Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
d500lnn Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
How big of a hit should one expect from selling custom rifles? Is there a difference in full customs or semi customs off 700 or another factory actions? I feel like it has to be a desirable set-up (caliber and configuration) to even sell these days....and to get a good number it has to be a full custom done “right” in the eyes of many...with top notch components...

Last edited by d500lnn; 05/11/20.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My recent experience is that you are doing well to recoup 50% of the cost of a semi-custom. Maybe get back 30-40% of a full custom. The longer you are willing to wait, the more you can recoup, to a point. However, if you look at the Hallowell site, and the high end rifles on Guns International, many of those have been for sale for more than a year. Tis not the time to be selling nice stuff if you do not have to... JMO... YMMV...

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by d500lnn
How big of a hit should one expect from selling custom rifles? Is there a difference in full customs or semi customs off 700 or another factory actions? I feel like it has to be a desirable set-up (caliber and configuration) to even sell these days....and to get a good number it has to be a full custom done “right” in the eyes of many...with top notch components...

Orion pretty much nailed it.

The market is soft on everything except black rifles and plastic pistols. Prices for fine blue-and-walnut rifles are as low as I've seen them in close to 40 years and getting lower. Rifles by big names (Biesen, Echols, Miller, etc.) hold their value a bit better than rifles by less well-known people, but only a bit.

Most people considering a custom probably want to build from scratch, so the value depends on what the rifle is. Custom work done to enhance accuracy has taken a huge hit since there are so many accurate inexpensive factory rifles these days.

What kind of rifles are you looking at selling?

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Recently sold a custom stocked rifle, got not quite 33% of total amount invested in the rifle and stock. Ouch! T.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It'll hurt!!!

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 300MAG
It'll hurt!!!

That it does. It’s a good time to be a buyer if nice rifles though.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For sure custom rifles lose money. Semi custom probably worse but there’s a lot of variance.

For that matter factory rifles lose money. Best maybe break even. If someone disagrees with that statement and says “I paid a $1.50 for this beautiful Winchester 1942 Model 70 and today it’s worth x” they haven’t realized that inflation ate all the supposed extra value of the rifle.

Which is why you should only have custom rifles that delight you. I don’t give a damn if my custom rifles lost money after I hunted with them all over and then I died.

Last edited by joelkdouglas; 05/11/20.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

We should ask Rick for a sticky ad in the classifieds just for “swapping” customs. IE only post WTT for other customs so that we fray some of the cost.

Just a thought!

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
D
d500lnn Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Well I have one I’m bored with. It’s an incredible rifle and I’ll just keep shooting. It was my first from the ground up. So I guess there are some things I’d change. All cosmetic. It’s a 6.5 CM. Stiller Tac 30, Mullerworks 1:8 finished at 22, McMillan Edge olive green with black specs, trigger tech trigger. Built completely by Accurate Ordnance who unfortunately has closed its doors as AO.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Seems like parting out sells quicker and probably a little better money.

Biggest hit is probably the barrel and anything that was "smithed" like action truing...unless done by a known reputable Smith. Stocks, actions, triggers etc usually move quicker than a custom rifle...as long as they are desirable.

Unless a custom is in front of the right buyer, you're in for a big loss and likely a long wait.

I missed a custom built on a trued 700 a couple weeks ago... literally everything I was about to build almost down to the details. It sold for just over what the stock cost new....and it was for sale since December.

