Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
As I grow older, mid 70s, I have somewhat lost my balance. I use a cane when I might a little help. Most of my hunting is in the hill country. As most of you know it can be rocky and rough. Although, at this time, I don't need a walker, normally, I am now considering one, for hunting I've never really used one. I don't plan on going on any long range treks, but sometimes from truck to stand might be 100-200yds. Any suggestions? If you know of one on Amazon, it would help. thanks in advance capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know what to tell you, outside my expertise. But I have good results using one of my old bamboo ski poles. What I need mostly is a fixed point to hold onto to orient myself. Then what's left of my balance takes over. That's a cross country pole that comes up uncomfortably to the arm pit. Sorta like a hiking staff but with a decent grip. The extra length over, say, a downhill pole seems to help. (Seems exceptionally weird to be writing this crazy You never see it coming and it seems unreal.)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would suggest that you might want to try a set of trekking poles. I'm just a bit older than you, and I find that they really help with balance and secure foot placement. Much less cumbersome than a walker. You can usually find a good pair on Amazon at a reasonable price.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have felt more comfortable carrying a walking stick or cane with me for the last few years (I'm 71); especially in very rugged terrain. I use a telescoping stick quite often but am just as happy with a wood cane or staff. In winter, on icy ground, I prefer the telescoping stick with it's carbide tip.In the end, it all depends just how badly your balance is deteriorating and to what extent you can, through exercise or therapy, regain or retain your balance. Safety first. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by captdavid
As I grow older, mid 70s, I have somewhat lost my balance. I use a cane when I might a little help. Most of my hunting is in the hill country. As most of you know it can be rocky and rough. Although, at this time, I don't need a walker, normally, I am now considering one, for hunting I've never really used one. I don't plan on going on any long range treks, but sometimes from truck to stand might be 100-200yds. Any suggestions? If you know of one on Amazon, it would help. thanks in advance capt david

Over the years, I've had several instances where I have not had complete use of both legs.

I've had a broken ankle.

I've had a few Baker's Cysts. One came on at the front end of a backpacking trip.

Another time I had Muldar's Neuroma flair up while I was out bowhunting. I had to crawl out a half-mile to the truck. That one required surgery, and I was gimping around for two months.

Most recently, I had something go wrong at the attachment point of my right Achilles Tendon.

This is just normal wear and tear for a guy who liked backpacking and such things.

Around town, around the house and office, I've found a stout cane to be generally the best. For getting around in the field, I prefer a hiking staff--the longer the better. When you have a set distance where you can stuff a cane down like a rug or a sidewalk, this is the way to go. Indoors a hiking staff is too long and cumbersome. On the other hand, when your on broken ground or going up or down hills, It's best to have something that can adjust to the change in elevation. What's more, I can grab hold of the staff with both hands when needed. My best staff is about shoulder height and has a leather strap.

The worst I ever had was the Baker's Cyst. I was doing an over-nighter in Shawnee Forest near Portsmouth, Ohio and mistook a Baker's Cyst for a simple charlie horse. I didn't recognize the problem until about 8 miles in. I had to come out on one foot and the staff. I came close to dumping the 55 lb backpack, but gutted through.

Bottom line: I'd experiment. YMMV, but my choice is a staff.

Here's what I would pick:

https://www.amazon.com/Brazos-Twist...ing+Staff&qid=1589361992&sr=8-17
[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

My only criticism of this one is the cheezy rawhide. I'd use a leather strap that was easier on my wrist and that I could hang off of if needed. Mine has a brass cap on top that unscrews to reveal a 1/4-20 thread for camera.

One other thing: When I broke my ankle, they put me on crutches for a while. I was living in an urban environment and I needed to get to and from work on the bus. While I had the crutches, I was a target. Street scum were on me like white on rice. As soon as I could I got off the crutches and went to a staff. All of a sudden, I became Moses parting the Red Sea. Nobody dicked with me. One night I was out walking and went by the neighborhood saloon. There was a fight going on outside on the sidewalk. As soon as I came into the light carrying the staff, the fight stopped, and the crowd parted. From there on, I always carried a staff when I was out walking. The staff I kept for in-town trekking got beefed up. I drilled out the end and sunk an 6" lag screw in it. I also added a copper joint and poured lead in and the finished it off with a rubber tip. If that thing ever got brought into action, it would have been of significant benefit.

