-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
And since it’s been 10 years this week since Dad passed, I guess I’ll reflect on both my parents.
I was one lucky SOB to be born where I was, when I was and to whom I was!
I came along late. Mom was already 32, and Dad was pushing 39 up to 40.
Dad was a crane man in a steel mill in Johnstown. Mom was always a housewife after my birth. They’d just bought a new home on 8 acres outside of Pleasantville, at the foot of the mountain.
That meant Dad drove 37 miles one way, but it also meant he had room to start an auto salvage business. I can’t remember too many days he wasn’t working on something other than hunting season.
Mom was always a neat freak. She never had a drivers license until ‘73, and even then seldom drove. She was usually scared in a car, and it got worse after she upset a ‘72 LTD on a patch of ice.
I’d be in the garage helping Dad on Something, and she’d call out for me to run to the store. She’d make me wash up and change clothes, because “you’re not going looking like that”! grin
I think Mom liked to “put on airs” to impress other people. The house was always immaculate if we had company and she set out a big spread for supper. She was a great cook too.
With Dad, what you saw was the man he was. He’d go out of his way to help people, but he always said what he thought too.
We lost Mom on Thanksgiving in 2003. Her health was declining and she caught pneumonia.
Dad kept his own house, and kept working in the garage and hunting. He turned 88 in January of 2010, but he lost out to cancer in May.
There’s never a day I don’t think of either of them, and I always smile and thank God when I do.
Like I said, I was one lucky SOB! smile
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

GB1

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
They both sound like good people. I am lucky to still have both my parents. my dad is 88 and my mom is 84. I wish all mothers a happy mothers day.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
And since it’s been 10 years this week since Dad passed, I guess I’ll reflect on both my parents.
I was one lucky SOB to be born where I was, when I was and to whom I was!
I came along late. Mom was already 32, and Dad was pushing 39 up to 40.
Dad was a crane man in a steel mill in Johnstown. Mom was always a housewife after my birth. They’d just bought a new home on 8 acres outside of Pleasantville, at the foot of the mountain.
That meant Dad drove 37 miles one way, but it also meant he had room to start an auto salvage business. I can’t remember too many days he wasn’t working on something other than hunting season.
Mom was always a neat freak. She never had a drivers license until ‘73, and even then seldom drove. She was usually scared in a car, and it got worse after she upset a ‘72 LTD on a patch of ice.
I’d be in the garage helping Dad on Something, and she’d call out for me to run to the store. She’d make me wash up and change clothes, because “you’re not going looking like that”! grin
I think Mom liked to “put on airs” to impress other people. The house was always immaculate if we had company and she set out a big spread for supper. She was a great cook too.
With Dad, what you saw was the man he was. He’d go out of his way to help people, but he always said what he thought too.
We lost Mom on Thanksgiving in 2003. Her health was declining and she caught pneumonia.
Dad kept his own house, and kept working in the garage and hunting. He turned 88 in January of 2010, but he lost out to cancer in May.
There’s never a day I don’t think of either of them, and I always smile and thank God when I do.
Like I said, I was one lucky SOB! smile
7mm

Nice story. I lost my mom a few years ago. Lots of happy memories.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My mom is 86 & still pretty sharp, still sells some RE & a city council member

I don’t come from lazy people, deeply thankful for such

Happy moms day to all of them, Tis a wonderful gift a loving mother

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mom turned 81 in December.
We have been keeping our distance since we both are working,
don't want to risk spreading something to them.

Last night, we dropped off a dessert and visited. It was nice.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Mom would've been 86 but died in 2016.

The kindest person I've ever known. Not a day goes by without thinking of her.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Mine left 51 years ago on June 19. Gone but never forgotten!! Wish she had been here, 5th grandchild arrived a few minutes ago.

Last edited by hanco; 05/10/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
God Bless Mama.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good thread, lost my mom in 2008, she was a great mom, dad just passed on april 17th, so guess I am an orphan now, sue miss them, wish I had a little more time with both, lots of questons I wish I had asked.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Nice reflections 7mm and your parents sound like wonderful people. I lost my mom 4 years ago and I think about her many many times a day. Dad is still going strong at 81 sitting on several board of directors and volunteer work along with some consulting work. Dad has to stay busy otherwise he’d go crazy.

