Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
rte Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It never ceases to amaze me at the number of important issues in which this president has been involved.He has an innate intelligence that I've failed to fully comprehend.Because of his actions in protecting this nation from economic destruction posed by China and all of the previous presidents who turned a blind eye to China's economic aggression, I now know President Trump possesses such intelligence.

From re-negotiating trade deals,which benefit our nations workers,to encouraging and perhaps even threatening industries to bring back their manufacturing facilities to the US,he has been intimately involved.

While performing his duties admirably,has has taken the time to expose the deep state and their apparatchiks in the fake news media.

Here is another example of our president becoming involved in an action that was flying under the radar which may have benefited our economic enemy.

Trump moves to block vast federal retirement fund from investing in China as anger mounts.

President Trump is moving to prevent a major federal pension fund from investing American cash in Chinese companies accused of human rights abuses.

The actions come amid growing anger over China’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic and as the White House monitors the country’s progress in meeting the terms of January’s trade deal.

On Monday, the White House named three nominees for the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board, which oversees a retirement savings fund for everyone from administration officials and members of Congress to military personnel.

It has been under intense pressure to reverse a decision to allow the Thrift Savings Plan’s $50 billion international fund to track an index that includes China-based stocks.

On Thursday, an official confirmed the motive behind the nominations.

“Obviously, the president doesn’t want this investment to take place and is looking for other alternatives,” said a senior administration official. “These individuals will be key to making that happen.”

The index includes Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology, a surveillance company blacklisted by the U.S. Department of Commerce, which said it was “implicated in human rights violations and abuses against the Muslim Uighur minority.”

If confirmed by the Senate, the three – John Barger, Christopher Burnham, and Frank Dunlevy – would leave Obama appointees in the minority, paving the way to undo their 2017 decision. Money was expected later this year to start moving into the MSCI All Country World ex-U.S. Investable Market Index, which invests in emerging markets, including China.

Officials have discussed a range of options for ramping up economic pressure on China, from fresh tariffs to demanding damages from Beijing, but a former official familiar with discussions said the most effective option would be to choke off American investment, such as the pension fund.

“The president is absolutely ready to do it,” he said.

Anti-Beijing rhetoric has intensified in Washington, which has accused China of covering up the early extent of its coronavirus outbreak and failing to warn the world properly. Officials have been trying to build an anti-Beijing coalition, albeit with mixed results.

Other measures in the pipeline include the draft of an executive order moving medical supply chains back to the United States.

The flashpoint could come next week, when the president says he will offer an update on whether China is fulfilling the requirements of the trade deal.

The first phase, signed in January as the novel coronavirus began its spread, committed China to buy an extra $200 billion of American goods in 2020 and 2021. Since then, the COVID-19 pandemic has devastated the Chinese economy, which is only now starting to recover.

Analysis by S&P Global Market Intelligence, Panjiva, shows that China is already $21.2 billion behind schedule in 2020 so far — not even halfway to its target on a monthly basis.

When asked about imposing sanctions on China, Trump said he would address the question at the end of next week.

“They understand they have a deal, and, hopefully, they’re going to get with the deal, and we’ll see,” he told reporters in the Oval Office on Wednesday. “They may. They may not. We’re going to find out.”

Whatever happens next, the cooling in U.S.-China relations comes soon after progress in terms of the trade deal, which drew a curtain on two years of tariff wars.

In an editorial published last week, the state-controlled China Daily said: “The rapport that seemed to have developed between the two countries during their trade talks is now just a distant memory."

And this week, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany highlighted administration accusations that China was slow to share information about the novel coronavirus.

“Right now, it’s a relationship of disappointment and frustration because the president has said how frustrated he is that some of the decisions of China put American lives at risk,” she said.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-from-investing-in-china-as-anger-mounts

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
GB1

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Sounds like a good move to me.

Kind of a “duh” even before the Rona...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Is he preventing every American from investing in these companies? If not, why not? Shouldn't every American be treated the same? I am a Federal employee heavily invested in the TSP (although not the I Fund) and and a very big Trump supporter.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by efw
Sounds like a good move to me.

Kind of a “duh” even before the Rona...

Yet you could bet the Dems will bitch, moan and groan about it, because it was Trump that decided to do it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Makes sense!

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sako76
Is he preventing every American from investing in these companies? If not, why not? Shouldn't every American be treated the same? I am a Federal employee heavily invested in the TSP (although not the I Fund) and and a very big Trump supporter.

It may very well be coming, crystal ball shows much NO China in the near future.

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Trump does those critical things that the demoncraps and RINO's didn't have the balls to do.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
China should be considered a clear and present danger to the national security of the United States.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

You probably believe you're a taxpayer too.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
rte Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
China is reneging on trade agreements they signed and this is just one way of punishing them.

President Trump is depriving them of revenue which they've used in the past to damage our nation.

MAGA.

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like him more and more!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't need the Feds to prevent me from investing in China, I already DON'T invest in China, nor do I intentionally or knowingly buy their products, except for things that were traditionally invented in China like a hand-hammered WOK (I just bought) or hand made China tea sets and chopsticks. I also discovered that McCormick spices come from China and are packaged in Maryland. Gotta watch the labels on the otherwise American sounding companies.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Preventing an individual citizen from investing in China would be an infringement of their rights.

Preventing the federal government from doing so is just exercising the powers vested in the executive branch of the federal government.

Apples and oranges, IMO.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's my money and all the other Federal employees money who participate in the retirement fund, not the Federal governments money, the Fund is managed by appointed people! Horse, I pay Federal income taxes like most Americans, how about you?

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

I don't need the Feds to prevent me from investing in China, I already DON'T invest in China, nor do I intentionally or knowingly buy their products, except for things that were traditionally invented in China like a hand-hammered WOK (I just bought) or hand made China tea sets and chopsticks. I also discovered that McCormick spices come from China and are packaged in Maryland. Gotta watch the labels on the otherwise American sounding companies.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Neat. So your stove is in yer kitchen, huh, OO? wink

Did I hear correctly that Armour is owned by China?

Crap, do I now have to buy Libbys monkey dicks.

Hey, let's invest in the country intent on taking us out.

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/08/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And I thought the Koreans were the ones the Japanese called "the garlic eaters"...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rte

President Trump is depriving them of revenue which they've used in the past to damage our nation.

MAGA.

Hopefully he’ll do the same thing to the democrats.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a start.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So move it to the C or S fund... or one of the many others. I imagine thag the "I" fund will tank until the managers make their adjustments once this happens.
Boy, some folks are pretty ignorant if they believe federal employees don't pay taxes, huh? I know we pay a truckload.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) is a 401k type plan for Federal employees, in which participants can set-aside up to $19,500/year ($26,000 if 50 or older); the same as in a standard 401k plan.

The TSP basically offers 5 investment options (C Fund - S&P 500 Index, S Fund - Small Cap Stock index, I Fund - International Stock Index, F Fund - Corporate Bond Index and, G Fund - Government Bonds). There are also Target Date Funds available that are a blend of the 5 basic plans.

The I Fund, (International Stock Index) is comprised of a basket of index equities from Europe, Australasia and, the Far East (only a portion of which are from China). It would be difficult to just cut out stocks from one country. Yes, it could be done, but would add to the cost of the investment plans.

Another issue that shows Trump's ignorance is that the C fund and S fund include equities of companies that own plants or do business within China. The C Fund, for example, includes General Motors, Apple, Amazon, and other companies that have large Chinese operations. Is he proposing that Federal employees not invest in these companies as well?

Last edited by djs; 05/09/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

394 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,325
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.