B
boatboy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B

We have all seen rusty dies I am sure

But I pulled a set of Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Dies Series II

They are stored where all the rest are and when I opened the box the darn things we just covered in surface rust
Of course I tried to clean them up and it just aint working

I called Hornady and the guy I talked to just kind of said well just touch them and they will rust should coat them with dry lube.Should that be done? I didnt expect him to cry but it was oh well

2 questions
first anyone else experience this specifically with Hornady dies? I am a novice loader and when I started using a lot of Hornady ammo of course I bought their stuff but now given the choice I seem to lean to RCBS

Second can I put these in a tumbler and see if that will clean them up? Anything negative that will happen if I do that?

Thanks Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 03/30/20.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
BP-B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Wrong forum

Jim Gibson
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hi Hank,

I would not give up on those dies. Soak them overnight in KROIL. See what that does. Stay away from WD-40.
Salts from one's hands will cause surface rust. I always wipe my dies down with a light coat of oil after each reloading session.

Not only will Kroil remove surface rust, it will also remove carbon from your sizing die, and lift lead deposits from your seater and crimp die (if you reload lead).

Let us know how you fair. I like the Hornady Bullet Seating die. I might want to give it a try.

GB

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I like the Hornady New Dimension seating die with the sliding sleeve, sizing die with the collet grip decapping stem is junk. I use Redding sizing dies and Hornady, this combination produces ammo with concentricity within .003".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hank, if your just getting started I would buy nothing but redding, or Forster dies. The old bonanza dies are Forster. Watch ebay as there is some steals on dies. I’m not saying you can’t make quality ammo on other brands. But I’ve had better luck with the higher quality stuff. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by boatboy

Second can I put these in a tumbler and see if that will clean them up? Anything negative that will happen if I do that?

I've done this with several rusty dies—even some very rusty ones purchased on ebay. Granted, this is with stainless steel pins in a wet tumbler. Worked very well, and no harm done. Nothing in a tumbler is going to be harder than the tool steel they make dies from. I'd just hesitate to put more than one die in at a time, or to have decapping rods floating around in there with the dies. I've always tumbled every part separately.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Had several RCBS dies stored in a flooded basement. I soaked them with naval jelly and scrubbed with steel wool, used a brush on a cleaning rod with a drill to polish the insides. Worked fine afterward. This would be a good time to hone the dies to your case dimensions as that will remove rust and result in an almost custom equivalent. I liked the BPCR blued dies so cold blued some of mine, seems to have helped. I always store the dies with a treatment of Corrosion X, Eesox or even Hornaday one shot case lube. I wipe the dies down with solvent or Kroil before using them. Wipe of and lube your dies and you shouldn't have any trouble.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm a big fan of Hornady dies. Their sizing die is about equal to everyone else. The zip spindle leaves a little to be desired but their tapered expander ball is top notch, I make 25-204 brass from 204 Ruger and with others I have to do it in two steps with the Hornady it is one pass over their expander ball. The seating die is top notch also, the sliding sleeve makes loading small bullets easy especially short bullets like 33gr in the 218 Bee that can get cocked in the seater. I've had Hornady make custom dies for me and at the time they were considerably less than other top name makers. RCBS is like Leuopld scope, average quality but a fantastic warranty. If I use a set of RCBS dies I usually toss the seater and use a Hornady instead but I do that with most of my die sets. I have lots of different dies from Herters, Redding, Forester, Bonanza, Pacific, Lee, C&H(Old and new), RCBS, Hornady, Lyman and a couple with no names on them, they all make accurate ammo..

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lanolin is used as a corrosion inhibitor in marine environments and is safe to use a case lube.

If the corrosion is only where you are touching the dies, then the working surfaces should be OK.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Hi Hank,

I would not give up on those dies. Soak them overnight in KROIL. See what that does. Stay away from WD-40.
Salts from one's hands will cause surface rust. I always wipe my dies down with a light coat of oil after each reloading session.

Not only will Kroil remove surface rust, it will also remove carbon from your sizing die, and lift lead deposits from your seater and crimp die (if you reload lead).

Let us know how you fair. I like the Hornady Bullet Seating die. I might want to give it a try.

GB

I would try the Kroil too, Hank. If you don't have any, I can send you some.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.