Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 112 1 2 3 4 5 111 112
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Also a series call "Dead to Me" has been pretty good.

3825 24336
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Last Kingdom series on Netflix is pretty good if you like lots of sword fighting. They're supposed to be releasing season 5 sometime in the near future.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Last Kingdom is very good, excellent production values and covers a period of history you don't see too much about.

Also, Vikings Season 6 is on Amazon Prime, another great show. It lagged a bit in season 5 but the latest season seems to be picking up okay. I still think Ivar should have been killed about 4 or 5 times by now, but he just keeps crawling along...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Since this craziness with C-19 began, I have discovered that I have Smart TVs and Amazon Prime with access to Russian War movies with English subtitles. They are worth watching for just the pleasure of viewing the country side and the likes of Svetlana Ustinova. Try some of the following: Lieutenant, Panfilov's 28 Men, Ancestral Land (the tv series), The Dawns Here Are Quiet (the tv series), Battalion and there are many more. You can also watch a number of them, not all, on YouTube. CP.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Last Kingdom is good and follows the book series fairly well. We just finished Black Sails (loved it) and now the wife and I are on Ozark.

Last edited by AKduck; 05/12/20.

Yup.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bosch. Excellent police detective series.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In no particular order

Narcos/Narcos Mexico-starting with Narcos to be watched first.
Ozark
Mindhunter
Black Mirror-Twilight Zone meets high tech
Better Call Saul
Rise of the Ottoman Empire

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like some of the English shows. They're a little different from US shows and you have to watch a few to get used to the style, especially their humor (think Monte Python). One thing I like is that many of the actors are more like real people, not the Hollywood glamour types like we have. They have a lot of murder mysteries that seem slow moving but they get pretty deep. I liked the Midsomer Murder mysteries on Amazon.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m watching The Pacific on Amazon now. Based on the Marine 1st. Division. Worth the time. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rewatched Breaking Bad over the winter. Followed up with Better Call Saul, just finished Ozark and now watching After Life. First 3 were excellent. After Life has taken a few episodes to get in the groove, not bad - different for sure.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The Last Kingdom is very good, excellent production values and covers a period of history you don't see too much about.

Also, Vikings Season 6 is on Amazon Prime, another great show. It lagged a bit in season 5 but the latest season seems to be picking up okay. I still think Ivar should have been killed about 4 or 5 times by now, but he just keeps crawling along...
I'll have to take a look at The Vikings. I'm not familiar with it.

The Last Kingdom is based on a historical fiction novel but does have some truth in it. I looked up some of the characters. Alfred the Great was very real and the show follows his life fairly closely. He was the youngest of 3 sons of King Aethelwulf. There was an agreement that if the king died, the sons would inherit the throne in order of their age. It would be passed brother to brother instead of father to son. One brother did have a son Athewold who we see in the series. The 2 oldest brothers died young so the throne came to Alfred when he was fairly young. He was the legitimate king because of the agreement. He didn't usurp the throne from Athewold. Uthred is very loosely based on a nobleman from Northumbria who lived about 100 years after Alfred died. He wasn't a warrior and there's no record of him ever fighting the Danes or living with them.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CP
Since this craziness with C-19 began, I have discovered that I have Smart TVs and Amazon Prime with access to Russian War movies with English subtitles. They are worth watching for just the pleasure of viewing the country side and the likes of Svetlana Ustinova. Try some of the following: Lieutenant, Panfilov's 28 Men, Ancestral Land (the tv series), The Dawns Here Are Quiet (the tv series), Battalion and many more. You can also watch a number of them, not all, on YouTube. CP.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I like some of the English shows. They're a little different from US shows and you have to watch a few to get used to the style, especially their humor (think Monte Python). One thing I like is that many of the actors are more like real people, not the Hollywood glamour types like we have. They have a lot of murder mysteries that seem slow moving but they get pretty deep. I liked the Midsomer Murder mysteries on Amazon.

A cool thing about Amazon and Netflix is the exposure to foreign films and TV shows. The Russian war movies are interesting to see - patriotic themes in a war where your comrades are dying by the millions and your own government would kill or imprison you for saying the wrong thing. The Korean, Japanese and Chinese films and TV range from the same pablum you'd see on domestic networks to some very good work. Chinese stuff tends toward fantasy a lot, the Japanese TV on Netflix is overall pretty good.

In that vein, Million Yen Women on Netflix is good. You think it's going to be some lightweight jiggle show like the old Three's Company - five girls in an apartment with one guy - but it turns dark pretty quickly.

if you want a break from shoot'em ups and sword fighting, Samurai Gourmet is pretty good, about a timid 60ish retired guy who suddenly has time to enjoy life with his spiritual alter ego, a Samurai warrior. Funny and warm at the same time.

