-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can handle my Kayak many times better than my canoe by myself. There’s no comparison to me.

Solo=kayak for me every time.

Still take the canoe quite a bit when going with a partner, but I’ll never have that thing out again by myself.

I’m in rivers 90% of the time, but I don’t see a pond being that much different. Although if it’s your pond and you won’t be moving the boat much, I might would look into a Jon boat instead.

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
@Holston, Curious, if plastic kayak and plastic canoe are comparable weight, what are the factors that make the kayak easier to handle solo than the canoe? No experience with either one.

B
BKS Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Nucanoe Frontier 12 is what I just ordered.
I have a Jackson Mayfly and have also fished from a Pelican Catch 120. I’m 6’4” and around 280.
None have had trouble accommodating me, tackle and a 30qt cooler full of ice and drinks.

I can stand and fly fish in the Jackson and fully expect it to be even better/easier in that Nucanoe

I just wanted the Frontier for the seat as my knees aren’t getting any better and I like the thought of it swiveling around.

Last edited by BKS; 05/23/20.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The problem I find with 2 man canoes is that, in windy conditions, they are very difficult to control if seated in the rear. They just get pushed around too much with the light front. If seated in the front, they are very difficult to turn. If you were to kneel in the middle, you wouldn't have a seat and many canoes would be too wide to comfortably paddle. I don't have experience with smaller canoes that may be better suited for a single occupant.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GUhunter
The problem I find with 2 man canoes is that, in windy conditions, they are very difficult to control if seated in the rear. They just get pushed around too much with the light front. If seated in the front, they are very difficult to turn. If you were to kneel in the middle, you wouldn't have a seat and many canoes would be too wide to comfortably paddle. I don't have experience with smaller canoes that may be better suited for a single occupant.

I just put a trolling motor up under front seat when I paddle solo in my cano. 20 year mad river explorer. Works pretty good. I ve been looking at a Grumman freighter locally which I had in the past.

Like to try out the nucanoe some day.No local dealers though

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have an inexpensive 11 foot kayak that I fish out of alot. I like it because it is lightweight and I can throw it in the back of the Jeep and toss it over railings to get into places that others don't fish. However, this past week I rented a Hobie Outback with the pedal drive when I was in the Keys and I will say that it is night and day compared to my current set up. Being able to fish from a kayak without a paddle is awesome. It is a much more efficient way to fish. I even caught a couple of fish while trolling a lure going from A to B.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Holston
6’7” and use one of the 12ft Ascends from Cabelas. Plenty of leg room with seat all the way back, I actually don’t have the foot rests all the way out.

Respectfully disagree. I have a 12 ft ascend. Stable yes, but paddles like a barge and the front end sits so low, a small chop in the water splashes over the bow slightly and mild rapids in a river jump over the bow as well, flooding the whole deck. I have 3 different sit on top kayaks and my ascend is the only one that takes on water inside the hull. Only about a pint or two on a 5 hour float, but enough to be annoying.
I would stay away from anything Bass pro or Cabellas or dicks or academy. Go with a real kayak company that builds quality stuff. (Kind partial time Jackson’s myself).

Last edited by RatherBHuntin; 08/02/20.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,474
Posts18,451,783
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.