Print Thread
Hop To
Y
yosey Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
Can anyone give me some direction on good hearing protection? I'm interested in the electronic kind that allows for normal conversation but blocks gun fire.
Thank you.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have found the electronic muffs from both Walker and Howard Leight to perform well. I have a set Walker neck-band earbuds that are marginal; they really amplify wind noise more than others and are a bit slow on the gunfire cutout function.
If I'm shooting rifles I'll usually double up with foam plugs under the muffs.

Last edited by NVhntr; 05/11/20.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoyed wearing them when I might go waslk the asndy roads of my old lease. I t magnified my footsteps and made me practice being quiet.

My gripe with them is that they do not dampen as well as I would prefer. I like 30db or better dampening- but at least 28db - and these don't come close., Range time next to a boomer with a muzzle brake will have you wishing for more.

Last edited by kenjs1; 05/11/20.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I don't know what your price range is but the electronic ear plugs from ESP work really well. A lot of the folk shooting USPSA and IDPA are using them. They will not bother your cheek weld when using rifle or shotgun, they are waterproof and they are a lot more comfortable in hot weather than the muffs for extended wear. I wear hearing aids and I like these because they are tunable for the frequencies I can hear.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I use soundgear from starkey.....I love them. Custom molded and fit by a hearing aid professional. kenjs1 said....I used to hate wearing them while walking, because it magnified all my steps, but I do believe that it helped me be quieter and sneakier in the woods.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I also have Starkey in the ear canal plugs. Bought them on recommendation from an audiologist friend who hunts with her husband (birds, deer, waterfowl) and is clays shooter, and who also uses them. Great performamce, but a little pricey.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
There was a recent thread on this in hunting optics. I bought the 3m 500 series Muffs after reading through. I like them, they do a good job of boosting voices while blocking gunfire. I use them turned off for quiet. The reduction on gunfire/loud noise is very good. Also, the Bluetooth works with my phone for music and calls.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a set of the Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs. I've used them for pistol, rifle and shotgun and I don't find that they affect cheek weld for rifle shooting or mounting the gun when using a shotgun. The electronics are good for hearing range instructions, and you can turn the microphone off if you want to avoid distraction.

The nominal NRR is 22 dB. If you want more you could pop in a set of foam plugs as well, though that does rather defeat the purpose of the electronics.

FWIW I find them very comfortable and effective.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I finally bought a pair of Howard Leights.

Before i used foam ear plugs and an old pair of cheap Winchester branded muffs.

When shooting rifles with a brake or boss i use foam plugs and the muffs.

I was pleased with them after the first shot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (16penny, 10ring1, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,866
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.