Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
last fall I saw an '86 Honda TRX 250 advertised on craigslist. I'm a sucker for any Honda made from say '84 - '87. Their sweet spot was '86. Everything they built was just indestructible. The TRX 350 is my favorite but you can buy the TRX 250 all day long at a decent price and its a tank. This was actually my 3rd one.

Guy has it advertised for $500. Doesn't run but he says mechanics are all good, just needs some carb work.

So I look it over - plastics are shot, wiring it questionable, tires are bald and dry rot. Offer him $400, he jumps on it, seems like a nice guy, I bring it home
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

sits under my deck all winter. I drag it out a couple of weeks after the stay at home horseshit started. Throw a 250X carb on it, get some monster maxis tires for the rear, repair the plastics, strip the frame and motor and paint them, and get the wiring sorted. Throw on a new battery and bam - things runs like new.

Went to check the oil, its a little low - shows up on the dipstick but it needs it, so I put enough in to get it at the half way point. Slap a for sale sign on it and within about 2 hours I have at least a dozen people interested in it.

Setup a time with a guy to come see it later that day.

Before he comes out to see it, I go to move it from the workshop to the front yard - oil all over the floor of the workshop.

The crankcase has a crack in it apparently just so that it keeps it low but I guess not low enough to burn it up.

Oh well. I had delusions of selling it for $1200. Now I'll have to get chummy with someone good with a tig welder.

At least it looks good....just keep an oil pan underneath it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KFWA; 05/11/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just tell the buyer it was the only model built in England.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Its the Royal Enfield edition!

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

never used Craigslist........

heard horror stories

heard of good deals.......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by KFWA
Its the Royal Enfield edition!

Tell him it has a Triumph motorcycle engine.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
IC B2

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have been on both ends

Oddly enough, the best deals aren't on Craigslist anymore, they are on Facebook Marketplace

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
How long is the crack, and is it hard to reach? I might have a "no weld" fix.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
How long is the crack, and is it hard to reach? I might have a "no weld" fix.
Jerry

will JB work ????????????

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Nope!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

didn't know

use it on 4" irrigation pipe.......

that sum dumm azz hit with a 20 Practical

>>>>>>>>>> blush<<<<<<<<<

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get it fixed, it will sell.

We have an 84 just like that out in the barn with a 15 gallon sprayer on the back, my wife used it the week before last to spray weeds on the horse pasture. We paid $380 for it with the sprayer included 7 years ago.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Irrigation pipe doesn't have hot oil flowing through it. JB weld holds for a little while, and then it comes loose. I've used a procedure called 'sewing" with a line of overlapping drilled and tapped holes and plugs to repair freeze-cracked engine blocks for over 50 years. Find both ends of the crack, and drill 1/8" holes to prevent it from spreading further. Drill and tap the center of the crack for a 1/8" NPT plug, install a plug with red Loctite, and grind it flush. Drill and tap a series of overlapping holes and plug them in both directions until you run out of crack. No welding, and it's a permanent repair. It works on cast iron and aluminum- - - - -just use the appropriate material plugs.
Jerry

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
That a slick looking old wheeler. Me and a buddy tried our best to ride one just like it into the ground. In the end it was pretty well shot and probably had 100k on it but it still started on the first kick, since the electric start had been out since we were still in diapers, and ran like a top. Great old machines. If I was closer I’d weld up the case for you or buy it and weld it up for me.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Crack could come in handy, for checkin the level .

If there ain't no oil under it, there ain't no oil *in* it.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I hate tearing into cases. I'll do it, but I hate it

Last edited by KFWA; 05/11/20.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What did you use on the exhaust heat shield?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've tigged those up and its a pain. I'd tip it on its side and use devcon 10110 or jb myself if I couldn't find a case.

I did a case on an xr 200 when I was a kid and it held for 20 years.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like them, got my brothers87 250 when he passed in 1995, still use it, but not as much as it needs to be used, I hope to be able to get it out when my health is better, cant kill them, drove it through water where beaver had dammed up the creek right to the bottom of the seat, twice, second time on the way back I made it up to dry land but airbox filled right up and killed it, but drained it out got it running and got back to camp before dark, friend with me wished he had a pic of me running through the water, he thought it was stalled, until he saw the bubbles coming up, I knew too keep it rreved, and managed to get out before I floated away.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a 4-wheeler stolen in 2000. Had it barely 4 months from brand new. 2 years ago a Sheriff pulls in my driveway and asks if I ever owned a 2000 Honda Four-trax. I said yea it was stolen in 2000. He tells me they found it in Illinois(400 miles from where it was stolen). Guy bought it off Craigslist and I guess you have to give a VIN number in Illinois for a trail permit and it came up stolen. Asked me if I wanted it back and I told him insurance paid out on it back then so talk to them. had a friend with the exact quad u have. A chain broke and slapped the crankcase cracking it. Leaked oil like a beast. His Dad drained the oil. left it a few weeks and then JB welded the crack. never leaked again and that was about 20 years ago.

Last edited by k20350; 05/11/20.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.