Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ole_270 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Gun in question is a New Model Blackhawk Flattop Stainless 4 5/8" 45 convertable. Medium frame with a tall front sight.
Which do you like for field use. Crossdraw or standard strong side? Pancake or western?
I'm not looking for a quick draw TV movie rig, or a Cowboy Action rig. Secure, comfortable, with maybe a hint of old time looks. ideas?

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I do cross draw when in the saddle when carrying and leading a pack mule. Less chance of getting the lead rope snarled in the hand gun grip. When not riding, I still do cross to stop my rifle from banging in to the grips when I sling the rifle on my right shoulder.
Those 4 # Blackhawks,even the 4 &5/8 barrels, are a heavy load to carry on my belt at my age.I switched to a J Frame .357 Smith 3" snubby if carrying my rifle or ML. In the saddle, my 4" Ruger, Security 6 in.357.Nothing fancy ,usually a plain leather belt Hunter holster with a good over the trigger strap

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For revolvers I have always wanted a cross draw. I am right handed and it carries better for myself. Most often a personal preference. Pick the holster that fits best. Yes without trying one very hard to do. Perhaps why I have several that don't get used much.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have a lot of both but mostly use cross draw rigs & shoulder rigs for hunting. It's kind of a personal thing but I think you'll find the cross draw more comfortable & a bit easier to get to, especially if you're wearing something over the top of it. Also a bit easier on horse back. My opinion.

Dick

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had my 45 colt 7 1/2" bisley cut down to 4 5/8" by Cole Linbaugh and got a simply rugged pancake holster that you can go both strong side and cross draw. Like Saddlesore said I usually wear cross draw as it works better in the saddle, with a rifle slung, with a back pack, and on an atv.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Which do you like for field use. Crossdraw or standard strong side? Pancake or western?

I hate questions like these. I always end up convincing myself I need all those holsters to take care of any contingency of weather, season and clothing.

Ole_270 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have the Simply Rugged Pancake for the 1911, may wear it crossdraw for a few days to see how I like it. Not sure it's canted as much as fixed crossdraws are though.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The Simply Rugged is a switch hitter, as is the Galco SAO. Single Action Outdoorsman.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I usually use a cross draw holster for barrels 6" and strong side for the shorter ones. The cross draw is more comfortable in the truck and for the reason stated above. It's out of the way for hunting and easier to get to when wearing winter clothes or rain coats. That being said I do own a lot more strong side holsters. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gun in question is a New Model Blackhawk Flattop Stainless 4 5/8" 45 convertable. Medium frame with a tall front sight.
I'm not looking for a quick draw TV movie rig, or a Cowboy Action rig. Secure, comfortable, with maybe a hint of old time looks. ideas?

For field use, particularly with a slung rifle, a belt-mounted crossdraw can't be beat. For general carry around the farm, I like a straight drop, strong side belt holster that keeps the gun up out of the way.

Last edited by SargeMO; 05/08/20.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I prefer strong side. I carry my 4-5/8" super blackhawk in a Bianchi 1L "Lawman" holster. Before this .44, that holster carried 2 different .44 magnum vaqueros and a .45 Colt stainless Blackhawk. You might say I like it. Another good option (IMHO) is the El Paso Saddlery 1920 / "Tom Threeperson" holster. Mine is for a 6-1/2" Ruger Bisley .454 with the long ejector housing though I use it for a 6-1/2" blackhawk 10mm/.38-40 as well. It is a great feeling, great fitting holster, and I'm sure it would be a good choice for the shorter barreled gun as well.

More often than not, I prefer to carry a slung rifle muzzle down on my left side with the stock behind my shoulder. For me that is much faster to get into action than a rifle muzzle up on my right shoulder. That being the case, strong side handgun carry is preferable, for me, even when carrying a rifle.

The only time I do cross draw, of sorts, is backpacking where I use a chest rig. I have a couple of El Paso Saddlery 1942 tankerman holsters but more and more I turn to the Diamond D alaska guide model. The "E-P-S" holster attaches to the pants belt via a small drop loop for stability. This still conflicts with the pack belt, not as much as a hip holster, but some. The Diamond D holster attaches to its own belt that rides higher above the pack waistband so there is no conflict at all.

With the fairly high ride of the Bianchi 1L, I don't have any issues with belt carry when I'm driving. In a vehicle, cross draw makes sense for the driver with a longer barreled gun. Strong side is still better for the passenger so the gun is not pointing at the driver.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer crossdraw for general field use. I have 2 of the Galco crossdraw/strong side holsters that can be used either way and I like them a lot. "Single Action Outdoorsman".
https://www.galcogunleather.com/sao-single-action-outdoorsman_8_4_1262.html

Last edited by 270winchester; 05/09/20.

Deus Juvat

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the Simply Rugged Pancake for the 1911, may wear it crossdraw for a few days to see how I like it. Not sure it's canted as much as fixed crossdraws are though.

Got one for a Vaquero and it seems plenty canted for cross with the belt going through the third slot.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I love my cross-draw for hunting because it doesn't scratch up my rifle while it's slung on my shoulder and also works better while riding in a vehicle.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Strong side.

Buy a full rig. Makes life much easier.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Cross draw. You can draw with either hand.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Love crossdraw for revolvers, particularly when carrying a long gun, plus they ride perfectly out of the way and lightning fast accessible in the pickup.

Trump Won!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,633
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.