-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the 375 H&H is a great idea. Way big step up in power and can still use lighter bullets and lower recoil loads if necessary. I went to Africa for the first time shortly after getting my first one.

Do or do not, there is no try.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
Originally Posted by czech1022
Just because I enjoy adding a bit of confusion, CDNN also has Ruger Hawkeyes in 270, 308 and 30-06 for $499.

Heck of a deal!

Although I'd still just get another 6.5 Creed - but a really nice one. Justification includes the benefit of having the same ammo when on a 2- person hunt so when one leaves their ammo on the kitchen table when packing for the trip, it doesn't become a crisis.

Also, because every gun fits each individual differently, it would be nice to compare the two and see which one fits you best.

I think, randomly though, the 06 at CDNN had a shorter barrel than the rest? Could be misremembering. I have one of the 280s at a smith right now getting cerakoted.

Blackheart - In the last year, I've seen new Model 70s, 700s, and M77s chambered in 280. Are they doing the volume of 270 or 300wm, not a chance. But I think it's here to stay.
Winchester is no longer chambering the .model 70 in .280 and neither is Ruger in the M77. I've seen the .280 come and go in limited runs from about every manufacturer over the years but it has not been popular enough to remain a standard chambering for long. I have no idea whether Remington still offers it or not. I don't keep track of Remington's junk. Regardless it's not popular enough to have a wide selection of factory ammo offered or to bring the price down to that of .270 or .30-06 and it never will be.

I don't disagree with your numbers, just word choice. Acquired taste? Sure. Anything with obsolete in it, no. Because it's useful enough and has enough of a following that it will never go away. So neither version of obsolete fits and modifying with semi doesn't fix that. Anyhow, didn't mean to hijack the thread... which is what everyone says after hijacking the thread 😇😂 So the last word on this is yours, Blackheart.

H
OP Offline
H
Thanks for all the suggestions! The Ruger Hawkeye is a cool gun. I've only owned a push-feed rifle, so just running the action on a Hawkeye is kind of fun. There's a wood-stocked 270 Hawkeye at a local gun store that my wife always says is "pretty." I'm always pleased with my one-inch groups with my Howa (it might be normal to you guys but I feel proud of myself every time), so I'm hesitant to purchase a rifle that will cause me to doubt my abilities by being less accurate. Whether it's fair or not, the overwhelming impression I get with the Ruger is that it's "accurate enough for hunting" but not to expect much more than that.

As far as the calibers go, the 30-06 is appealing. I've shot 30-06 rifles before and wasn't left traumatized. I've never shot a magnum of any kind - I will need to make some magnum-shooting friends and see if I'm man enough!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
30-06 gets my vote.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Speaking of the wife, make sure the stock fits. Much more important than the exact chambering in a group of similar. Mine has shot a Browning A-Bolt Micro for about 20 years now. It's in 7mm-08 and fits. I load low range loads with the 120 Ballistic Tip and she's happy. Buck she shot last year was about 20 yds and he was never out of the field of view from shot to drop. Could have used a .260, or .308, or some other. Low Recoil loads are available in a variety of rounds if you do not load.

For you, NEED has no relevance in discussing the acquirement of an additional rifle. But since you laid the guidelines I'd add something fairly common but still a step up from the 6.5 . Probably 30-06. As far as deer hunting I view it as a "magnum" since the cartridges mentioned above do as good a job with less fuss and flame. It's a friggin hammer on deer with 150 grain bullets I know for a fact. Never shot an elk but expect one couldn't live through solid contact with an appropriate bullet from one.

And speaking of the wife, make sure the stock fits. You'll come to enjoy her success more than your own. Good luck.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
As already been recommended, go 30-06. And get a Win M70, Ruger M77 or a Tikka T-3. Use 150 grain loads for your hunting in "bear-less" country, for less recoil, if that is a concern and factory 180 grain TTSX loads for hunting where the bears are. RJ

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RickBin
Let me be the first and probably only:

You don't NEED another rifle.

grin

Yes...he does.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Factory ammo for the 30-06 has something for everyone and every application,, it seems.
It is hard to walk into a sporting goods store that does not have 30-06 ammo on the shelf. Now there are low recoil loads available in addition to the wide range of bullet weights and types. Even more you reload.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’d get a .308, it’s the natural progression up. Then, down the line, if you want to keep climbing the ladder (which you probably will) I’d get a 7 RM for your fourth. Or a .30 cal mag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by human_pine_tree
Thanks for all the suggestions! The Ruger Hawkeye is a cool gun. I've only owned a push-feed rifle, so just running the action on a Hawkeye is kind of fun. There's a wood-stocked 270 Hawkeye at a local gun store that my wife always says is "pretty." I'm always pleased with my one-inch groups with my Howa (it might be normal to you guys but I feel proud of myself every time), so I'm hesitant to purchase a rifle that will cause me to doubt my abilities by being less accurate. Whether it's fair or not, the overwhelming impression I get with the Ruger is that it's "accurate enough for hunting" but not to expect much more than that.

As far as the calibers go, the 30-06 is appealing. I've shot 30-06 rifles before and wasn't left traumatized. I've never shot a magnum of any kind - I will need to make some magnum-shooting friends and see if I'm man enough!

