Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Sako76
Just be careful with the Swiss Army knives, the last two I had were super sharp.

Yep. They can get tendons pretty easy.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sako76
Just be careful with the Swiss Army knives, the last two I had were super sharp.

A knife should be sharp.

That's part of learning about knives, and how to maintain one.

Get a kid a whetstone along with the knife, and teach them the proper way to sharpen a knife as well.

More people are more seriously cut by "dull" knives than anything else.

If your kid isn't mature enough to own a pocket knife, then don't get them one. Just give them an old garage sale butter knife, and tell them to go play... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I'm aware of that saying, Barry.

I cut myself more and worse with the real sharp suckers.

Dad had my uncle teach me how to sharpen a knife and I learned well at about 9 years old.

Several times over the years since then when hunting or fishing or working he would borrow my knife and end up cussing about a kid having a knife that sharp. Mine would always shave the hair off an arm, still, they werent scalpel sharp.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mornin gang, my two cents. If your teaching her to light fires why not get her a fixed blade & show her how to baton & make shavings. She's a girl, she's a lot more mature than a boy at that age. Buy an orange handled one. She'll have the knife when she's married later in life!!! Put it on a quick release teather or one of those retractable ones & have her just take it off when it's time to use it. We want pics later, no cuts. Wait, that's more than two cents worth??? Bill out. 🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JonS
Youngest turned 7 5/1 and in practicing lighting fires the last few days, she has said she wants a knife.
What's your favorite, would like a locking, single blade, pocket clip that's removable as they're not comfortable to use but fun to hang somewhere or store in a pocket.

Thinking gerber lst or mini spyderco of some sort. I will keep it when not in use, so hope not to have it lost in the next little while.

Thanks
Jon

Small knives are like small handguns. They're cool but not the best for beginners.

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Fire-F...amp;s=hunting-fishing&sr=1-7-catcorr

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
In my family nobody got cut but a lot of knives got lost...start with a smaller Swiss and make a big deal out of using the lanyard and hook it to a belt loop. Anybody who recommends a high dollar knife for a kid's first knife doesn't know much about the attention span of 7 yr olds. For my grandsons, 6 and 9, I sharpen the hell out of the rear half of the blade for cutting baling twine, and leave the front half pretty dull.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter03
My first was Swiss Army. Used the hell out of that thing.

^ yep; can’t go wrong there IMHO.

Lock blades are nice later on but getting them closed early in life when coordination is lacking presents more danger than having the blade not locked in use. YMMV.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The first knives I bought my boys were rubber......They would have stabbed each other with a real knife...LOL

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My first knife, when I turned 6, was a Davy Crockett jack knife my grandfather gave me.My mother and my grandmother were kind of nervous and there was a little worried clucking going on, but Gramps prevailed.

Mathew 22: 37-39

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GWPGUY
Mornin gang, my two cents. If your teaching her to light fires why not get her a fixed blade & show her how to baton & make shavings. She's a girl, she's a lot more mature than a boy at that age. Buy an orange handled one. She'll have the knife when she's married later in life!!! Put it on a quick release teather or one of those retractable ones & have her just take it off when it's time to use it. We want pics later, no cuts. Wait, that's more than two cents worth??? Bill out. 🐾👣🇨🇦

MORA...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My grandpa bought me my first knife when I was 8. I buck lock back. We got back to the house and he told me 2 things. "Don't tell Grandma and don't cut yourself." Took me about 30 seconds after he said that to cut my finger while closing it back up. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sad you can no longer just go down to Sears or Montgomery Wards and get one of their branded moderately priced USA made camp knifes for your son or daughter anymore. Toss in all the locally owned hardware stores, gas stations, bait and tackle stores.

To add don't make their first knife some Mall Ninja Flipper China made BS.

Hundreds of thousands of USA made knives from former USA companies like Schrade, Camillus, Western, Imperial etc on fleabay for decent prices

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Best knife for a 7 year old? IMHO it's one that you keep locked out of sight until the 7 year old is about 12.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Opinel #6 or #7 depending on how large or small her hands are.

They make those two sizes with multiple color option handles.

They are simple, sharp, and cheap.

www.opinel-usa.com

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Best knife for a 7 year old? IMHO it's one that you keep locked out of sight until the 7 year old is about 12.

What is your metric for a child’s readiness to handle a certain tool or task? Did we not all learn a lesson or two early in life by suffering a minor injury?
I ask this with some sincerity as a parent raising a small boy but with some skepticism as a person who was shooting a 410 and 22 by age 5. My son is 4 but uses a 5” bait knife to cut catfish bait, under supervision of course, and shoots a 22 or BB gun while sitting in my lap. He ran the outboard on our boat for half an hour this past Saturday while we trolled for Saugeye, once again under close supervision on my part. I fully expect that by 7 he’ll be ready to carry a small knife in his pocket as I did.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Probably not what dad gave me. Dad and I were out in the car with him making industrial sales calls and me just staying in the car glad to be out of the house. We were at the sugar beet factory when the shop foreman caught one of the colored guys making what I think is called an "Arkansas toothpick" out of a file, took it away and gave it to dad. That knife is (yup, I still have it) a double sided 11" long dagger. Dad got it a sheath easily 2" too long, so wearing it on my belt as a child the thing hung down somewhere around my kneecap. I couldn't wear it at school, but I think I wore it most other places.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd start her with a cheap Mora knife.

First, it's easier to sharpen a slightly larger blade. Second, it's safer - no folding blade to slip and cut while closing, no chance of collapsing while used - just out of the sheath or not.

While big enough not to easily be lost (especially the orange handled one!), the handle is relatively small and fits a young person's hand well.

That's my 2 cents.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Barlo or Swiss.

Of course, some PC douche will see yer kid with the knife and call SWAT.

GOA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd get her the best quality, small, lock-blade you can find for cheap money (<$20?)

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Ultra...lade+knife&qid=1589228543&sr=8-2

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 57 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,643
Posts18,455,374
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.