Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I am trying to find a load for my 6.5-284 and have found a load with RL-22 that gives me 3 holes touching at 100, but its only running 2747. I can bump up the powder enough to give me 2840fps, but the group opens up to just over 3/4 inch. Do the experts think I could play with seating depth and shrink that bigger group down closer to the first one?

I have a 24" barrel so im definitely gonna be slower than the competition guys.

TIA

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It’s quite likely, but there’s only one way to find out...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Accuracy trumps velocity ever time.100fps isn't going to buy much in way of ballistics. However, some rifles like a bit more jump than the typical. 020 off the lands.

Depends on how many time you shot the 3 hole group that doesn't count for much vs 5 hole groups and how much time you have on your hands.

Personally I would go to the range and shoot at least 4-5 , 5 shot groups then make your decision if you want to tweak seating depth, but don't play around with 3 shot groups and one of.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
How far do you plan to shoot?

Put the velocities through a ballistics program and look at the difference at your maximum hunting distance. It likely won’t be much.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We may be missing the reason for the post.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AMoore141
I am trying to find a load for my 6.5-284 and have found a load with RL-22 that gives me 3 holes touching at 100, but its only running 2747. I can bump up the powder enough to give me 2840fps, but the group opens up to just over 3/4 inch. Do the experts think I could play with seating depth and shrink that bigger group down closer to the first one?

TIA

Have a rifle shooting just over 3/4" and you want to fix it?

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by DonFischer

TIA

Have a rifle shooting just over 3/4" and you want to fix it?

I would't say "fix" but nothing better than getting the most our of my rifle that I can get....IMO.

Originally Posted by 5sdad
We may be missing the reason for the post.

Guess I was simply asking if the harcore reloaders have much luck trying to finetune group size by adjusting seating depth. I dont have access to a shooting range near my house so Im reloading and then driving 30 min to the range. Not able to "play" with loads as much as some are so just trying to save myself some steps. Thats all.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
How far do you plan to shoot?

Put the velocities through a ballistics program and look at the difference at your maximum hunting distance. It likely won’t be much.

I dont plan to hunt past 400 really, but would like to be able to "play" 6-7-800 if I wanted to.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd play with it, but mainly just to see what I could see...not for the extra 93 fps. For me it's quite often just a quest of curiosity.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

Guess I was simply asking if the harcore reloaders have much luck trying to finetune group size by adjusting seating depth. I dont have access to a shooting range near my house so Im reloading and then driving 30 min to the range. Not able to "play" with loads as much as some are so just trying to save myself some steps. Thats all.

In a word, yes.

I tend to start the journey by selecting a powder that gives me the velocity I want at 96-99% fill. I like a full case but I don’t want a compressed load.

Then I use the Berger seating depth test method:

https://bergerbullets.com/getting-the-best-precision-and-accuracy-from-vld-bullets-in-your-rifle/

I’ve always found success with this process. I posted an extreme example on this forum a few years ago, .30-06, 185 VLD Hunting, Hunter powder at max recommended charge.

I always start with the shortest loads, since I can shorten long loads if I find precision quickly. My first group looked like a shotgun pattern, maybe 4 1/2” spread. The next group cut the spread in half, and the third group had all the shots touching. The difference between group one and two was 0.038”, and the difference between group two and three was 0.042.” So from 4 1/2” to touching was 0.08.”

Velocity without pressure is first, then precision. Remember to stay safe.

I’m lucky that I can velocity/pressure test off my back deck.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks Pharm......have never really seen it approached that way. I can get the velocity I want out of RL22 easily if the higher end towards max would group right. My largest group at or slightly above max was only about 1.5 inches with no pressure signs. and that would give me around 2950 if I remember correctly.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
If you are shooting a VLD style bullet, OAL seems to be more important than with a standard cup and core bullet.

But yes, OAL can make a significant difference.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Many times the magazine box defines maximum COAL, unless you want to single shots. I don't see much sense in chasing that COAL if the round won't fit in the hunting rifle

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Many times the magazine box defines maximum COAL, unless you want to single shots. I don't see much sense in chasing that COAL if the round won't fit in the hunting rifle

Sometimes, not "many times". I can load to the lands on 95% of all my rifles without stretching the OAL to mag box length. Maybe you are buying the wrong rifles?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Sometimes, not "many times". I can load to the lands on 95% of all my rifles without stretching the OAL to mag box length. Maybe you are buying the wrong rifles?

I have 2 model 70’s that have a ton of free bore and my mag box determines my OAL. My 375 H&H has .200 thousandths jump, bullet is touching the lands at 3.800, my mag box 3.600. My 300 weatherby is the same way. My model 70 300 wsm I touch the lands before I run out of mag box.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

I have 2 model 70’s that have a ton of free bore and my mag box determines my OAL. My 375 H&H has .200 thousandths jump, bullet is touching the lands at 3.800, my mag box 3.600. My 300 weatherby is the same way. My model 70 300 wsm I touch the lands before I run out of mag box.

You have half a day, ill give you a list of all my rifles that if i load to mag length, id be jamming the fu cking bullet into the lands.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

You have half a day, ill give you a list of all my rifles that if i load to mag length, id be jamming the fu cking bullet into the lands.

Wo calm down buddy, go grab a Olympia beer and relax

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bullet profile matters.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Maybe I am reading you wrong, but which are you saying?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S

I’m about half and half but a quick measure before I start with a chosen bullet fixes that.

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,189
Posts18,465,772
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.