Last edited by Mauser06; 05/11/20.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've heard a couple times to expect to get back what you have in parts. I've sold a couple and never came out close to even. A couple days ago on gunbroker, I watched a semi-custom built by a well known builder sell for less than a thousand bucks. I think it had less than 75 rounds down the pipe and looked to be about a $3500 build. There's been a few on here lately that have really suprised me with the time it's taken to sell them. It's a soft market but you may get a little more traction being it's a Creedmoor. However, I think you made the right decision to just enjoy it for the time being.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My old boss said “ We lost our hat, ass, and overcoat on that job”. Instead of building one, maybe keep an eye out for a used one.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One of the problems with a custom is, it was built just the way you wanted it. In the case of your gun, everything may be just the way I wanted it except XXX (fill in the blank, in this case I will pick on the barre) I wanted a 24" barrel and yours has a 22", so I would have to retube it to get just what I wanted which means that I would need to get yours cheap enough that I could afford to put another $600 ( I made that number up but figured $300 for the barrel and $300 to install) and still get some kind of a deal or it is not worth it to me.
I have custom stocks on 3 of my shotguns and I knew going into it, if I ever sold the those 3 guns I would loose my butt.

If I were going to sell a custom rifle today, I would part it out, I think you might get a little more money (still less that 50%) but a little better than you would as a whole gun.
YMMV

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 300MAG
It'll hurt!!!

I don’t think it could be summed up any better. Custom builds are not a good financial investment, that’s for sure. Most looneys realize that going in, part of the sickness.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pullit
One of the problems with a custom is, it was built just the way you wanted it. In the case of your gun, everything may be just the way I wanted it except XXX (fill in the blank, in this case I will pick on the barre) I wanted a 24" barrel and yours has a 22", so I would have to retube it to get just what I wanted which means that I would need to get yours cheap enough that I could afford to put another $600 ( I made that number up but figured $300 for the barrel and $300 to install) and still get some kind of a deal or it is not worth it to me.
I have custom stocks on 3 of my shotguns and I knew going into it, if I ever sold the those 3 guns I would loose my butt.

If I were going to sell a custom rifle today, I would part it out, I think you might get a little more money (still less that 50%) but a little better than you would as a whole gun.
YMMV

This.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well I have one I’m bored with. It’s an incredible rifle and I’ll just keep shooting. It was my first from the ground up. So I guess there are some things I’d change. All cosmetic. It’s a 6.5 CM. Stiller Tac 30, Mullerworks 1:8 finished at 22, McMillan Edge olive green with black specs, trigger tech trigger. Built completely by Accurate Ordnance who unfortunately has closed its doors as AO.

I could use a Tac 30, if it gets parted out.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I have not taken a hit on a single custom or semi -custom rifle. Of course I have not sold any yet and I don't plan on selling any. They are to be handed down to my children. I have written down the particular aspects of all my rifles/shotguns and pistols in this category and have passed this on to my children. It seems to be a dynamic document and keeps having to be amended. If your plan is similar, I suggest you start writing the particulars down for when you are not around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Think of a custom being like a bespoke custom-tailored suit. It works for YOU.

Only thing that would make me pay full rip for someone else's custom is if I really admired the owner AND the smith, and I wanted something to remember them by.

And Lynt? That's a really smart suggestion.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I just picked up a 1975 Remington Custom Shop Model 700 C Grade with nice rings and mount for $1,035. In a reverse inflation calculator with 3% inflation per year, that puts it at $274 in 1975 dollars.

I doubt the original owner paid only $274 for that rifle. I'm not sure if it's been hunted with but it has been fired. Very little wear on the jeweling on the bolt and only a few random compression marks in the finish. Granted, it's not a full custom rifle, but it is a very nice "semi" custom back when the custom shop rifles were darn nice.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by smitty_bs
I just picked up a 1975 Remington Custom Shop Model 700 C Grade with nice rings and mount for $1,035. In a reverse inflation calculator with 3% inflation per year, that puts it at $274 in 1975 dollars.

I doubt the original owner paid only $274 for that rifle. I'm not sure if it's been hunted with but it has been fired. Very little wear on the jeweling on the bolt and only a few random compression marks in the finish. Granted, it's not a full custom rifle, but it is a very nice "semi" custom back when the custom shop rifles were darn nice.

I bought a C grade for 1100 about a year ago. It didn’t look like it had been fired

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 05/13/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

274 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 24 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,321
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.