Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14851797 05/05/20
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Looking for ideas, Weatherby Vanguard in 350 Legend, low light, shots 100 yards or less, what scope due I mount on this new creation.

Thanks!

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
www.txduckhunts.com - "The Home of Quack and Squeal Hunts"
BP-B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Well, I just bought an upper and scoped it with a NF 2.5-10 x 32 with the Mildot reticle. I have another with the 42mm objective and it was a tossup which one to mount. Might still swap them out - IDK. But I expect to possibly shoot more than 100 yards. Maybe 300 tops. The NF will give me positive adjustments and I don’t think you could ask for better reticle than illuminated Mildot.

My 2 cents.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Where'd you find a 350 legend weatherby rifle?

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I bought a very nice weatherby vanguard (older model) in .223 and shipped it to JES Reboring ( 35caliber.com), 10 days later I have a 350 legend LOL

I wanted a straight wall cartridge for the states that allow them instead of slug guns, but I hate the plastic clip guns that are out there now, I have a Ruger American set up to shoot suppressed subsonic, gun is deadly accurate but dropped the clip on the floor and the clip goes in 4 pieces and I have a single shot, all the guns I seen had the plastic clip syndrome or at least that what I thought, when I seen they would rebore, I was all over a real rifle. I have the a weatherby same vintage in 300 win mag. and it has never let me down, so it was simple plus the price was really right for the donor gun LOL

Last edited by captjohn; 05/06/20.

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
That's awesome, pretty much exactly how I feel about my RAR and savage 220. Carry an extra mag with both in case one breaks. Good luck with the search.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
" low light, shots 100 yards or less"
100 yds or less: low magnification Fixed: 1.5x, 2x, 2.5x or Variable: 1x to 4x
low light: the largest diameter lenses you are comfortable with

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just mounted a Burris four x 1.5-6x42 with the #4 illuminated dot. Should make a great deer woods scope. Cameraland had a open box one for $229 TMD.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by captjohn
I bought a very nice weatherby vanguard (older model) in .223 and shipped it to JES Reboring ( 35caliber.com), 10 days later I have a 350 legend LOL

I wanted a straight wall cartridge for the states that allow them instead of slug guns, but I hate the plastic clip guns that are out there now, I have a Ruger American set up to shoot suppressed subsonic, gun is deadly accurate but dropped the clip on the floor and the clip goes in 4 pieces and I have a single shot, all the guns I seen had the plastic clip syndrome or at least that what I thought, when I seen they would rebore, I was all over a real rifle. I have the a weatherby same vintage in 300 win mag. and it has never let me down, so it was simple plus the price was really right for the donor gun LOL

There was a Ruger American in 350 Legend at a local Store the other day...the magazine was Metal, not plastic..
It had a short barrel like the Ranch Rifle, but had the Predator contoured barrel on it..
price was $449.00...

If I lived back in the Midwest again and thought I needed one.. I'd put one of those AR 1 x 4 or 1 x 6 style scopes on it..

Was thinking about the same scope if I end up going with a 6.5 Grendal in the Ruger American Predator...
if they are good enough for an M16 in Military use.. they certainly will work in the range I'd use the Grendal..
The 350 Legend is probably equal to my old 444 Marlin's effective range... 175 to 200 yds...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anything with an exit pupil over 5 should work fine. A 6x42 should be great, without being too much up close. I have an 8x56 illuminated Hawke that's pretty nice, but at 22oz, a pretty big load, so it sits on the shelf most of the time.

Now that I have a Contender rifle frame, there are a number of good choices to be had if I ever hunt the Midwest. I'd lean towards the .444 or .450 Bushmaster, both available for G2s from MGM.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The Ruger I have with a plastic clip is a 308, I know the one you speak of though but I think that hangs down and hold several more rounds. I purchased a Vortex 1.5-8 with a lighted reticle, it will probably get a bit of work in the winter watching a pig feeder and then never seems to happen in broad daylight LOL

One of my the guys that runs a boat for me hunts here and has a 44 magnum Ruger, his kids have killed several deer here with that, but usually the shots are extremely close, I would not think the 350 Legend was intended for much over 200 yards. I just like odd guns so doing a rebore was kind of interesting, we will see how it shoots.

