Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Change the anode rod every 3 years, and double it's life easily.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

Doubtful, if not in fact false.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Doubtful, if not in fact false.

OK...lol

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I buy from an appliance dealer and install them for myself and the relatives I like - maybe 5 or 6 over forever. I had one start to leak while still under warranty so I called and no luck - the warranty only applies if it was installed by a licensed plumber. After much complaining and being passed up to the distributor they finally agreed to cover the cost of the water heater or the cost of the plumber, but not both. It was the best I could do, so I picked the plumber as it was less work and about the same cost - $550-ish.

Along the way and in the interest of science I called Home Depot and after some debate they figured their policy was the same - warranties only apply to units installed by licensed plumbers. Ya know, that policy probably makes sense, but it tweaks my man card just the same.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fanofthefortyone
Has anyone tried one of these?
http://www.vaughncorp.com/hydrastone-cement/
Ronnie

I haven't heard of or seen one of those, but at a glance, it's interesting.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by JOG
I buy from an appliance dealer and install them for myself and the relatives I like - maybe 5 or 6 over forever. I had one start to leak while still under warranty so I called and no luck - the warranty only applies if it was installed by a licensed plumber. After much complaining and being passed up to the distributor they finally agreed to cover the cost of the water heater or the cost of the plumber, but not both. It was the best I could do, so I picked the plumber as it was less work and about the same cost - $550-ish.

Along the way and in the interest of science I called Home Depot and after some debate they figured their policy was the same - warranties only apply to units installed by licensed plumbers. Ya know, that policy probably makes sense, but it tweaks my man card just the same.

That’s cause they employ their own licensed plumbers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Home Despot.

A do-it-yourself, retail store that only warrants merchandise installed
by professionals? Hmmmmmm?

That's too dam funny!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
Last couple I've had to replace I called an HVAC contractor I knew to be competent and trustworthy, he came, looked, gave me a quote, came on the day he said he would, got it done and when we got home from work we had hot water. I've gotten to the point where I feel it's just not worth my time to do most of that stuff. I can't be expected to keep up with all the technological changes in that field, not to mention changes in building codes, etc. I've done enough of that work in my life. When the right people do it I get a better, faster job, I've supported a local business guy, and I've not had to give up fishing or shooting time or anything else to save a few hundred bucks. Same reason I won't twist a wrench on my own truck anymore. I used to do it all. I think some of the early vehicles I owned were 50% by weight newer parts than when I bought them. No more.

I'm a maintenance man by day so that side of things is no problem and I like turning wrenches on cars in my spare time.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Home Despot.

A do-it-yourself, retail store that only warrants merchandise installed
by professionals? Hmmmmmm?

That's too dam funny!

Thought I was the only one who called it Home Despot. Lol.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm willing to bet the 'installers' at HD are only licensed under the restricted Appliance credential,

Calling them plumbers is a stretch...

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I'm willing to bet the 'installers' at HD are only licensed under the restricted Appliance credential,

Calling them plumbers is a stretch...

You sound like women that is qualified for judging how many cup holders should be in her mini van.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

A lot of new water heaters no longer have replaceable anodes

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ha...just learned it all last month. We went out to the cabin for Easter and found the water heater had burst while we had been gone. No plumber would come out so I went to Lowe's in Rapid on Good Friday, bought a 12 year water heater, a parts kit to put it in, a tube cutter and a plastic pan to put under it and put it all in myself. My neighbor and friend at home is a plumber and he talked me into it and through it. At one point our wives were texting, and he apparently said to his, "By God, I think Brett's gonna get it done." Ha.

This was electric, and not hard at all, in retrospect. I would probably not mess with gas, myself, and would never attempt to mess with propane. That is above my ability.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by Fanofthefortyone
Has anyone tried one of these?
http://www.vaughncorp.com/hydrastone-cement/
Ronnie

I haven't heard of or seen one of those, but at a glance, it's interesting.

I worked with a man from Massachusetts and he told me about these, apparently they last a long time, but the nearest dealer to me is Atlanta.
Ronnie

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
53 replies about water heaters? Really .....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Just a safer subject than old girlfriends 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If it doesn't have them, I would consider installing sharkbites on the in and out water lines for easier removal/install next time.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
If it doesn't have them, I would consider installing sharkbites on the in and out water lines for easier removal/install next time.

Those things are great. Lowe's sells them under a different name as well, and they work just as good as the shark bites. I've used a bunch of them for various plumbing repairs, no leaks yet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Just a safer subject than old girlfriends 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

I should see if I can contact my old water heater, I'm pretty sure I know right where she it.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Old stuff lasts longer. You can replace the element(s) and anode cheaply and easily. If you are at all handy you should look into just rebuilding what you have.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

581 members (10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 257 roberts, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,823
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.