Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Originally Posted by slumlord
We buy flour, we make bread in a bread machine. Even hauled it to the beach last month.

We don’t ever keep more than one of those 4lbs bags. Cause the chit start getting beetles and moths eventually after a few months. We keep it in the freezer.

Im all the time flopping pork loin in it and skillet frying them.

Mother in law makes homemade biscuits every couple of days.

Guess we’re KOOKS.

Do you use regular flour to make bread in that bread machine? Years ago the family got a bread maker for a gift but it called for special flour so it rarely got used. Was kind of a waste.

The "special" flour is not that hard to find. It's usually labeled "bread flour". One can use the All Purpose type (we have) , but it works better if you add some gluten too it.

Unfortunately, even the bread flour has been hard to find at times.

"fugginChinese, fugginupeverything"

I used to use bread flour. Now just use AP flour like for all other baking. It works fine. IIRC, bread flour is ground a little finer. Easy to sub.

A few weeks ago, AP flour, whole wheat flour, corn meal, even cake flour! were out of stock. Closer to normal now.

Damn rookie bakers!

Geno - what came out of the Bundt pan?

Also, remember “the people’s car”? Volks vagen!

Don't remember. Something tasty the wife made.

Since she's retired (over a year now) she's gotten the baking habit more than she used to. Has time to watch Cupcake Wars, the Great British Bakeoff, and all sorts of other things on TV to get ideas.

Bread flour is higher in protein (gluten) than AP flour, which is higher than cake flour. AP is a compromise. Unless they've changed things since I worked in that industry (late 80's). Don't try making batches of hamburger buns (500 dozen at a time) with cake flour.............it don't fuggin work well. One place I worked at bought flour by they train car load. Piped from there into our silos. Then to the mixers. Someone along the line screwed up somehow, we got a traincar load of cake flour. I was new, like brand new, and new something was wrong. Foreman said try to run the dough through the machine. What a friggen mess. Eventually, after a whole shift of having the mixers try to add dough conditioners, other flour, etc they eventually decided they had to toss the whole load, empty the silos, and use the next car in line after testing it to make sure it was bread flour.

It pains me to type this, but Travis was right. You are verbose.

‘Course he don’t use no fancy words!

Just ask your boss what is in that picture!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Originally Posted by slumlord
We buy flour, we make bread in a bread machine. Even hauled it to the beach last month.

We don’t ever keep more than one of those 4lbs bags. Cause the chit start getting beetles and moths eventually after a few months. We keep it in the freezer.

Im all the time flopping pork loin in it and skillet frying them.

Mother in law makes homemade biscuits every couple of days.

Guess we’re KOOKS.

Do you use regular flour to make bread in that bread machine? Years ago the family got a bread maker for a gift but it called for special flour so it rarely got used. Was kind of a waste.

The "special" flour is not that hard to find. It's usually labeled "bread flour". One can use the All Purpose type (we have) , but it works better if you add some gluten too it.

Unfortunately, even the bread flour has been hard to find at times.

"fugginChinese, fugginupeverything"

I used to use bread flour. Now just use AP flour like for all other baking. It works fine. IIRC, bread flour is ground a little finer. Easy to sub.

A few weeks ago, AP flour, whole wheat flour, corn meal, even cake flour! were out of stock. Closer to normal now.

Damn rookie bakers!

Geno - what came out of the Bundt pan?

Also, remember “the people’s car”? Volks vagen!

Don't remember. Something tasty the wife made.

Since she's retired (over a year now) she's gotten the baking habit more than she used to. Has time to watch Cupcake Wars, the Great British Bakeoff, and all sorts of other things on TV to get ideas.

Bread flour is higher in protein (gluten) than AP flour, which is higher than cake flour. AP is a compromise. Unless they've changed things since I worked in that industry (late 80's). Don't try making batches of hamburger buns (500 dozen at a time) with cake flour.............it don't fuggin work well. One place I worked at bought flour by they train car load. Piped from there into our silos. Then to the mixers. Someone along the line screwed up somehow, we got a traincar load of cake flour. I was new, like brand new, and new something was wrong. Foreman said try to run the dough through the machine. What a friggen mess. Eventually, after a whole shift of having the mixers try to add dough conditioners, other flour, etc they eventually decided they had to toss the whole load, empty the silos, and use the next car in line after testing it to make sure it was bread flour.

It pains me to type this, but Travis was right. You are verbose.

‘Course he don’t use no fancy words!

Just ask your boss what is in that picture!

She might know. I think it came from back in Dec? Might even be one from last year.

Sorry bout the story. I just got to thinking about the different flours and remembered what a pain in the azz it was for a newbie baker trying to deal with that screw up. Be like a new mechanic at the shop filling fuel tanks with gasoline because some Homer truck driver filled the tanks wrong. "Hey boss, what's wrong? I can't get any of these trucks to run right."

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I eat keto.......mostly.

Fahq flour, sugar and the American diabetes industrial-complex.

Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
79S is a dick.

