Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
Hey guys I'm looking for an h&g bullet mold number 68 or a close clone and having trouble finding one. Dont care about how many cavity it is just want one of these molds to make this swc 200gr. If you guys know of anywhere to get one please shoot me an email at justinrivercityinc.net thanks.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've had the original H&G #68 mould and a SAECO copy. The SAECO version shoot at least as well as the original and I think it's still available.

U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
Ok thanks for that info lotech, I'll search for one of the saeco's

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Sorry, Can't help you personally, but have you checked eBay? There's a #68 (200 SWC bevel base) and a #130 (185 SWC) at auction right now. I have one of each and they're about the only bullets I shoot out of my .45's. Those molds would be among the last ones I ever sold, I hold them in such high regard. Good luck in your quest.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Depending how close you need the clone to be - the Lee 200 SWC is certainly not an exact copy, but shoots very well and the six cavity molds are reasonably good quality these days if you don't mind a little bit of mold prep before casting. I've had excellent results with that bullet in every gun that will feed it.

The SAECO molds are obviously much higher quality, but if you can't find one the Lee is readily available.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Cast with an original Hensley & Gibbs mold and you'll never look at a Lee mold again. smile cool

U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
I kinda figured that's the way it would be, I'll keep searching for an h&g , maybe get me a saeco to tide me over ha ha ! I really love these bullets , it's all I shoot in 45 as well but i have been buying them in huge lots and would much rather cast them !

U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
Just looked on ebay and the 68bb was still there , I snagged it . Good find and thanks very much !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad you were able to find one, had a #68 mold a few decades ago but sold it (also a few decades ago) without realizing just how classic it was. For those looking into this thread, Accurate Molds makes a 68 clone in flat and bevel base. I have three of his molds, including the 45-200H, and they are top notch.

45-200H and 45-200HB about 3/4 of the way down this page: H&G 68 clone

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
So this 2 cavity mold I bought has no handles , it says ballisticast and hensley and gibbs on it ! Does anybody know where to.find a set of handles that would fit this thing ?

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Ask Ballisticast? I dunno, mine have their old original handles on them and I never took them off to swap around.

U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
I cant see that ballisticast is still in business everytime I click the website it takes me to some weird domain name registry it's like they dont exist !

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Ballisticast has unfortunately been out of business several years. See if Saeco handles will fit.

At one with the gun.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I would investigate for you too, but most of my molds are "quarantined" in a different spot from where I'm "quarantined". I plan on breaking out later this week and will check out handle interchangeability then if you still need it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The holes will line up okay, but the metal jaws (if that's what they're called) are just a little too thick to fit into the jaw channels of the H&G moulds. My SAECO moulds and handles are all old, my H&G moulds and handles are very old.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like your tag line. since you have fields as your avatar, you have probably heard this one...you ca lead a horticulture but you can't make her think.

Dorothy parker.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Cast with an original Hensley & Gibbs mold and you'll never look at a Lee mold again. smile cool

We'll disagree on that one. I have several original H&G molds; they are good, but for most of my casting I pick up one of the 6 cavity Lees. Ease of use and production volume mean more to me these days than classics and nostalgia, and as for quality - modern CNC machining on these Lee 6 cavity (not the 2 cavity, they still kinda suck) is on a whole different level than what they were making 10-15 years ago and they are actually pretty decent.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
We disagree on a lot of stuff, but I always look forward to reading your posts!

The shooting world is full of mysteries and differing opinions. Most often no single approach, idea, or protocol is the final word- there's just too many ways to skin a cat. Yet a lot can be learned by simply keeping an open mind, and observing how others approach an issue.

I admittedly haven't tried any Lee gang molds, or any other new Lee molds for a while now. I was burned too many times by Lee quality, and divested myself of all of them except two: a 55 grain Bator .22 mold (which serves beautifully in most everything I've used it for) and an 8mm Karabiner mold in case I ever fall prey to another 8mm milsurp with a shot out throat. H&G molds were certainly a product of the "analog era", but those guys bent over backwards to make/sell molds that were about as precise as humanly possible. Being a human myself, I'll take old stuff made by craftsmen who had to use their brains to achieve perfection instead of relying on a computer to guide the tool. It means something to me. Heavy? Sure, but that's why God gave us mold guides on our bottom pour furnaces.

My #68 and #130 drop bullets of my alloy that are nigh perfectly .452 diameter, and round. Running them into a .452 lube/size die leaves barely a trace of polish anywhere on their surfaces. Plenty good enough for me, and I daresay anybody else. Ransom Rest testing with my 1911's and Gold Cup reveal accuracy waaaay better than I can achieve when shooting off my hind legs!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/13/20.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
We disagree on a lot of stuff, but I always look forward to reading your posts!

I believe that is because we have different goals and interests in our gun hobbies. Nothing wrong with that and you have a lot of good contributions. I think the difference in perspective brings value to the discussions most of the time.

The older Lee stuff was definitely a lot of junk; I have a number of their older molds and they took a fair amount of stoning and tuning to cast well, but the new stuff is a lot better. I still expect to remove a burr from each cavity and degrease them thoroughly, but to be honest I've done the same thing with other higher end aluminum molds too. For some reason the 2 cavity Lee molds seem to be lower quality though; I only buy the 6 cavity versions if they are available now. Also some of their bullet designs are junk, but that 200gr SWC .45 is a good one, as is the little 95gr RF for 9mm (unusual 9mm choice but it shoots really well).

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I miss being able to call Wayne Gibbs and order a mold that would produce a bullet of a specific diameter. When I cast a lot, there was only one mold to buy, a Hensley & Gibbs mold. True Cadillac’s of the bullet casting world. Of course everyone has their own opinion. I would not sell my H & G 68.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1234, 1lesfox, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,556
Posts18,453,657
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.