Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I have an opportunity (I think/) to hunt axis deer in very tight quarters near a river. There are a few houses around, about 1/2-3/4mi away from prime area. Obviously I know better than to shoot in the direction of a house/people. Since one of my 6.5CM's wears a suppressor, I'm thinking to be double safe I'd may try some subonic loads using maybe 140 gr bullets, or even 130 should work. Shots should be well under 100 yds. Anybody ever messed with a 6.5CM subsonic round? I'd appreciate some load data if possible. Thanks.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I've killed a ton of them on small acreage tracts here near Kerrville. They're all 10 acre tracts and several neighbors close by, but not in the line of fire and I had a huge fallen oak tree as a backstop I didn't ever really worry about the noise. I used my suppressed Bushmaster shooting 64 gr. Winchester Ranger PowerPoints. The range was 63 yards and most, if not all of the does, dropped in their tracts. I had two bucks run, but they only ran about 30 yards and never made it off the property.

I'd shoot what you already have and not worry about it. We hear gunfire out here all the time and no one ever worries about it.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My bud shoots heavies (150-160) w/ Trailboss for just over 1000fps. I’d probably start around 10.5grs
And work my way down to preferred velocity. I’ve loaded for a few sub 308’s and he says it’s nearly as easy with the Manbun.

100% Public land DIY!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would be more concerned with the bullet than the noise. I have used the 120 Hertenberger bullets when a ricochet was a concern and at 6.5x55 velocities they would usually stay in a deer. There should be other bullets that are more available that should work.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would use the 100 grain ballistic tip, you may find a heavy bullet won’t stabilize that slow

IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Tejano
I would be more concerned with the bullet than the noise. I have used the 120 Hertenberger bullets when a ricochet was a concern and at 6.5x55 velocities they would usually stay in a deer. There should be other bullets that are more available that should work.

This.

OP, maybe you should revisit why you think a subsonic load will be "safer". They'll still easily travel far enough to hit a house 1 mile away, and are far more likely to penetrate through a deer intact to cause damage on the far side.

Using your suppressed Creedmoor with high velocity bullets of lighter construction that are less likely to exit or ricochet in one piece is a much "safer" method, in my experience. And I say that after a LOT of experimenting (i.e. shooting, and shooting some more) with subsonic bullets of many flavors.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
If you took the time to read the situation, and not revert to being the perpetual smartazzzz that you are, you'd get it. I don't know diddlysquat about subsonic loads, bullets, etc.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Well now that we know you're subsonic dumb, let me give you some valuable advice. Load a ladder test then shoot your highest charge and work your way down. This is opposite what one would do with supersonics and helps keep you from sticking bullets in the barrel.

Subsonic hunting is not something to just jump into feet first. It's a very complicated quest that takes time and experience to master. Shot angles, shooting calm versus spooked game, bullet expansion at lower velocities, and the factors go on and on. Practice alot and test your bullet in some medium beside wild animals first. You owe it to the game to be the very best hunter you can. It's almost a night and day experience from hunting with supers.

While this thread is 300BLK specific it does shed alot of light on subsonic hunting in general.

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=87186

Thanks, Dinny

Last edited by Dinny; 05/09/20.

Medics bury their mistakes..
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JG,
I am a novice at this subsonic stuff too. Following this with interest as I have a 6.5 I want to develop a subsonic load for and have not gotten around to it. I am going to use some 123gr Hornady SST's over Trail Boss, when I get around to it.

Besides 22 rimfire subsonics, my only experience has been with a 338-06, Trail Boss and some 280gr bullets and I did the reverse ladder thing starting with higher power loads and working down with a chrono. I just picked up some 200gr 338 Hornady FTX bullets as they should be a softer bullet. The loads are ready to go, just have not had time to get to the range to test them.

Make sure your bullets are stable before shooting them through a suppressor, have read many instances of guys beating up the inside of their suppressors with unstable bullets.

I forgot to mention that Hodgdon has information on their website for developing Trail Boss loads.

Last edited by CRS; 05/10/20.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I load Trailboss for 308 sub loads. I’ve wacked a good many pigs with them at 50 yards. I use 170 Nosler 30-30 hollow points. That load does a good job on pigs.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The issue with sub-sonic loads for hunting is that you are greatly reducing velocity and this means that the bullet is now impacting game at a much lower speed than the bullet was designed to operate.
Given the distance from houses that the OP is, and a very limited number of shots, I don't see the need for a suppressor let alone sub-sonic.
If folks would be honest about it, the overwhelming majority just want a play-toy...

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I bought mine because some of the girls on my deer lease whined about me shooting pigs during hunting season.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 204guy, 222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,530
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.