Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I know of multiple people in federal law enforcement with stacks of documented disciplinary, conduct and performance issues that were never terminated; or in the unlikely event that they were after years and years, were eventually rehired. These people are some of the worst individuals Iā€™ve ever had the misfortune to either work with personally, or know of through others that did.

Iā€™m talking about people with issues that were obviously mental or moral, or both. But in every case the union would step in and defend them to the end. Also, even in cases that ultimately went to arbitration, the presiding decider would almost always side with the employee citing administrative mistakes, or some such other technicality that really ignored the fact that the guy was a POS, and had no business carrying a gun and badge.

It got so bad that I know of a lot of supervisors who just basically quit writing up these types because you could work yourself to death doing it, only to have them turn it around on you, and later claim harassment on the part of management. Then youā€™d find yourlsef on the other end defending yourself from the accusations which they would then absolutely take seriously.

God forbid the person in question was female or ā€œperson of colorā€ on top of everything else, in which case you can imagine how that would go.

The system is broken.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 05/14/20.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why do we call cops?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another fine example of law enforcement and the thin fat blue line that covers for them

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Why do we call cops?

When seconds count they're 10 minutes away. Most cops want us disarmed too.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Why do we call cops?

Because you don't know how to act like a responsible adult. You can't solve your problems and want a governmental 3rd party do it for you.

Its a bodily function for some. Someone parks on a public street in front your house? Call the cops. Someone was mean to you on Facebook? Call the cops. Your neighbors rake their leafs onto your front yard? Call the cops.

Thats why, because adults act like babies.

Hell look at all these grown children that are tattling on their neighbors for not staying indoors.

Yep that retard got his job back. Just like all the worthless teachers that still have a job and certification, just like the ethic-less lawyers that still have their law license. Its everywhere. Corrupt judges still on the bench....the list goes on.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 05/14/20.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
I know of multiple people in federal law enforcement with stacks of documented disciplinary, conduct and performance issues that were never terminated; or in the unlikely event that they were after years and years, were eventually rehired. These people are some of the worst individuals Iā€™ve ever had the misfortune to either work with personally, or know of through others that did.

Iā€™m talking about people with issues that were obviously mental or moral, or both. But in every case the union would step in and defend them to the end. Also, even in cases that ultimately went to arbitration, the presiding decider would almost always side with the employee citing administrative mistakes, or some such other technicality that really ignored the fact that the guy was a POS, and had no business carrying a gun and badge.

It got so bad that I know of a lot of supervisors who just basically quit writing up these types because you could work yourself to death doing it, only to have them turn it around on you, and later claim harassment on the part of management. Then youā€™d find yourlsef on the other end defending yourself from the accusations which they would then absolutely take seriously.

God forbid the person in question was female or ā€œperson of colorā€ on top of everything else, in which case you can imagine how that would go.

The system is broken.

Yep.

Look at what happened to Lon Horiuchi, the infamous Ruby Ridge assassin (FBI sniper). He was promoted by FBI bureaucracy to point man for procuring sniper weapons. And look at how HS Precision sucked up to get those contracts, even featured that creep in their catalog. Bureaucracies often promote problem actors to vindicate/justify their management snafus...

Everyone playing the CYA game, then and now.

I wrote HS off my procurement list. I don't forget.

The FBI is even more disgraced today. They've dug a pretty deep hole.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by efw
Even if a person has an arbitrated settlement, a pre-approved process agreed upon between employer and union for settling such things, or isnā€™t liable due to faulty training, would it be accurate to say theyā€™re restored to their position due to lack of constitutional due process?

OK, I'll try to explain it. Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, but I used to work in this area. Know just enough law to be dangerous!

Think of two separate tracks or layers, each involving due process. As noted, this case probably involved a typical union contract or agreement, with a disciplinary provision, with boiler plate that includes due process, "just cause" and such. No constitutional issue here, statutory labor law.

However, if the employee obtained his job through a formal civil service merit system, and has completed probation, he now has a property right to his employment. Even at a lower level of government, constitutional rights kick in, hence, due process. Not all government employees have this, some are employed at will, mostly management.

For those inclined to get outraged, consider this. In some cases the system allows multiple layers of employment protection such as a civil service hearing, then a multi-step union grievance procedure ending with arbitration, sometimes an appeal to court added in, and if these don't work, a last ditch civil rights claim. "Officer Smith was so traumatized by the unfair discipline by a prejudiced captain/chief out to get him, that he became chronically depressed or got PTSD and required medical treatment, so he demands reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act", translation: he keeps his job; or takes disability retirement. Not all systems allow multiple layers, but some do.

You had better believe that union reps and squad room lawyers know how to play the game.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another Government employee who doesn't have to do squat and can't be fired.