Some Rugers out of the box are fine some need some tinkering or hand loading to get 1” groups. The Tikka is guaranteed to be more accurate out of the box.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 6.5 CM would be more than sufficient for cow elk. A logical step up would be a std .30 such as 308 Win or 30-06, both excellent NA big game chambers. The 30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag are so close in field ability, except 30-06 would provide more punch on very large game with its heavier bullet weights, while the 7mm RM would have advantages with 140-162 grain loadings for prairie game such as pronghorn and mule deer a county away and in any alpine setting where a flat shooting gun can save on hiking a bit further.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pine Tree,

A backup rifle is a good idea... only needed one a couple of times for scopes that have failed. An extra scope sighted in with detachable mounts would have sufficed and been a lot easier to carry in the truck.

I'm in the .308 Win. and 30-06 camp since you don't reload. Or the 6.5 Creed in a different rifle. All three calibers have reasonably priced ammunition.

I'd take a look at the Tikka T3X, lighter than your Howa, probably be just as accurate (I've had a couple). The detachable magazines may be a plus where you hunt.

Always happy to hear from folks that are getting into hunting.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
I think the 375 H&H is a great idea. Way big step up in power and can still use lighter bullets and lower recoil loads if necessary. I went to Africa for the first time shortly after getting my first one.

You can “never” go wrong with a nice, lightweight .375 H &H! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
H
OP Offline
H
I'm surprised by the enthusiastic response for 30-06. I hadn't really considered it. I've spent a lot of time reading posts from people like Formidilosus and Big Stick, and much of what they say makes sense to me although I get that Big Stick bothers some people. They've got me drinking the 6.5 creedmoor kool-aid, and I even have one of the 6x SWFA scopes (it is great even though I almost never dial). My hunting partner is very skeptical of me using my creedmoor rifle on elk. But obviously I'm open to new ideas, or I wouldn't have asked this question.

My creedmoor rifle is heavy compared to lots of hunting rifles (weighs about 8.75 lbs all up). This is great for recoil, and I don't mind carrying it. I think maybe something lighter could be a good direction to go... use my current rifle for practice and as a second rifle, and maybe get something lighter for hiking around or for my wife to use. I'd probably go with another 6.5 creedmoor just to keep things similar and so that the lightweight rifle wouldn't be a big step up in recoil. Of course any rifle gets quite a bit heavier with these SWFA scopes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you just have to have a bigger rifle, I'd look for a bullet with a similar BC as the one you prefer in the 6.5, then look for a case that can shoot it to similar speeds. That way the trajectory will match up quite well. Just some looney thoughts.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't remember which amendment it is, but somewhere in the Bill of Rights it states, "Every man, who is a citizen of the United States, is required to own at least one bolt action rifle chambered in 30-06."

Take a hard look at a 200 grain bullet at 2550-2575 fps for the 30-06. It carries near 2000 ft-lbs of muzzle energy to 300 yards, and shoots flatter than you think.

Consider a Weatherby Vanguard S2, or Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by buttstock
I don't remember which amendment it is, but somewhere in the Bill of Rights it states, "Every man, who is a citizen of the United States, is required to own at least one bolt action rifle chambered in 30-06 Or a Garand."

There fixed it for you...

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 05/07/20. Reason: To correct a constitutional error

Si vis pacem, para bellum
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by pointer
If you just have to have a bigger rifle, I'd look for a bullet with a similar BC as the one you prefer in the 6.5, then look for a case that can shoot it to similar speeds. That way the trajectory will match up quite well. Just some looney thoughts.

Now you've given me math homework...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer

Now you've given me math homework...

A 270 or 280 or 7mm-08 with certain loads would be close. I personally think there’s not too much difference under 300yards between the 6.5 and 30-06 to worry about it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been shooting and hunting for a few years now (I didn't grow up doing either). I own two centerfire rifles - a .223 and a 6.5 creedmoor. Both are typical sporter weight rifles with 6x scopes. I've hunted coyotes and taken a few deer, and I've been happy with both rifles. I've been saving up for a new gun, and now I have enough saved up and I'm not sure what to get. I have thought about getting a second big game rifle. This year I'm hoping to draw an antlerless elk tag here in South Dakota, and I feel confident using my 6.5 creed for that, but I wonder what would happen if I had an issue with my rifle during elk season. Seems like a second rifle in a big game caliber would be useful. Plus, my wife is interested in starting to hunt with me and we could use another rifle for that.

What do you guys think? Have you ever needed a backup rifle on a hunt?

Also, I can think of two different approaches to getting another rifle. I could get another 6.5 creedmoor - that way I can use the same ammo between both rifles. Also, 6.5 creedmoor ammo is cheap and fun to shoot. I wouldn't want to get the exact same rifle, so maybe I could go in a different direction with it, but I'm still in the early stages of brainstorming.

The other approach would be to get something in a more powerful caliber - something that's a clear step up from the creedmoor like 7mm rem mag. This could be nice if I someday desire to extend my hunting range beyond my current 300 yards. Still, I don't know how often I'd actually shoot the thing. Ammo costs more, recoil is worse, and I don't have access to a 1000 yard shooting range.

Any suggestions? Any other info that would be helpful for me to provide?

It never hurts to have another rifle ready to go, so you aren't sitting at the range instead of hunting. It's a personal decision and no one can make it for you, so ultimately do what you want to do. Another 6.5 Creedmoor would be fine, maybe you could get a heavy barreled version. If there is another cartridge you have always wanted to try, then go for it... 243 Winchester, 270 Winchester, 30-06 Springfield, 308 Winchester, or the 7mm Remington Magnum like you suggested. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

170 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 360bull, 32 invisible), 1,244 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,464
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.