Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E

12 yo daughter & I had an early June 5D/6N trip postponed by our lovely governess when it was announced that she’d extend out lockdown order into mid-May. Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore can’t hire people fast enough so transport company that boats ya out to North Manitou Island can’t run.

Fine whatever we’ll do Pictured Rocks. I call a spotting service but no call back. Of course Pictured Rocks is a Nat’l Lakeshore too and they’re not even giving out permits until June 25th at the earliest.

Seriously this is the biggest cluster of friggin retardation I’ve ever seen!!!!!

I know I’d not have this problem if I moved west and I’d love to do that but love my wife more so that’s a no go.

Not looking for a solution as much as just complaining. Sorry for being that guy.

Prolly just go up and walk in a few days and then walk back. Might make it more relaxing since we could stay at one site longer. If place is closed then who is gonna “catch” us in the “forbidden backcountry”??

Orwellian joke.

If anyone has suggestions for Michigan area I’m open.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was getting really nervous when Washington and Oregon closed the majority of National Forests; campgrounds, boat ramps, picnic areas, etc- I can see some justification for areas that are high traffic, but they actually closed all trails within as well frown

Fortunately Montana didn't go that route. I'm not a law breaker, but I really couldn't see myself not getting into the backcountry- luckily it never came to that.

They did close Yellowstone National Park early on and Glacier National Park recently rescinded all backcountry permits (they may allow issuing permits first come/first serve in the future).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fucque the commy dicks, go anyway.

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Closing the backcountry makes no sense to me. Where else is it easier to maintain your distance?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whole lot of draconian BS going on.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Control. The ultimate goal of the radical environmentalists is to close off everything and pack the people into a few large cities, turning most of the country into a massive wildlife refuge. If they can get away with this, it's a big step in their direction.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I'm not a law breaker, but I really couldn't see myself not getting into the backcountry- luckily it never came to that.

That’s what really puts me in a pickle here; I teach my children to respect the law and those who are put in place to govern over us (Romans 13).

As others have said this seems like one of those “unwasted crises” custom made for the Leftist. Nice play to remind us who is in charge and ultimately push their preservationist agenda on backcountry.

I told Marian I’d leave it to her; shorten my vacation time and move it later in the summer when we can do North Manitou Island and just do a weekend trip to a shorter, closer trail or go up to the eastern end of Pictured Rocks, walk west for 2 days, find a nice place to make camp and hang out for a day (which sounds great to me) and then head back to the car the way we came.

She went with the latter.

Makes me wonder how long it’s going to be before Conservatives have to seriously consider civil disobedience which keeps to the spirit of laws (I assure you, as has been mentioned, we’ll be ‘social distancing’!) rather than the letter.

Guess this is a good teaching opportunity?

Thanks guys!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho is 60% public land and except for some campgrounds and boat docks, it's all open for recreation.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Idaho is 60% public land and except for some campgrounds and boat docks, it's all open for recreation.

Shhh! 😉

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't think there is big conspiracy to get ultimate control of the citizens or take away our rights. We hear all this clamor about this all being unconstitutional, when in fact there is nothing in the constitution about national emergencies which is what we are seeing now. In normal times, it would be unconstitutional, but not now. IMO it is just the stupidity of people the citizens put in office.Those people are too stupid to even figure something like that out. ( think of Pelosi and Maxine Walters). We have never had an experience like this since the Spanish Flu in the 20's . Government , federal, state, or local have no clue how to handle it so they take the most cautious steps.

Here locally parks are open, but campgrounds in them are closed, the rest is open. My wife had trip to Denali booked in mid June,but Danali is closed. Canceling everything has been a nightmare.

Being rural, nothing has changed much for us.I still go to the range, still go riding in open spaces, still get out and purchase what we need. Can't get into the back country until more snow melts and what is melted is all mud. Some smaller towns are still closed up to tourist because they have very limited medical care and can't take a chance on getting swamped.

This thing isn't going away anytime soon and we are going to be faced with it until probably 2021. People need to get use to what they are going thru now. The problem is also our present day culture. People now figure they can and should be able to do anything they want and the hell with everyone else.That is what happens when you raise an entire generation giving them participation certificates for everything they do.

