Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm coming to the experts here with a slightly off-topic question. I have read that lead-core jacketed bullets can be lubed and resized (for example, from 9.3mm/.366 down to .358) with a pass or two through a Lee resizing die. My question is: Can a copper bullet be resized? Using the same example, do you think I could successfully resize a Barnes 9.3mm TSX flat base down to .358. I thought I'd ask because I'm thinking that copper, soft though it may be, is not as malleable as lead. And that 286 grain TSX would make a heck of a .35 Whelen load. Whaddyathink?

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Anything's possible, but it'll entail a lot of work with a stout press and a really stout bench. Do it in stages, no more than a couple thousandths at a time or you'll really be hating life.

One thing to consider when resizing that dramatically is the accumulation of fins around the base of the bullet. Look closely and if the fin isn't dead even the whole way around you're doing something wrong and creating lopsided bullets. Accuracy will be a sometime thing in that instance. Fins on the base in and of themselves are no friend to accuracy either- a fact proven 110 years ago in Dr. Mann's seminal treatise. The base is the steering end of the bullet after all.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
gnoahh, interesting you mention Dr. Mann's book. I found a copy a few years ago and couldn't wait to dive in. Boy, it's loaded with info...and as dry as a math text book!!

To the sizing of a monometal bullet, I think you're going to need more than a bench press.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the wisdom. I think I’ll cut my resizing teeth on some plain old cup and core bullets and we’ll see where it goes from there.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by sharps4590
gnoahh, interesting you mention Dr. Mann's book. I found a copy a few years ago and couldn't wait to dive in. Boy, it's loaded with info...and as dry as a math text book!!

To the sizing of a monometal bullet, I think you're going to need more than a bench press.

I've read that book over and over during the last 40 years. It is indeed dry reading, and I don't profess to having absorbed more than a percentage of its teachings. The thing that amazes me is that over the years since it was first published in 1909, people have persisted in asking the same questions over and over that were researched and answered in that book. I guess reading books is becoming a lost art anymore. Viva la internet where it's easier to get instant gratification whether spurious or not!! (He says with a touch of sarcasm.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gary, after being on the fire i have a great fear that not only do people not read books ,but their reading comprehension is non exsistant.

Op. Swaging will demand more then your normal press will afford you. I have swaged 458's to 454 and 452. It way as stated , a beast of an effort to do very many.
That said i did get a lee push through and rigged up a mount on my wood splitter to do it . Slow but effortless.
It is possible one could go in steps of reduction and do any desired.
I havent forgotten the promise of 45-70 data. I am having a bad MS day and havent made it upstairs to my gunroom. Will get that for you.
PS would love to see pictures of that FN 45-70. Rare conversion.
Tom

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hydraulic log splitter + Sizing die + ingenuity?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I regularly size .264 bullets down to .260 for an odd German round. C&H supplied the die for me and they go through pretty easy. From my readings over the years going beyond .005 can cause problems with the jacket spring back away from the more malleable lead.

Most of the solid copper bullets have relief grooves that would be lost when resizing.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I haven't read it "over and over" in the few years I've had it but, I have been through it a couple times and a few chapters a little more. By golly, he was nothing if not thorough!!!

I agree about the same questions being asked and deerstalker's comment about reading and comprehension. Why "comprehend" it when you can easily look it up again. That and the resistance to purchasing a loading manual and reading it baffle me. Methinks some actually need beat over the head with a book.

erich is correct about compromising the bond between core and jacket if sized much beyond .005. That's been my experience.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by erich
From my readings over the years going beyond .005 can cause problems with the jacket spring back away from the more malleable lead.

You beat me to it. Call Dennis at Fury Bullets and ask him about sizing jacketed bullets. He's only done it a few million times.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
A buddy had a .44 Auto Mag and he sized down .45 FMJ to .44 in a custom die that he made with a long taper. It still took a stout press and quite a bit of effort.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 81 invisible), 2,660 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.