Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

"We lived with and flew in support of these Green Berets out of Forward Operating Base (FOB)-2 in Kontum Vietnam 1967-1968."

Warren Castaneira

February 25 at 3:09 PM

Here is a re-post on Bubba. We got him in Laos after his mom tramped on a landmine. He was only two days old, but I had him in my jungle jacket wrapped in a towel and when we were extracted we fed him milk and got him started on his way.

He did well because he got much larger than an Asian Tiger usually grew to. His weakness was real beer (He had two cans a day) which he slurped down, went to a corner of the hooch, rolled on his back, showed his junk and snored like it was his last day! If the Bubster wanted to get in your bunk with you, you just rolled over and dealt with it.

It's such a shame so many tigers were killed over there because most were killed for sport and not in self defense.

When we cycled out, the question was, what the hell to do with Bubba? He couldn't survive because he only knew SOG, Special Forces, Seals, etc. Here is where we got creative. We had access to things normal military didn't.

So we got creative and a phone call went to a research zoo in Sidney, Australia and we asked if they wanted a "free tiger?" When the lady at the other end realized we were for real she pissed her pants and said, "Yes, but how do we get him?"

I don't want to reference Air America, but we flew the Bubster to his new home and I got off the airplane with him walking beside me like a dog on a leash. They all went nuts when he walked to the lady and heeled by her side looking at her for instructions. He must have had a very good time and life there because he sired tons of babies.

When I was back in Sidney in 87 I saw a bronze plaque telling about the SF Tiger that came to them in 1969 and made lots a great baby tigers.

That part of my life is gone, like Bubba who lasted to 1985, but every time I hear a Tiger make those special noises my head and heart goes back to a tiny little baby we found in Laos in 1968.

God I miss him! BTW the Bubster never lived in a cage. He was always shown love from a bunch of very dangerous men whose hearts melted when they met him. To discipline him you grabbed a handful of hair and flesh on his shoulder and simply said "no." He never retaliated he just complied.

When I said he never lived in a cage, the decision was made about the zoo where he ended up, because it was a research zoo that was very excited because of gene diversity. It also had the new concept of no animals in cages. People were the ones in cages or behind glass.

It took a bit for him to get back to being a tiger, but after he figured out the male/female thing, nature took its course and he was off to the races and he made a ton of tiger babies who are in zoos around the world.

God Bless, to my knowledge, Bubba was the only Special Forces tiger in the history books.

An interesting side note is that SF and MAC V were in many ways involved with the CIA. The coats and ties back in Langley, VA couldn't understand how our intel was so accurate.

Picture a NVA prisoner strapped into a chair and being questioned. Also picture the prisoner telling us in multiple languages to go F--- ourselves. So a hood goes back on and the prisoner was told to spill the beans or we were going to feed the zip to our tiger. They all laughed their asses off and said we were crazy. Enter the Bubster and we'd have his head about two feet from the prisoner, pull the hood off-- at the same time I would pinch the back of Bubbas neck. He roared in the dinks face with his extremely nasty tiger breath and the prisoner usually pissed his pants or worse while he sang like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

God I miss that stuff. BTW, our intel was so accurate the pencil necks were amazed, but they never found out why!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for posting this.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
That's a great story.

Accurate intel? ...no sheit!

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
God Bless Bubba the Philandering Warrior!!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good post thanks.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So many good stories no one knows about. Thanks for the post.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Great story! Thanks for sharing.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Great story! Fantastic.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have often said that when you hear a story from Vietnam, no matter how batschidt crazy it sounds - it very well may be true.

My only tiger story involved putting a recon team on the ground in Cambodia, and when they jumped off of the helo into tall grass, they landed on a tiger. Not near one. ON it. Much gunfire ensued, and I had to extract the team immediately because of all the ruckus. They brought the tiger carcass back with them.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
THANK YOU !!

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Excellent story! Thank you!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ultra cool story....... Looks like Bubba was also a very good interrogator, and also had no language barrier problems. Very good at getting prisoners to talk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great story. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have a 3 tiger story from Nam, not far from the Laos border. Left them to frolic and perhaps dine on NVA. Very impressive creatures.

They were not intimidated by my chopper.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Bubba was one Of us :-) that was a fantastic story, I have to pass that one around, you guys did an awesome job over there, thank you!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What a good story.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Great post. Thank you !

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Great story , thanks for posting it !

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Great story!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wow!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 55 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.