Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

"Taranov Split" of the neighbors hive.

It was getting ready to swarm (queen cells). So we shook out all the bees onto this ramp. The older bees will cross the gap and go back into the old hive (with the only a couple of queen cells and most of the brood). The younger bees and queen won't cross that gap. They think they are a swarm.

Put the 'swarm' into a new hive (no queen cells).

Here's a link that describes the process:

taranov split

Hopefully it works.

Last edited by Steve; 05/05/20.

Carpe' Scrotum
BP-B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
As opposed to doing a cut out?

I am MAGA.
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cut outs are getting them out of a wall or the like.

This is to prevent an imminent swarm of a hive.

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Okay.

I saw a bee video where the guy was taking brood frames and such and putting them in empty hives.

Probably honey and queen cells too.

He called that a cut out.

I just watch videos!

Good luck!

I am MAGA.
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's probably a split. Similar to what we did.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Interesting but it looks like a lot of work, it looks like the chance to get some bee stings and did I mention that it looks like work? 😁. I have heard that once you get your hives up and running they’re pretty self-sufficient and don’t require a lot of work but I don’t know how true it is. I find the act of beekeeping and the natural and predictable way the bees have of establishing new colonies to be fascinating, not enough to entice me into doing it, but fascinating nonetheless

I’ll continue to buy local unprocessed honey from our local apiary.

I do admire you guys (and gals) that put the time and effort into beekeeping. You likely don’t realize the positive impact you have on the future of our little friends, the honeybee, not to mention the positive impact you’re having on agriculture in general. 👍

I don’t use weed and feed or any other poison in my yard or garden. I’d rather have dandelions and clover in my lawn than a perfectly weed free lawn that was poisoned into compliance. I get annoyed at the hypocritical, liberal, save the world green weenies that cry over the decline in honeybees while they’re out spreading weed killer on the lawns of their perfectly manicured, home owner association compliant yards. They’re too stupid to realize that when you kill their food source you kill them.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Where’s the social distancing???... 😜 That’s cool.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Interesting.Learn something every day on here. thanks

Originally Posted by Steve

[Linked Image]

"Taranov Split" of the neighbors hive.

It was getting ready to swarm (queen cells). So we shook out all the bees onto this ramp. The older bees will cross the gap and go back into the old hive (with the only a couple of queen cells and most of the brood). The younger bees and queen won't cross that gap. They think they are a swarm.

Put the 'swarm' into a new hive (no queen cells).

Here's a link that describes the process:

taranov split

Hopefully it works.

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Turns out one of my hives swarmed while we were doing this. Big assed swarm about 75 feet up a maple tree. Put some bait boxes near it but I doubt I'll catch them.

Carpe' Scrotum
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That’s pretty kool

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Steve
Turns out one of my hives swarmed while we were doing this. Big assed swarm about 75 feet up a maple tree. Put some bait boxes near it but I doubt I'll catch them.

D'oh!

I am MAGA.
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Interesting but it looks like a lot of work, it looks like the chance to get some bee stings and did I mention that it looks like work? 😁. I have heard that once you get your hives up and running they’re pretty self-sufficient and don’t require a lot of work but I don’t know how true it is. I find the act of beekeeping and the natural and predictable way the bees have of establishing new colonies to be fascinating, not enough to entice me into doing it, but fascinating nonetheless

I’ll continue to buy local unprocessed honey from our local apiary.

I do admire you guys (and gals) that put the time and effort into beekeeping. You likely don’t realize the positive impact you have on the future of our little friends, the honeybee, not to mention the positive impact you’re having on agriculture in general. 👍

I don’t use weed and feed or any other poison in my yard or garden. I’d rather have dandelions and clover in my lawn than a perfectly weed free lawn that was poisoned into compliance. I get annoyed at the hypocritical, liberal, save the world green weenies that cry over the decline in honeybees while they’re out spreading weed killer on the lawns of their perfectly manicured, home owner association compliant yards. They’re too stupid to realize that when you kill their food source you kill them.

They're somewhat self sufficient but you need to manage them. Mites are a big problem. Will kill a hive if you don't keep on top of them.

That said honeybees are doing fine. Its the other pollinators that maybe having issues.

Carpe' Scrotum
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Interesting. Looks like a lot of work.
Beekeep missed the opportunity to add checkerboarded super boxes to the hive. At the right time, that alone will prevent swarming. Also could have made splits, which I gather is what is being done now.
I would put swarm traps/nucs all over the property. Smear the top bars with honey, inside the box and at the entrance with lemongrass oil.

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by longarm
Interesting. Looks like a lot of work.
Beekeep missed the opportunity to add checkerboarded super boxes to the hive. At the right time, that alone will prevent swarming. Also could have made splits, which I gather is what is being done now.
I would put swarm traps/nucs all over the property. Smear the top bars with honey, inside the box and at the entrance with lemongrass oil.

I was in the hives a week ago and didn't see any signs. Checker boarded anyway. Weather's been real off and on. Schidt happens.

Carpe' Scrotum
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Totally agree.. schitt happens.
Weather here manic as well. Hard to predict swarming this year. End of this week though looks like a definite

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here's me and the neighbor trying to shoot the branches that the swarm settled on. Box of shells later and they're still up in the tree.

[Linked Image]

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Resourceful!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Swarm just got expensive!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Steve,

Never saw that method before. Doesn't look too difficult. I'll figure all that out if the hives my friend and I are starting in the next week or two survive our winter.

Good luck getting the swarm down. Know anyone with a set of spikes that can climb for you? grin

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The guy I'm with has spikes. But it wouldn't work. Too far out and high up to climb to them. Branches are too small. Would have to top the tree. Then that would be a real mess.

Last edited by Steve; 05/06/20.

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
172 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,908
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.