Thanks! And no I'm not flying to chit hole West Virginia so you can whip my ass..

Not many level places to land there anyway.

Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by hatari
I know 284LUVR has yeast, but it's not for baking. wink

Hahahaha. Tf....uh, how do you know he has yeast? wink

How else is he going to cook off a batch of likker?

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The sheep.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Gonna make fry bread.

Ever wonder why there’s so much obesity in the world’s indigenous population?

Call it frybread, Damper, etc... it’s all the same schit. Fried flour.

Damper aint fried.

You’re right but it’s basically the same schit. Cheap, fast diabetes on demand. smile

Cheap yes, fast no, diabetes on demand ? Really ? How ?

If you're going to comment, not once, but twice, but can't add anything to the thread, STFU !

Sorry didn’t mean to get sand in your Vag. .. pussy,

Gonna make fry bread.

Damper aint fried.

You’re right but it’s basically the same schit. Cheap, fast diabetes on demand. smile

If you're going to comment, not once, but twice, but can't add anything to the thread, STFU !

By the way, you obviously don’t know schit about nutrition so GFY. Actually it’s good for you. Eat lots of it...

You've got an interesting personality, for a phoucwit !

Again, antagonistic responses, with out addressing or answering the questions posed ?

Nutrition is exactly what I'm about, 54 years old, 186lbs & healthy.

Who'd have thought that, what with my bad nutrition habits ?

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Dr Jeff, maybe the workers in the flour making plants arent considered essential workers and they make more money staying at home?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Huntz
Plenty of flour and sugar around here.For some reason yeast is like gold and about as hard to find.

Check Wood-Mart for yeast if you need it.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That wasn't you Hanco?

I assumed it was you posted that....

No sir, it wasn’t me!! That is the all time greatest fat girl pic.

I need some relief

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 05/13/20.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dr Jeff, maybe the workers in the flour making plants arent considered essential workers and they make more money staying at home?

Doc, if that's so, Dems are out to give them plenty of company. Dems in the House want to extented the Fed $600/wk through to January. Imagine everyone on the dole for 9 months. You'd never get 80%+ off the dole.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Dad said that when he was growing up they rarely had all the flour they needed. I asked him where they got it.

He said they raised wheat, when it dried they laid bed sheets on the ground, cut the wheat & laid it on the sheets so as to not loose so many kernels. Then bundled the sheets & loaded them on to a horse drawn wagon.

Then they would haul the wheat to the largest farm in the area as that would be where the guy that owned a threshing machine would park it. The threshing charge would be a portion of the wheat.

Good gosh dad! where did ya get your flour? I'm gettin to that, he said. Then we took our wheat to the miller to be ground into flour. The milling charge would be a portion of our flour. A really good year would be when we had anything left over to bake with for a year.. A great year would be when we had enough flour left to trade for some sugar.

Like so many, after the war he moved to town & had no notions of going back to the farm. He always said he could go back if he had to & could make it. But would just as soon not have to.

I thought, no chit.

New, lard cans with good lids are a great way to store grains & such. The lids can be sealed if need be with wide tape. Or, check out Gamma lids for 5 gallon plastic buckets.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
We do a lot of baking, bread, cinnamon rolls, cakes, peach cobblers, our own pankcakes, etc. So we have 3 20 lb sacks of flour on hand plus we have a few buckets of wheat that we can grind. I make sourdough quite often, haven some going right now. One of my hobbies is taking fresh bread or cinnamon rolls to the hospital, sheriff's office, bank, newspaper office, courthouse, grocery store clerks, neighbors, etc. Fun thing to do since they are working folks & I'm retired.

Dick

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by hatari

Doc, if that's so, Dems are out to give them plenty of company. Dems in the House want to extented the Fed $600/wk through to January. Imagine everyone on the dole for 9 months. You'd never get 80%+ off the dole.

Sounds like a plan to get some govt inspired starvation going. whistle

Maybe that dumbassed Texas drug store cowboy had a clue after all. shocked

Of course, govt would step in to help the chosen ones out. smile

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/13/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This is how they install “ minimum income” that has become a democrat talking point.

There will only be one way to pay for it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Gonna make fry bread.

Damper aint fried.

Gonna make fry bread.

Damper aint fried.

By the way, you obviously don’t know schit about nutrition so GFY. Actually it’s good for you. Eat lots of it...

You've got an interesting personality, for a phoucwit !

Again, antagonistic responses, with out addressing or answering the questions posed ?

Nutrition is exactly what I'm about, 54 years old, 186lbs & healthy.

Who'd have thought that, what with my bad nutrition habits ?

Is that supposed to impress me? I’m three years older and 26 pounds lighter. Try harder Homer... grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry Marge, but your reading comprehension, you know, the ability to read & understand the written word, is below grade school level.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sorry Marge, but your reading comprehension, you know, the ability to read & understand the written word, is below grade school level.

Wow! You really told me. If y’all will excuse me, I’m gonna have to report to the burn unit now... Oh and GFY...

grin

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 38 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.