Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
remfak Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Been a long time. Glad to post again...

Considering applying for Idaho moose. Units 10a-4, 10-1, and 62a appear to have a good combination of better draw odds, successive years of moose over 40", and success rates. For several reasons, I've got my eye on 62a up near Yellowstone. HOWEVER, I noticed in 2019 that the success rate plummeted to 20% (1/5) compared to 80%+ in recent years. I'm assuming it is due to wolves. Pretty odd to drop so drastically like that.

Any thoughts/advice on any of those three units?

If I draw, and decide to go with an outfitter, any recommendations for outfitters in those units?

Thanks!!

GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Everything concerning Moose up here in ID has changed over the last 10 years...

We moved up to the panhandle 18 years ago, up until about 2014 we had Moose come through the property.

Springtime was a few Mama Moose and their babies usually a set of twins or two
Wintertime we would see the Bulls wander through, we would often have to wait for them to get off our road to pass.

Now it is much more rare to see them, I haven't had to stop on the road in years.

The reason most of us think is the wolves got really thick, across the state

Now in the last couple of years we haven't seen or heard wolves, in fact, I actually saw a Coyote the other day, which we haven't seen or heard since 2007.

I just saw a Moose a week ago so maybe the wolves have been brought into line, hunting and trapping has been stepped up in the last 5 years

Unfortunately, I have no advice on where to hunt for a moose right now things have just changed too much frown

Good Luck

Last edited by gssixgun; 04/27/20.

Slaying Orcs
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Idaho moose numbers are officially down---due to wolves but also a lack of timber cuts and fire regimes too. I think ticks have become a major issue and brain worms have also been creeping into the state, causing a perfect storm. The tag numbers have been slowly declining for quite a while. Why unit 62A had such a drastic drop in success is beyond me. I can't give any realistic rational concerning that.

That said, I see plenty of moose pretty much everywhere in the state. I personally have not seen any indication that their numbers are going down, other than in their traditional strongholds like the Selway. They've been increasingly showing up in oddball places that they weren't 20 years ago....in marginal habitat like creeks in the desert and farmlands. Units bordering Nevada have moose showing up commonly, where they never were before. Things are changing for sure....I'd apply for wherever the odds are decent, then if you draw, go full steam ahead. If you have any hunting sense at all, you'll find moose.

If it makes a difference to you, I think the northern units have some Canadian genetics...and those moose are generally bigger both in antler and body size. The southern units are more open and easier to hunt though, IMO.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Idaho moose numbers are officially down---due to wolves but also a lack of timber cuts and fire regimes too. I think ticks have become a major issue and brain worms have also been creeping into the state, causing a perfect storm. The tag numbers have been slowly declining for quite a while. Why unit 62A had such a drastic drop in success is beyond me. I can't give any realistic rational concerning that.

That said, I see plenty of moose pretty much everywhere in the state. I personally have not seen any indication that their numbers are going down, other than in their traditional strongholds like the Selway. They've been increasingly showing up in oddball places that they weren't 20 years ago....in marginal habitat like creeks in the desert and farmlands. Units bordering Nevada have moose showing up commonly, where they never were before. Things are changing for sure....I'd apply for wherever the odds are decent, then if you draw, go full steam ahead. If you have any hunting sense at all, you'll find moose.

If it makes a difference to you, I think the northern units have some Canadian genetics...and those moose are generally bigger both in antler and body size. The southern units are more open and easier to hunt though, IMO.

Good advice across the board.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Also, there are a few good bulls in Eastern Idaho still....

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by iddave

That's a good shiras, no doubt. How wide? 42ish?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
44 as I recall

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice. I've killed a 54 and a 33. Shiras moose are a unique critter to hunt. Wish there was more opportunity.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About 20 years ago, my partner and I drew in 62A. We both got bulls, mine 42", his 40". We didn't have any problem finding them. 10 years later, he drew a cow tag there. He got one but he hunted long and hard to find any moose at all. In the meantime, the wolves had moved in. I can't say that they were the problems but something sure caused the numbers to drop.

Moose numbers seem to be growing in so. central ID. There's getting to be a good population in 54 and I've seen a number of them in 48 and 49. Tags are very hard to get, though. Last year in 54, there were 3 tags and nearly 300 applicants. 62A was still a tough draw but much better than that.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
54 is the best most hunt in Idaho - there are 50” moose down there. However I’m not willing to chase the draw odds down there...For the 10th year in a row, I am in for Eastern Idaho moose - hopefully this is the year.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by iddave

Thats a bruiser!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
in western Montana near Idaho where i have hunted alot of years i have noticed there are more wolves howling lately and alot less moose too .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
remfak Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks gents! After reading comments here, talking to a handful of folks, and scouring reports, I opted to put in for 10a-4. Lets see what the odds gods do come draw time.

Thanks again!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see that 10A-4 is a low odds draw. 11% success last year plus only 1 tag can go to a non-resident.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Glen, I live i your area. I see moose all the time. Literally I can name creeks, go to them and find moose. Are you scouting for any or just saying you don’t see as many?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, Akpilot, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 8 invisible), 1,193 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,119
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.