Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
I have 2 outside the kitchen window and enjoy watching the birds. The area that I live in is where John James Audubon roamed and collected his specimens for his drawings. We have lots and lots of birds of many types.

Remember the ivory-billed woodpecker frenzy some years back, lol/ I think it was more up in the Cache River area of Arkansas.... but I think the last true sightings were in the Atchafalaya Basin many decades ago now.

Kid, there’s a story about these in the book “Tales and Lore of The Big Thicket “ in east Texas . According to the book a newspaper editor was a bird lover and had frequent articles on these rare birds .

One day a blue bibbed coveralls wearing gent came into the newspaper office and threw a dead one on the editor’s desk and asked him, “Is this what you’re looking for?” Told the editor that he knew where lots of them were but wanted mega money to tell where they were.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
I have 2 outside the kitchen window and enjoy watching the birds. The area that I live in is where John James Audubon roamed and collected his specimens for his drawings. We have lots and lots of birds of many types.

Remember the ivory-billed woodpecker frenzy some years back, lol/ I think it was more up in the Cache River area of Arkansas.... but I think the last true sightings were in the Atchafalaya Basin many decades ago now.

You mentioned sightings in the Atchafalaya Basin. A man of some reknown, C. C. Lockwood, has a studio close to my home. If anyone currently would know, C. C. Would know. I’m gonna pay him a visit and ask him about the Ivory Billed sightings. I’ll note back what he tells me.

Google him up and look at some of his work. It is outstanding. I have two of his books.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
we feed birds year round in TX and AK.

Lots of buntings here in TX at the moment.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
lol, I had a feeling we might "know some people together" as they say in the swamps. I don't know Lockwood, but am well acquainted with the lad who wrote the foreword on his book Louisiana Wild. makes me want to get a copy!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
lol, I had a feeling we might "know some people together" as they say in the swamps. I don't know Lockwood, but am well acquainted with the lad who wrote the foreword on his book Louisiana Wild. makes me want to get a copy!

Pick up “Around The Bend “. His trip from the headwaters of the Mississippi River to the Gulf of Mexico.

C.C. Started his photo career in the Atchafalaya Basin back in the 60s. He’s much like the celebrated Fonville Wayans who started his career as a wedding photographer. Fonville’s pictures of Louisiana are legendary. Both were and are humble men.

I have some of Fonville’s works.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Non native....ha! Just like the rest of you white bastards!

So.... its like that eh?

Dude, you're gonna lose........

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I was fortunate to see and photograph this Painted Bunting last Sunday in Coloma, Michigan. They are quite rare this far north.

Attached Images
Painted Bunting.smaller.jpg (21.92 KB, 44 downloads)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Filled 'er up to the top and ho lee chit them fuggers are comin' in by the flocks. Some I haven't seen before . Cool.

Crows are tryin' to muscle in tho'.

Time to dig out some wadcutters for the Python ! laugh

Fuuk the neighbors it's noon.

Cool. Checking several boxes there, Denny.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rufous
I was fortunate to see and photograph this Painted Bunting last Sunday in Coloma, Michigan. They are quite rare this far north.

Michigan? That was a rare bird, congrats 😎. Can’t throw a rock in the Texas Hill Country right without hitting a painted bunting, seen my first 1st year (all green) painted bunting on territory today, older males have been here for about ten days already.

The bird in your photograph is of course at least two years old, prob’ly made that same misguided journey last year too, and if he ain’t from the Florida population he’ll prob’ly be in the Baja to moult in August.

I should look for a photo. Eight years back I was helping a guy from Oklahoma put little geolocators on Purple Martins. He also put em on Painted Buntings, about 25.

The following spring another guy I know was on the coast for a spring migration fallout, took a photo of a painted bunting wearing one of that guy’s geolocators. What are the odds?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Our bluebirds in East Texas have already raised their first clutch and the female was hauling in new nesting material last week end. I’m curious to see how many clutches they’ll raise this year. I put the nest box up one evening around 4 pm and they were scoping it out before dark that day. We’ Had one painted bunting come through but the indigo buntings showed up by the hordes three weeks ago as previously noted.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 53 invisible), 2,959 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.