Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The last I saw this mandatory quarantine order for folks entering the Great Land from outside was scheduled to be lifted 27 April but to my knowledge it has not yet been lifted. Does anyone have any insight as to when the order might be lifted?

Thanks,

John

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Extended to May 19.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Word is that it won’t be extended beyond that.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Sounds positive for sure.
Now i just hope the feds. will open up the campgrounds on the Russian before the opener.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dedity
Now i just hope the feds. will open up the campgrounds on the Russian before the opener.

You won't find social distancing on the Russian River unless they limit fishermen. Perhaps
with the lack of tourists this year it could happen.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by dedity

You won't find social distancing on the Russian River unless they limit fishermen. Perhaps
with the lack of tourists this year it could happen.

You might actually find yourself fishing next to an.Alaskan...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just stumble down to the river bank, pretend to fall and drop several empty beer cans while doing so. Stand up, shout "anybody want to party?" and then rip off a few rounds from your handgun. Instant room on either side of you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Says the Californian ............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA

Hey, it works for me! I usually use whiskey bottles though!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I seen it!!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Calvin
Word is that it won’t be extended beyond that.

Where you getting your Word from?

All the guys want to be me, and all the bitches want to do me.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
People who would know. Gov is supposed to make an announcement soon.

We will see though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender

I seen it!!

geeze..

Closest I have ever come to fishing those congested rivers has been seeing the elbow to elbow combat fishing photos in the ADN.

I'll stick to the Nush and Togiak rivers for my salmon fishin'.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
People who would know. Gov is supposed to make an announcement soon.

We will see though.

That is good to hear,
Traditionally, Memorial day, May 25, is when the commercial fishermen start pouring into the Bristol Bay region to prepare for the season.

Looks like they might be able to buy some groceries and drink a draft at the bar by then...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I get my slmon with a 60 foot gill net. Mandated to be 100' apart. For "sport" fishing salmon, I use the long handled dip net off the Kenai beach. If I want to use the dipper, I have to be carefull to save a little bit of quota from the giller use.

None of this snag-em-in-the mouth for me at the Russian. BTDT, but not for about 45 years.

I know where my salmon rods are, but I'm afraid of the sabre toothed dust bunnies guarding them.

Last edited by las; 05/04/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A number of years ago I was hit upside the head repeatedly about a fly reds actually chased and hit. A lifetime of False Gods had convinced me no such deity exists.

Long version would include a blind alley or three, but the short version is a small, swung "Mini Krystal Shrimp" will eliminate the need for the "Kenai Twitch!"
https://mossysflyshop.com/ is where most should start. I love my reds and have not been reduced to snagging one for a very long time. Unfortunately, Mike's site has not gotten to the point of finding individual flies without their direct help. And Brad's shop will also take care of you. If you are headed to SE, Brad is the guy. If you are coming through Anchorage, you should take the time to visit with Mike and Brian.

https://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.c...s/326-mini-krystral-shrimp-chartreuse-6/

Mini-Krystral Shrimp – Chartreuse #6
Home/FLIES/Silver Salmon Flies, Sockeye Salmon/Mini-Krystral Shrimp – Chartreuse #6

$2.95
The Chartreuse Mini Krystal Shrimp has been the #1 Kodiak sockeye fly for a number of years. It fishes well all over the state. Lock-jawed silvers also will eat it.

Mini-Krystral Shrimp - Chartreuse #6 quantity

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A number of years ago I was hit upside the head repeatedly about a fly reds actually chased and hit. A lifetime of False Gods had convinced me no such deity exists.

Long version would include a blind alley or three, but the short version is a small, swung "Mini Krystal Shrimp" will eliminate the need for the "Kenai Twitch!"
https://mossysflyshop.com/ is where most should start. I love my reds and have not been reduced to snagging one for a very long time. Unfortunately, Mike's site has not gotten to the point of finding individual flies without their direct help. And Brad's shop will also take care of you. If you are headed to SE, Brad is the guy. If you are coming through Anchorage, you should take the time to visit with Mike and Brian.

Home/FLIES/Silver Salmon Flies, Sockeye Salmon/Mini-Krystral Shrimp – Chartreuse #6

$2.95
The Chartreuse Mini Krystal Shrimp has been the #1 Kodiak sockeye fly for a number of years. It fishes well all over the state. Lock-jawed silvers also will eat it.

Reds actually go after those flies? I was always told that once they hit fresh water (all salmon actually) that they stop feeding.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

$2.95

Reds actually go after those flies? I was always told that once they hit fresh water (all salmon actually) that they stop feeding.

Not true. grew up in the era of hooking them in the head or gills was good. When it changed to "in the mouth" I adapted and am a fair bit better than most at it. Have not intentionally flossed a red in several years and usually hammer them far faster than most. Using tiny hooks and almost all are hooked inside the mouth, right in the nose. The little hooks being in the right place hold them just fine. It requires a little patience to learn but once you see it start working you will find it far easier than flossing.

I have been using a very simplified version for several years and they tie extremely quickly and work.

Mossy's Fly Shop does not carry anything that looks like a Russian River Coho fly.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Fairly sure that most salmon stop feeding when they hit fresh.

Doesn't mean 100% though. And certainly doesn't mean they won't strike a lure for sure, or bait.

I had some similar flies last year and they worked at times when nothing else would. Glad to see a consensus here.

I have not had the luck that they get em one after the other yet though.

Flossing. I had never seen or done it until last summer. I could go up and floss limit of 3 reds usually in a handful of toys. Until the pinks started to show up thick... flossing in the right place wasn't that hard. At least for me. Our customers. Could be another story at times.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Fairly sure that most salmon stop feeding when they hit fresh.

Doesn't mean 100% though. And certainly doesn't mean they won't strike a lure for sure, or bait.

I had some similar flies last year and they worked at times when nothing else would. Glad to see a consensus here.

I have not had the luck that they get em one after the other yet though.

Flossing. I had never seen or done it until last summer. I could go up and floss limit of 3 reds usually in a handful of toys. Until the pinks started to show up thick... flossing in the right place wasn't that hard. At least for me. Our customers. Could be another story at times.

Flossing is illegal... everywhere in freshwater, unless there is a specific exemption...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 25 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,277
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.