That's my rant.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
However, if you look at a red and blue map, the areas that are the most restricted are almost all blue. Last week I posted 2 maps, 2016 election, and current restrictions. They very closely matched. The 2016 red states are much more open than the blue states.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Democrats/Left is loving this situation where they can have government ( them) control much of people’s lives. Never let a crisis go to waste. But like the old saying goes....don’t do as I do, do as I say ! The rules only apply to the unwashed masses. In Chicago, you cannot get a haircut, but the mayor can, in NYC you cannot go to parks, but the mayor and his wife can go across the city to go foe a walk in the park. In NYS, the governor orders you to wear a mask and social distance, but his Covid infected brother can go with a bunch of people , not wearing masks, to the Hamptonsto see how his mansion building is progressing. And while golf courses are closed in VA, Obama golfs on his now, private course.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore

People now figure they can and should be able to do anything they want and the hell with everyone else.That is what happens when you raise an entire generation giving them participation certificates for everything they do.

That's my rant.

So you are implying since EFW, Smokepole, mtwarden, RockChuck and others disagree with closing the backcountry they were part of a generation that were given participation certificates for everything they do? Never would have thought that to be the case.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't think saddlesore is talking about the backcountry being closed. More the general situation when you're around other people, just making some allowances.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
OK, sounds better..
However, the extremes some are going to make allowances is getting absurd. Where I’m working social distancing is marginal to put mildly. At least one positive case in our specific hospital department that was quarantined for 2 weeks then returned to work. .

Where his generalization rubs wrong, is everyone I’m with right now is part of the generation he condemns, yet most every day they come to work and often are in close proximity- definitely not social distance-from a confirmed or unknown confirmed case.

Some need to get there ass out of the country every once in awhile and find out how others go about their day.

One could make a generalization re old farts who haven’t learned much, while being blessed with the opportunity to do so.

Last edited by battue; 05/10/20.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by battue
OK, sounds better..
However, the extremes some are going to make allowances is getting absurd. Where I’m working social distancing is marginal to put mildly. At least one positive case in our specific hospital department that was quarantined for 2 weeks then returned to work. .

Where his generalization rubs wrong, is everyone I’m with right now is part of the generation he condemns, yet most every day they come to work and often are in close proximity- definitely not social distance-from a confirmed or unknown confirmed case.

Some need to get there ass out of the country every once in awhile and find out how others go about their day.

One could make a generalization re old farts who haven’t learned much, while being blessed with the opportunity to do so.

I didn't say I disagreed with closing the back country. I think some have a serious lack of understanding what constitutes back country.

I have lived "out of the country" and have seen how others go about their day which is the primary reason I live "out in the country". As for being an old fart, I am, but I learned enough that I don't want to live with the masses because in fact most all want to do what they think they need/want to do and could give a crap about how it effects others. The last 15 years I worked, I hired some of this generation I talked about.They think they get to decide when they come to work and go home, want 30minute breaks morning and afternoon, decide what work they want to do or not and want $60/hour for a $10 an hour job. I grant some of these dumb a$$es have gone to extremes, but as I said, they don't know what is going on so they take the most cautious approach they can. Thru all this and all the complainers I have not read or heard one viable alternative to what has been accomplished. As for learning much, I guarantee, the work I did before I retired would put most to shame and most would not do it on a bet.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/10/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Lot of smart people don’t figure things out.

You want to edit for clarification...You said you did the hiring...then you got what you brought in.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I didn't say I disagreed with closing the back country. I think some have a serious lack of understanding what constitutes back country.

I define it as roadless areas where you have to walk or ride in on a four-legger. And you can get at least a few miles back in away from motorized access.

If you don't disagree with closing that kind of country, what's the rationale for closing it? It's not like any govt. employees have to be there to let you in or take your money. So who's being endangered by leaving the backcountry open?

Even people in the government who support all the restrictions will acknowledge that people still need to get outside for exercise. Where's a safer place to do that than backcountry?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Backcountry is relative....myself a Bud and two others were the only onesTurkey hunting on 1200acres. Bud and I drove up and back together....other than it was social distancing. One doesn’t need to be alone in the middle of the Bob Marshall.

I have 500 acres behind the house that most times I wouldn’t see another.

The extremes others are willing to think the rest of us should abide by are just that.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by battue
Backcountry is relative....myself a Bud and two others were the only onesTurkey hunting on 1200acres. Bud and I drove up and back together....other than it was social distancing. One doesn’t need to be alone in the middle of the Bob Marshall.

I agree 100%. IMO there's no rationale to shut down any land where you're not crowded in with other people. I was just using a roadless area as the most extreme example, as in WFT, over??

Makes absolutely no sense.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,547
Posts18,453,523
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.