Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
To Mule Deer and all you guys

I am thinking of buying a 7 x 57. But I have read about accuracy problems and non standard chamber problems. John do you have any suggestions about the chambering of too much bullet run out etc., etc.? If you were going to build a 7 x 57 for yourself how would you have the gunsmith chamber the barrell. I like the idea of a 26 inch barrel as the British mostly had on their .275 Rigby. Any and all comments from all in this forum are welcome. I also wish to use as many different bullet weights with accuracy if possible.

roanmtn

Glenn Campbell
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dunno where you got the info that "the British" mostly used 26-inch barrels. The two original Rigby rifles in .275 had 23.5 inch barrels.

The last 7x57 I had built was with a Pacific Tool & Gauge reamer that had a "target" throat, shorter than most. I would tend to go with something like that.

To tell the truth, I'm using the 7mm-08 more and more these days. It gets the same ballistics with far less hassle, both in finding accurate loads and buying brass. I realize it doesn't have the "panache" of the 7x57, but am also tending to become more practical as I get older, having wrestled with lots of panache over the years. (That said, just spent yesterday morning at the range with an Marlin Model 1893 in .32-40....)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once a Rifle Loony, always a Rifle Loony smile

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

"but am also tending to become more practical as I get older, having wrestled with lots of panache."

Whoa, there John. We can't be facing up to that. What is this world coming to????

But, I am a 7x57 owner just because one became available.
I bought and dialed in a load in a 7-08 for my nephew.
That 7-08 chambering is the second best thing to happen with the 308 case.
A lot of bang for the buck.
Just my opinion though.

My R#1 in 7x57 really likes the old Nosler 150 gr Solid base bullets.

You gotta shoot em to know, so get to loading and shooting.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm building a Rigby copied 275 as we speak. Throated for 175s with 25 inch barrel. I anticipate zero issues. Left hand Zastava action heavily worked over for.function, 1909 bottom metal,Gentry 3 pos safety, new handle. Front and rear sights milled to original Rigby specs.

The way life should be.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
John will tell you the .275 Rigby was actually intended for lighter bullets, say 140 to 150 as it was supposed to be used for Red deer and the like. The 7x57 was the heavy bullet gun ( and I prefer the 175s myself)

However, all that said, I bought a Ruger African in .275 Rigby. John told me to shoot the lighter bullets in it. I didnt listen, and it hated the 175s. Stepped down to 150 gr. NBTs and magic happened!

If I get to know him for another 25 years, maybe I'll listen to him...maybe grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tom,

Earlier this year I decided on a hunting-firearms adventure somewhere between ultimate practicality and ultimate panache, a lightweight Sauer drilling in 16x16/7x57R. It came with a 1.5-6x Zeiss, also very practical....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
You are most every woman's nightmare as to an influence on husbands and sons.

Keep up the good work.

I saw a similar drilling in a local shop a year or so ago and thought that might be a necessity, but I caved.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
FWIW, IMHO, I think you would be much better served by going with a 7mm-08. It is for all rights and purposes an improved 7x57. Nothing wrong with choosing 7x57, but 7mm-08 is the better choice. Either way, enjoy your choice!

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Have a Forbes LH 7-08 very nice rifle light and accurate minimum chamber. Also have 2 7 X 57 LH Zastava 7 X 57 and a Ruger #1 both have long throat and are accurate but not as accurate and more fussy than the 7-08 Forbes. They sit in the safe and the Forbes gets used.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tom,

Earlier this year I decided on a hunting-firearms adventure somewhere between ultimate practicality and ultimate panache, a lightweight Sauer drilling in 16x16/7x57R. It came with a 1.5-6x Zeiss, also very practical....

can I borrow it?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roanmtn
If you were going to build a 7 x 57 for yourself how would you have the gunsmith chamber the barrel.

I am having a Rigby Stalker clone made here in Canada in 275 Rigby. Almost finished. Builder sent a couple pics yesterday.

In my many discussions with the gun maker I wondered about excessive throat length typical with a std 7x57 throat. We ended up getting a 7x57 Match reamer which will address this issue.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Dang y'all are pissin' me off now! Here I was going to build a rifle in 6.5x57 and got talked into a 7x57, I've got it almost ready to shoot after 3 years and now a bunch of you telling me I shoulda got a V8? I mean 7-08. Well I have it and I'm going to use it, LOL!

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Filaman
Dang y'all are pissin' me off now! Here I was going to build a rifle in 6.5x57 and got talked into a 7x57, I've got it almost ready to shoot after 3 years and now a bunch of you telling me I shoulda got a V8? I mean 7-08. Well I have it and I'm going to use it, LOL!

If you don't need heavier bullets, a 6.5x57 would be a great choice with a bit of extra cool added.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by SuperCub

If you don't need heavier bullets, a 6.5x57 would be a great choice with a bit of extra cool added.

Originally Posted by SuperCub

Well, it's too late for this one but I may build one yet. I agree with you on both points, the 6.5x57 would be very cool and a great performer on deer and hogs. And I hear a lot of people use 6.5x55s on elk, so the 6.5x57 would work for them too. I don't plan on shooting heavy bullets in the 7x57. I've got a .270, a 280, and a 7 Mag for that. Actually, for what I hunt and how I hunt a 7x57 wll do just fine as would a 6.5x57. I don't even use heavy bullets in my .270 when deer hunting. I've used 140 grains a time or two but I've stopped that and gone back to 130 grain Sierra Game Kings. They're a death ray on deer and hogs and I imagine they're what I'll use in the 7x57, only 140 grains.

Last edited by Filaman; 05/14/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Filaman,

One of my two other drillings is another, but slightly heavier, Sauer in 6.5x57R (the shotgun barrels are, of course, 16-gauge). The rifling twist is 1-8, and even with the slightly lower-pressure loads used in drillings, it duplicates the factory ballistics of the 6.5 Creedmoor.

It's also very accurate for a drilling. In fact, the guy I bought it from (luv2safari here on the Campfire) stated it was the most accurate drilling he's ever owned. With a 4x scope it will put five in an inch or less at 100 yards with all the bullets tried so far, which include the 129-grain Hornady Interlock, 129 Nosler AccuBond Long Range, and 125 Nosler Partition.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Tom,

can I borrow it?

Maybe, if you can promise to shoot flying birds, instead of ground-sluicing them.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ingwe
Tom,

can I borrow it?

Maybe, if you can promise to shoot flying birds, instead of ground-sluicing them.

But...but...they're so much easier when they aren't moving....

Besides...23 million turkey hunters can't be wrong...they LOVE ground sluicing them with a shotgun.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I never could figure out why it's SO sporting to ground-whack gobblers during the spring breeding season, when they're hormone addled. Why can't we do the same thing with rooster pheasants?

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have an 8 x57 and a 7.08. I also have a 284 win,a 308, 300 savage.

It seems for me resizing the 308 7/08 case and the 284 case as hard to get done reliably. The 8 x 57 and 300 savage I get along with better.

I don't know why.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 72 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.