24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have deer in the yard often, they get ran off quick by the yard labradors. They are here for the persimmon trees in our woodline but they will take a [bleep] out of my bell pepper plants.

Biggest problem I have is raccoons and sweet corn. They show up right about a week before it’s time to pull the ears.

I used to put up low strung electric fence. Now I just set up live traps with little debbie sticky buns and execute the little sombitches.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Friggen Southerners and their gardens producing in early May.............

I hate you folks! laugh laugh

Not really, just jealous War_Eagle. Nice garden there, love the straw mulch. I use it a lot too.

Geno

Well, everything is a compromise. There are a lot of things that we can't grow down here (that y'all can) simply because it is too hot...in fact, once our night temperatures come up to the mid / upper 70's, our tomatoes will stop producing much fruit if at all....which usually happens in late May or June. Then we have to start planning a fall garden for the next chance at tomatoes. This has been an exceptional year though with night tempts in the 60's regularly and even in the 50's when the fronts have come through.

This is my first year with the straw / hay. I have a few layers alternating between hay and oak leaves and I am really digging it. Lot of cottonseed meal too as a slow release fertilizer. The plants seem to be responding well to the combination so I will just keep doing what I am doing and see how it goes through this summer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

Not really, just jealous War_Eagle. Nice garden there, love the straw mulch. I use it a lot too.

Geno

Well, everything is a compromise. There are a lot of things that we can't grow down here (that y'all can) simply because it is too hot...in fact, once our night temperatures come up to the mid / upper 70's, our tomatoes will stop producing much fruit if at all....which usually happens in late May or June. Then we have to start planning a fall garden for the next chance at tomatoes. This has been an exceptional year though with night tempts in the 60's regularly and even in the 50's when the fronts have come through.

This is my first year with the straw / hay. I have a few layers alternating between hay and oak leaves and I am really digging it. Lot of cottonseed meal too as a slow release fertilizer. The plants seem to be responding well to the combination so I will just keep doing what I am doing and see how it goes through this summer.

Best part of the hay/leaves thing, you're composting and adding organic material as you go. In my case, I don't till either. Just leave it rotting, insulating garlic and other stuff that overwinters, and pull it out of the way to let the soil warm and then plant.

You might find you get a bit better production in the warm months as it also serves to keep the soil cooler.

Try living where it gets to over 120F (no heat index, a REAL 120+). Use shade cloth over your tomatoes and peppers, they'll live through the heat and start producing again come fall.

We were at 50F when I turned in at 11:30 last night..............dropped to 30F by 06:00. Ice in the lawn hose again.

Always fun gardening in new places. Been here going on 4 summers now, I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Enjoy your veggies.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

New at this garden thing, only real experience was "child slave labor" for Dad as I grew up! Never knew what/why we were doing things, just did what we were told (who needs a rototiller when you have 4 kids? Funny, Dad has one now! )

Wife and I bought a house and been getting guidance from Dad in MA about when to plant in WY - not ideal.

House we bought has 2 gardens and a green house. So we are in experiment year.

Started tomato, cherry tomato, cukes and squash in the house in April. for some reason transplant to bigger pot killed most tomoto plants.

Around May 1 put things in the ground, as of 2 days ago I had:

In the green house:
- peas started as seed - doing pretty good
- beans started as seed - just came up
- leaf lettuce started as seed - almost big enough to eat now!
- seeded tomato and c tomato directly into ground, starting to come up
- seeded cukes into pot with tomato seeds, starting to come up

In the ground:
- cukes, all dies on a 40mph windy 36 hour period
- tomato and cherry tomato - transplanted 8, 6 died in the wind, last 2 died lsat night with a frost
- seeded peas and beans, starting to emerge
- seeded leaf lettuce - now about 1 inch tall - did fine in frost last night
- seeded romaine about 2 weeks ago, starting to come up

so I started to early, lesson learned!

What could I have covered things with last night? laying a tarp would have squised tomato. What do you cover them with?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Geno

Oak leaves and cottonseed meal here too. I'm guessing you listen to Bill Finch on Sundays grin

This used to be a low spot in the yard. Started adding cypress millings from the shop along with oak leaves a few years ago to build it up. Hasn't been tilled in 5 years now.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got mine planted yesterday and it rained again this morning. Yesterday was the first day, since it got warm enough to plant, that it was dry enough. Planted 2 kinds of peas, 2 kinds of watermelons, squash, cucumbers, snap beans, butter beans, cantaloupe, and set out the tomato plants. Got some of the electric fence up, but not all, and I'm not going to wade in the mud to finish it today.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick

Geno

Oak leaves and cottonseed meal here too. I'm guessing you listen to Bill Finch on Sundays grin

This used to be a low spot in the yard. Started adding cypress millings from the shop along with oak leaves a few years ago to build it up. Hasn't been tilled in 5 years now.