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trijicon 2.5-10x56 accupoint.

Super bright big green triangle reticle

Last edited by Mjduct; 05/31/20.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I put a Nikon Spur Reddot on a 350 Legend upper and works great at 100 yards. Was shooting different 5 round mags in an AR for function tests trying to duplicate 2nd or 3rd round jambs. I was surprised at my 30 shoot group at 100yd with the Nikon Spur. Ordered another one and have it mounted on a Marlin 1895SS in 45-70. Shorter range thumpers. When night falls, thermal comes out....

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Weatherby now makes the 350L witch I just ordered. I’m going to mound a leupold 3-9x40 tactical on it. Sound like a fun caliber.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm running a VX5 2-10 on my CVA Cascade in .350L. I'm pleased with the scope and think it's the perfect power range for the 350L.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I got a PM from Doc Encore, (who has sadly since left us due to cancer ), where I had questioned the reason for the 350 Legend.

I bought two of them on close out since Walmart is getting out of the gun business, for $225 a piece, but strictly for rebarreling, I've done one in a 17 Fireball the the other has a 6 x 45 barrel coming...The rifles were Savage Axxis 2s.

Doug's PM told me of how he had been a member of a hunt club in Maryland, and they annually take out kids from single parent homes, to hunt on several farms owned by one gentleman in Maryland, who is one of the more financially wealthy guys in the state. This is on private property so their laws are different for this annual event this club does.

Kids are taken out one on one, with an adult, and they hunt until they get a deer, regardless of the number of days that may take. The owner of the property also supplies most of the guns and equipment for the kids to hunt, as he owns a couple of gun shops within the state also. Doug told me that they had 32 kids they were going to take out that year, and they had to supply 25 of the guns the kids were going to hunt with. They had picked the 350 Legend.

Doug told me to not discount the caliber at all. Each kid had manage to eventually take a deer, and each of the 25 different 350 Legends that they let the kids use.. ( and then gift them to the kid, if mom approves) ALL managed to take their deer within 75 to 125 yards. Working with the kids and practice, the bullets were placed in the right spot. Each time the 350 put the deer down.. no runners or blood trails to follow.

He ended his PM, with " Don't discount what that little cartridge can do!"

Sadly Doug has left us, but it was good to count him as a real friend...we were both heavily involved in Boy Scouts.

But I don't think I could get a better endorsement of a gun or cartridge than Doug gave me on the 350 Legend, and I was impressed on how it was for taking disadvantaged kids on their first hunt.

Miss ya Doug....RIP my friend!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I bought a Leupold 350 Legend special. Works

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've got 2 Legends, one an Encore the other an upper I built. I put Athlon Midas BTR Gen 2 1-6x24 scopes on them. Illuminated reticle that goes dim enough to not fill the edges of the scope with red glare, MOA reticle, nice covered turrets and great eye relief. https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...0136-33e6-00163ecd2826?variation=2170905 Price has gone up a little but still worth it. Oh and SFP.

Proper prior practice prevents piss poor performance!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just bought a CVA Scout for Illinois deer hunting. Moved the Nikon Buckmaster BDC 3x9 from the Savage 220. May be overkill but I might as well use it. I plan on using the BDC feature as I sometimes hunt ag fields.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 350 L in a Winchester. I put a VX3i 2.5-8x36 on it. I had planned to use it as a woods rifle in big timber in Ohio where 75 yards is a very long shot. Plans changed this last year and we ended up on a farm with much longer shots across harvested bean fields. Shots possible out to 200 yards. I thought about replacing it with a 3.5-10 prior to the hunt but decided to go with what I had on it. I shot a Buck and a doe both at over 180 yards with no issues. Still kicking around the higher power scope but I will likely roll next year with what I have on it.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,583 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.