranch @ about $5.45 a pound after processing weight.

Right after I got home I saw the following post here.

Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I thought toilet paper scare was bad. We just bought a half a cow for $1200. Same price as last year but this time it's a 5-6 week turn around. Butchers around here are swamped.

I'm assuming Joel is doing his business in Alaska, could be wrong.
Price seems kinda steady across the board.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Joel/AK Lives in Michigan now.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, I knew I was guessin', still find it interesting we both paid the same price so many miles apart.
Guess that is just how it rolls....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I believe there is a pretty big delay in processing no matter where you go.

We just had a steer butchered and called around in roughly a 100 mile radius from Billings to find options. Most were out 2-3 months to butcher and process a steer.

I did find a little butcher that a friend recommended. He actually called me tonight to clarify the cutting instructions as they are breaking our steer down tomorrow. This was almost 2 months faster than the others in the country.

If you want some info on contact for the guy, and after the end of this week when we get our beef back, a review on the job they did, drop me a PM and I will share with you our experience.

Montana MOFO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If you have a source, do it or find one.

SO much better than store bought beef.

This smoked t-bone did not suck yesterday.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our local butcher is booked through December, we have plenty of beef if you can do it yourself or haul away...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by cowman
Our local butcher is booked through December, we have plenty of beef if you can do it yourself or haul away...

That’s pretty much the situation around here.

One shop is stopping all their custom butchering. They were all backed up before that. Now it’s worse. We have appointments for 6-8 hogs early this fall. We get those slots a year in advance.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I know of a guy down Saddle Butte that does butchering and he did a great job for us.

I can't remember his name but I can tell you how to get there if need be.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I just called my cousin and ordered another quarter.

Thanks, BOB!

lol

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Off topic but...

Any tips on buying local pasture raised that WON'T taste like dirt? The meat we've got is OK but the fat tastes like dirt. This is from local farms in GA claiming grass fed and grain finished. If you're the Worcestershire well done steak sauce type that is OK, but not for me. That's why I trim fat off venison.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Off topic but...

Any tips on buying local pasture raised that WON'T taste like dirt? The meat we've got is OK but the fat tastes like dirt. This is from local farms in GA claiming grass fed and grain finished. If you're the Worcestershire well done steak sauce type that is OK, but not for me. That's why I trim fat off venison.

My source is a cow/calf operation. He raises them on grass and hay. And feeds them twice a day on corn silage and ground corn and oats. The flavor is outstanding. I'd look for someone that does similar or finishes them with barley like Big Jim does.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

204 members (260madman, 338reddog, 360bull, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 33 invisible), 1,343 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,459
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.