Bill Finch is the MAN! My wife and I call him the Bob Ross of gardening. Guy has been a huge influence on how I garden and manage my yard in the last few years.

My dad listens to him too...I joke that if cut myself deeply and called Bill Finch for advice on what to do, he would probably suggest I put cottonseed meal on it! laugh laugh laugh

Are you on the Mobile or Baldwin county side?

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a very tough time with weeds. I put a lot of composted manure on the garden and I think I seeded the weeds! I bought heavy filter cloth and cut it in either 2 foot widths or 3 foot, and lay it down between the rows to keep weeds down. I don't think straw would be dense enough to keep the light out. I would still like to put something in between the plants like tomatoes where the gap is in the cloth, but don't know what that would be.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Raeford
Nope, our plant date is 5/10, had heavy frost yesterday and low in the 20's tomorrow night.

Wish I had waited till 5/10. I got out the old 249 IH two role planter and tractor and planted about five acres of sunflowers Thursday ahead of the rain for Dove season. We got nearly three inches of rain in a few hours and it overflowed the fescue wash ways and put ruts thru the field like I've never seen before. Probably going to run the tractor and tiller thru it again when it drys up and replant them. Damned if you do and damned if you don't, something to do during quarantine anyway I guess. All good.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm in Baldwin Co. and have learned a lot from Bill Finch too. Funniest thing now is Dad bought a tiller after the spill. He was some kinda proud. As the old garden produced less, we tilled more. Then we started listening to Bill. Now the tiller is more of a mixer in the compost pile. laugh

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have to put out extra rows just for the dogs. This yellow dog picks his own tomatoes and cukes.

He can be hell on vines, he hasn’t mastered technique yet

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by slumlord
We have to put out extra rows just for the dogs. This yellow dog picks his own tomatoes and cukes.

He can be hell on vines, he hasn’t mastered technique yet

That's awesome....haha. Especially love the last pic.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yellow squash, bell peppers, jalapenos, green onions, radishes, garlic, tomatoes.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
I'm in Baldwin Co. and have learned a lot from Bill Finch too. Funniest thing now is Dad bought a tiller after the spill. He was some kinda proud. As the old garden produced less, we tilled more. Then we started listening to Bill. Now the tiller is more of a mixer in the compost pile. laugh

Yeah, he is fervently anti-tiller for sure. My dad and I have both converted to no-till compost gardening at each of our yards. Works great....no weeds to deal with and plenty of organic matter for the plants to feed on.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I got mine in early last week. I'm a bit worried, as temperatures are to get down to around freezing here tonight.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
We are under a frost advisory, next county over is in a freeze watch.

Our last ‘expected’ frosts occurs about April 20

So we always wait till about May 1st to move anything out of the greenhouse.

Elijah told that womern: Kings 2, verse somethin-somethin
Go, borrow thee vessels abroad of all thy neighbours, even empty vessels; borrow not a few.

We scrambled yesterday to round up every bucket or pot to cover all our plants. Got 80ft of cucumber vines tarped. Mehhh, it is what is it is.....

Fred Sanford would blush

Looks like a Gulag/Slave labor camp to me....
Yawhol Obersturmgruppenfuher!!!!

I got 3 tomatoes in the frig right now. grin
LOL!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No???, it’s forking snowing right now!!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I put three tomato plants in the ground on Tuesday and it's going down into the 20's tonight and tomorrow night. Gonna have to cover them up.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I put three tomato plants in the ground on Tuesday and it's going down into the 20's tonight and tomorrow night. Gonna have to cover them up.

What do you cover them with?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
We are under a frost advisory, next county over is in a freeze watch.

Our last ‘expected’ frosts occurs about April 20

So we always wait till about May 1st to move anything out of the greenhouse.

Elijah told that womern: Kings 2, verse somethin-somethin
Go, borrow thee vessels abroad of all thy neighbours, even empty vessels; borrow not a few.

We scrambled yesterday to round up every bucket or pot to cover all our plants. Got 80ft of cucumber vines tarped. Mehhh, it is what is it is.....

Fred Sanford would blush

Looks like a Gulag/Slave labor camp to me....
Yawhol Obersturmgruppenfuher!!!!

I got 3 tomatoes in the frig right now. grin
LOL!!!

So far, she ain’t tatted my wrist yet.

It’s a hard knock life, then you die. Harriet Tubman....help!!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 7887mm08, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.