I too was a lucky kid to have the parents I have. Mom was a stay at home mom but she still worked full time as an organist and choir director at a couple of churches and also as a piano teacher in our home.

I was a “mommas boy” and it was a title that I wore proudly. Before I could drive, and even after I was driving but my car or truck was in the shop and mom took me to high school I always gave her a kiss on the cheek goodbye. It didn’t matter if the entire school was watching, I loved my mom and I was never ashamed to show it. I know my simple expression of love by her oldest teenager meant more to mom than I realized at the time. Our children are the living proof of that love and respect that has been passed down through our family for a couple of generations at least. Our middle son is fixing to graduate high school next month but he was like me in that neither of us was embarrassed to love our parents and to express that love with a peck on the cheek and an “I love you”. My wife and I volunteered at their schools and I coached football so we stayed involved and were at their schools frequently. Whenever our son saw us in the crowded hallway he’d run up to us yelling “hey mom” or “hey dad” followed by a kiss on the cheek and an “I love you” in front of hundreds of teenagers. That simple gesture from him (and our daughter too) would always bring a happy tear to my wife’s eyes and I know that it made her day. It’s sometimes the smallest of things that can make the biggest of impacts.

I know that mom is proud of her family but I only wish she could be here to see the legacy of love and togetherness that she created. I couldn’t have asked for a better mom and I am lucky beyond words to have married a sweet and loving woman. They say that we marry people that possess the same traits as our parents and in my case that’s eerily true. Our children are as lucky as I am to have a mom like mine.

Our children were excited to give mom a few of her Mother’s Day presents so last night at 12:01 am they came downstairs and gave mom a few presents. But the good ones are coming today.....a Roomba vacuum. 😁

God bless all the moms, living and dead. To those of you lucky enough to still have your moms around, enjoy your time together and make the best of it because, as I’ve found out, when we lose our mom we (metaphorically) lose a part of us and that leaves a giant hole in our hearts. To those that have lost their mom I pray that the memories of times long gone can bring you some comfort.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
only good memories , she dislocated her jaw while yawning and refused to go to the hospital , very embarrassing.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If ya still gotthem, huggem more than often!

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I’m very lucky to hav a great Mom. She has always been very loyal and very dedicated to all of us in the family. I can say with confidence that she is a good daughter, good sister, good wife, and she is an exceptional Mom! I will always be grateful for her.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mine’s been gone two years now. Sure do miss her!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I think of my Mom about every day. It’s been 20 years since she passed. I placed a rose on her grave this past weekend.

No offense guys, but I had the best parents that ever lived.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I talked to my mother yesterday. She lives with my sister near Seattle. She's 102 and still has all of her mental facilities. She has some great great grandkids now.
She retired from teaching 40 years ago. She's really got her money's worth from that pension program and from social security. She has an MA and taught special education for many years.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I talked to my mother yesterday. She lives with my sister near Seattle. She's 102 and still has all of her mental facilities. She has some great great grandkids now.
She retired from teaching 40 years ago. She's really got her money's worth from that pension program and from social security. She has an MA and taught special education for many years.

I read a couple of years ago over a hundred people in Texas, that were over 100 years old were drawing teachers retirement. They are getting their money back and then some.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I was blessed with an awesome mother who passed away on Pearl Harbor day, 2003. She was in love with her grandchildren and missed seeing several... my parents, tho they had only 2 children due to my mother’s lupus, have 10 total grandchildren. I miss her pretty dearly; I was and am a mama’s boy and not ashamed to say so. All the good in me came from her encouragement & prayers.

Super grateful too for the amazing woman my children get to call mother and always enjoy giving her a day to be appreciated (we try to do that more than just on Mother’s Day & her BD).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (1lesfox, 10ring1, 160user, 06hunter59, 16penny, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,744 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,565
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.