Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
RiverRider, in the sense that combat leaves a lasting mark I don't think Vietnam was unique. Any of the participants here on the 'Fire will likely agree. Have said more than once however, I would not trade the experience for all the tea in China, nor do it again for twice that. It was a formative experience in a multitude of ways and I am incredibly lucky to have survived it. That is the older, wiser man speaking of course; back then I was bullet proof. Mostly.

For what it may be worth, the writing about tour #1 was fairly easy. The catharsis came a couple years later when I was able to regurgitate the second tour. The sense of humor found here enabled me to step past the darkness that enveloped us during the drawdown and Easter Offensive in '72 and get that part off my chest.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dan don't know how I missed this back in 2012. I was a phrog driver in the Marines back in the early 80s and had a couple of old salt HACs in HMM-264 who were former Vietnam pilots. Some of those maneuvers you described, when coming into a hot LZ to avoid small arms fire, they demonstrated to me in a 46. The first time we went spiraling straight down in that flat spin, I was just holding on as the HAC cooly described the maneuver and the control inputs he was using to effect the rapid descent and ball control. Just when I thought we were "going to hit dirt" . . . grin he cleaned everything up and smoothly flared into a perfect landing. Later in my tour, when I was a HAC, I used to practice that approach, letting my co-pilot know that I learned it from a Vietnam pilot, like I was some big shot. Ha! The thing I am really sorry about is that I did it with a full load of grunts from Camp Lejeune, that I bet peed their pants thinking they were going to die. I had a problem convincing myself that I was just a "bus driver" in that 46 and should not be trying to fly like a frustrated jet jockey. Great story, and I salute you and the men with whom you served. God Bless America!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
just marking the page.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tag

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
good read DD

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No words! Just huge respect for you and all who served there.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wageslave
Psst.
DD has put up some more of the rest of the story.......
You can find it in the misc. section in a thread about something called a 223ai.
I will warn you upfront, when I visited this thread a few days ago by accident, I was appalled and disgusted.
There were pics and verbiage there that were not safe for some women, all children and most workplaces......
But amongst this group of filthy losers, posting, boasting and lying of their sexual exploits and wet dreams, is the work of the humble CW2. DD, you are a man I hope to meet soon....even if it's just to shake you hand.

P.S. You could skip some of the dirt by searching the thread and only searching Digital Dan's post over the last couple weeks.
That's what I do......I just felt the stories needed to be seen by more of you all.
Well, I'm off to church, take care all.

My searchfoo is weak, does the mentioned thread still exist?

Last edited by worriedman; 05/13/20.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Great thread. I recall reading it when it was first posted and I'm in the process of reading it again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m only up to Chapter 6, great thread, tks 😎

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great thread. I would buy the book if it comes to be.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A recent thread reminded me to look this up again an reread.

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Is there a link to the second tour thread? Much appreciated.

Thank you DD for sharing your experiences over there. It's living history and can only be written by those who actually lived it. That perspective sadly is slipping away. This is an absolute treasure and should be recorded in book form so future generations may learn from it.

"Thank you" seems so insignificant, yet those are the only words that show our profound gratitude for service and sacrifice of all who have served.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
CF, send an email via PM and I’ll forward a PDF version.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I remember DD from Accurate reloading days, maybe 15 years ago?

Wonderful writing style and a great sense of humor. After the fun subsided over there I looked for him across the net; I didn't want to miss more of his highly entertaining prose !

An interesting life to say the least.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Wow did you know the Skynyrd boys? They were Shantytown, west side.

😃

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve read it 3 times now! Great stuff DF !!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I stumbled across this yesterday.

I was a Huey crewchief in the 4th ID from 81-84 and had several pilots in my outfit that had flown in Nam.

Great read DD !
Thanks

Lemme know when the second tour is available to read please !

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Is there a link to any subject matter of Dan's 2nd tour?

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thoroughly enjoyed the read Dan. I believe this work would be highly marketable. Thank you for your service and memories.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Fun reading. I was in class 68-23

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 78 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.