Is this a great country, or what?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another thing people are missing here is that the Broward Coward is a willing participant in this debacle.

If that gutless bastard had even once ounce of human decency, or remorse, he would not be suing for his reinstatement and back pay.

That makes him even lower in my book, than what he was before. Didn't think the bar could be lowered, but it can.

MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What I want to know is HTF a deputy sheriff makes 138,000 a year.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Chisos

Could be easy. Overtime gigs, possible vacation buyback, longevity pay, specialty pay, etc.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I deal with arbitrators frequently, doing on-site evaluations of claims to the Better Business Bureau on automotive warranty issues. I'm the guy the arbitrator sends out to try to verify the concern, based on 60+ years as a professional auto mechanic and 40 years of that time as an ASE-certified Master Automotive Technician. My report goes directly to the arbitrator, with a minimum of contact with the parties in the dispute. Sounds fair and reasonable, right? Here's the problem- - - - -most of the arbitrators I deal with are utterly incompetent. They have no more business evaluating a complex auto repair dispute than a hairdresser does passing judgement on a brain surgeon's work. One "arbitrator" I worked with on a problematic 10-speed Ford transmission with an intermittent shifting problem was a marriage counselor! They ask stupid questions that I have no way of answering with any degree of accuracy, and I'm forbidden to discuss the matter with someone who speaks my language- - - -the dealer, technician, or service manager who is usually trying to resolve the problem,. nor the car owner who has spent huge quantities of money on something they're not pleased with.

A lot of the problems are caused by "friction:"- - - - -a monthly payment rubbing up against a warranty after some slick-talking salesman sells somebody a vehicle they can't afford to pay for!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Put him back on the street- - - - -he's a better target there.
Jerry

That would be appropriate justice.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Chisos

Not a bad gig.

Draw big bucks, nice pension for life after 20 yrs.

Do yo thing, duck and hide when bullets start flying.

Play the game, get those promotions.

What's not to like.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's one retired Broward coward that occasionally comes in my favorite LGS. I can't stand the sight of that prick and my bud who runs the shop knows it. He is a pompous ass clown. Parks smack dab in the entrance drive to the shop (and all the other shops in the plaza), right off the main thoroughfare. He thinks my other bud, #2 in the shop, does a great job cleaning and lubricating guns and getting them looking their best, which he does. Everybody knows that. But, he doesn't want to pay for the service. Never fails he'll bring his shotguns in before duck or turkey season and expect Tom to do them up righteous for free. Burns my ass.

I always see an Oh Schit look on my bud's face through the glass when I walk up to the door because he KNOWS I will engage the moron on some level of his incompetence whenever I see that turd. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RicG
The "Union" strikes again.

My first thought, followed closely by biased/corrupt judge

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by local_dirt
There's one retired Broward coward that occasionally comes in my favorite LGS. I can't stand the sight of that prick and my bud who runs the shop knows it. He is a pompous ass clown. Parks smack dab in the entrance drive to the shop (and all the other shops in the plaza), right off the main thoroughfare. He thinks my other bud, #2 in the shop, does a great job cleaning and lubricating guns and getting them looking their best, which he does. Everybody knows that. But, he doesn't want to pay for the service. Never fails he'll bring his shotguns in before duck or turkey season and expect Tom to do them up righteous for free. Burns my ass.

I always see an Oh Schit look on my bud's face through the glass when I walk up to the door because he KNOWS I will engage the moron on some level of his incompetence whenever I see that turd. smile

Why in fugg does your buddy allow it?! Iā€™d tell him to GFH?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
Both Paulā€™s thanks!

My question was to do with the wording of the statement quoted in the OP that says constitutional due process. Seems like if it were an arbitration issue or if it were a problem of faulty training of the officer thatā€™d be the reason cited.

I guess I was asking in an unclear way of that statement was muddying the waters?

Even if a person has an arbitrated settlement, a pre-approved process agreed upon between employer and union for settling such things, or isnā€™t liable due to faulty training, would it be accurate to say theyā€™re restored to their position due to lack of constitutional due process?

I don't know. I chalked that up to clumsy wording by the media, but there may be something to it that I am not aware of.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Why in fugg does your buddy allow it?! Iā€™d tell him to GFH?

Dryfly, I don't know. Maybe they figure he'll buy something at some point. All I know is I can't stand the sight of that prick. Wish I still had my old F250 I used to haul material around in when I was doing a lot of rehabs. I'd ram his phugkin ass. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by hanco
Unions have a lot of power in some places.

There is probably an MOU in place that has all the guidelines for discipline and the termination process. If the county just blast through firing people on the spot, they union is going to win. The county is obligated to "build the gallows" stick by stick to hang someone.
FWIW, I think he should have stayed fired. Wasn't he the one that retired and got his pension?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 37 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.