Midnight Diner is slightly different but also a good show about people. It's not violent or has much if any sex but most of the episodes are about the less publicized parts of Japanese culture and people - gambling addiction, unfaithfulness, dealing with human foibles in a land of rigid social norms - but in the end it's very uplifting. You'll either like it or turn to some shoot'em up real quick.

Babylon Berlin on Netflix is a terrific show IMO. It's in German with English subtitles (you might be able to see it dubbed in English, I never checked). It's set in Berlin in the late 1920's at a time of social change, the Nazi's are still just another street gang fighting the Communists at this point in time, and is about a detective on the Berlin police force with shell shock and nightmares from WWI and a young woman, a stenographer and part time prostitute, who aspires to join the police force. Really engrossing characters and top notch production values with great sets, filming and acting. The lead character, Detective Gereon Rath, is a morphine addict when you could get morphine at the corner drug store. The actress who plays Charlotte is sexy in a Dana Delaney sort of way, pretty although not drop dead gorgeous - she's a working class woman struggling to succeed, not a glamorous soap opera vamp. You really root for her.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tag

Haven’t seen Godless mentioned so I’ll throw that out there I reckon

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Unplanned.

Watch it with a democrat.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Will check some of those out. Thanks

BBC Sherlock , Luther, Broad Church, Line of Duty, Endeavor are fairly entertaining

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by CP
Since this craziness with C-19 began, I have discovered that I have Smart TVs and Amazon Prime with access to Russian War movies with English subtitles. They are worth watching for just the pleasure of viewing the country side and the likes of Svetlana Ustinova. Try some of the following: Lieutenant, Panfilov's 28 Men, Ancestral Land (the tv series), The Dawns Here Are Quiet (the tv series), Battalion and many more. You can also watch a number of them, not all, on YouTube. CP.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

A cool thing about Amazon and Netflix is the exposure to foreign films and TV shows. The Russian war movies are interesting to see - patriotic themes in a war where your comrades are dying by the millions and your own government would kill or imprison you for saying the wrong thing. The Korean, Japanese and Chinese films and TV range from the same pablum you'd see on domestic networks to some very good work. Chinese stuff tends toward fantasy a lot, the Japanese TV on Netflix is overall pretty good.

In that vein, Million Yen Women on Netflix is good. You think it's going to be some lightweight jiggle show like the old Three's Company - five girls in an apartment with one guy - but it turns dark pretty quickly.

if you want a break from shoot'em ups and sword fighting, Samurai Gourmet is pretty good, about a timid 60ish retired guy who suddenly has time to enjoy life with his spiritual alter ego, a Samurai warrior. Funny and warm at the same time.

Midnight Diner is slightly different but also a good show about people. It's not violent or has much if any sex but most of the episodes are about the less publicized parts of Japanese culture and people - gambling addiction, unfaithfulness, dealing with human foibles in a land of rigid social norms - but in the end it's very uplifting. You'll either like it or turn to some shoot'em up real quick.

Babylon Berlin on Netflix is a terrific show IMO. It's in German with English subtitles (you might be able to see it dubbed in English, I never checked). It's set in Berlin in the late 1920's at a time of social change, the Nazi's are still just another street gang fighting the Communists at this point in time, and is about a detective on the Berlin police force with shell shock and nightmares from WWI and a young woman, a stenographer and part time prostitute, who aspires to join the police force. Really engrossing characters and top notch production values with great sets, filming and acting. The lead character, Detective Gereon Rath, is a morphine addict when you could get morphine at the corner drug store. The actress who plays Charlotte is sexy in a Dana Delaney sort of way, pretty although not drop dead gorgeous - she's a working class woman struggling to succeed, not a glamorous soap opera vamp. You really root for her.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bosch, The Expanse, The Boys, Grand Prix Driver, Le Mans, The Tick, Racing Science, The Marvelous Mrs. Masel, Good Omens, Carnival Row, Jack Ryan, Justified on Amazon.
Umbrella Academy, The Kominsky Method, The Crown on Netflix.

The Boys, Good Omens, Carnival Row and Umbrella Academy will go best if you enjoy superhero / fantasy entertainment. The others are more down to earth.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Netflix, Angel has Fallen. Worth watching just for Nick Nolte!

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Unplanned.

That Michelle Obama documentary “Becoming” you said was good was absolutely horrible. We made it to about the 10 minute mark.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Bro, you know I watch the same shït you watch...I haven’t tried Goliath. If you like it, it’s gotta be good.

Thanks dude!

😎

I too enjoyed Goliath and Peaky fugging Blinders! 😃😃

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Unplanned.

Or a Neo Con never Trumpist

Page 3 of 112 1 2 3 4 5 111 112

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 69 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.