Last edited by shaman; 05/13/20.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shaman, I can identify with your post as well as those from other old farts here. Comes a time when to know when to hold 'em or to fold 'em. I've pretty much given up hunting except from the Jeep and only take the shot if it's a gimme.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can still hike all day. However, when I try a reasonable load for an overnight, I'm now prone to Baker's Cysts. It feels like you've been hit in the calf with a baseball bat-- there's a definite THWACK. The leg then swells up to watermelon size and doesn't go back down for a week. The last time I got it, the guy beside me was sure I'd gotten nailed by a rattlesnake and spent a good long time scouring the nearby weeds.

When I'm out and about on the farm, I usually carry a staff. My favorite is one I cut from a sassafras sapling years ago on the trail. I was in the Big South Fork and took a tumble on wet rocks-- no permanent damage, but I had to hobble out. BTW: If you want a light stick, cut a young Sassafras tree. When they're dried out, they're light and very strong. Mine is 15 years old now.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm younger than you by a few years, but always use a stick of some sort on my treks to the woods. My "standard" is a 4-foot or so stick I cut from the Kieffer pear in my yard, very strong and tough though only about 3/4" at the butt end. Friction tape around the grip area, rubber tip. Helps keep the weight off whichever knee or hip is plaguing me on any given day, and saves my bacon if I lose my footing on the trail. Also helps me keep my balance when stepping over stuff. If I lose it, I have more already cut waiting to replace it.

Shaman's right about a staff, but I like to use fiberglass garden stakes, cut to length and wrapped with friction tape. Walmart sells them and so does Amazon. A 1/2" or 5/8" one is super strong without being too heavy. The ones at
Walmart are made by Miracle Gro, and have an overwrap to prevent splinters, but the tape is still a good idea. A rubber tip makes them indoor-friendly and also quieter on the trail.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I still get around pretty well for a semi-geezer, but have been using a pair of shooting sticks as a "hiking staff" for years, either my original Underwood lightweight sticks (about as long as a cane), or a couple of different adjustable sticks set to offhand height. Which I use depends on whether I expect an offhand shot, but any of them help enormously, providing considerably more stability either in level timber or on slopes.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
There are many good balance exercise videos on You Tube, many designed for us. I have incorporated several into my workout routine. Increasing your core and overall strength and endurance has many benefits and will increase your overall sense of well being. Adjustable hiking poles are a great aid and can be set up as shooting sticks w/ ease. If you are a winter hunter/hiker Katoola Micro spikes on your boots are worth their weight in gold. The more you do the more you will be able to do. Aging sucks! resist, resist, resist grin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I feel that exercise to improve core muscles is vital to your ability to ambulate. I am 71 and a bi-lateral BK amputee. I also use trekking poles to aid in balance on difficulties terrain and it helps a lot. To improve my core and strength in general I do 300 reps on a MaxiClimber each day and walk the dog a half mile each day. In addition I sit on an exercise ball every chance I get. I do 50 reps of 30 pounds each for curls and shoulder shrugs along with 3sets of 12 reps each push-ups and leg lifts using the exercise ball every other day. All of this has helped allow me to stay reasonably fit and without this I would just be confined to the house, yard and truck! I could not live that way. You may be able to do more or less but my point is to keep doing as much as you can! Good luck!! Mac

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
A good sized walking stick with a crutch tip. I am in the process of making one for myself for when I go over our river bank where the rocks are. You need something with a good grip on the end.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Look up Trekking poles on the internet and find the best deal.
I got a pair less than $40 shipped with a lifetime guarantee. Actually using 2 helps to push you forward. The manufacturers have videos showing you how to use them correctly. If you only use one you can also find them, but what I could find was about the same price as two.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I took a friend of mine with similar mobility and balance problems on his last mule deer hunt in the badlands. With all the oil activity the big deer have gotten very reclusive. He used the short aluminum crutches that encircled his forearm and had a grip for him to hold. He insisted on carrying his own rifle but everything else went in my pack. He did very well in the snow and broken ground terrain so I would have to suggest trying a set and seeing if they give you the mobility and support you are looking for.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If by losing your balance you mean vertigo,there are exercises you can do to alleviate this problem.I have gotten vertigo because of several concussions.It went completely away with exercise.Do a search on your PC.I am 76 and walk 2 miles a day with one of my dogs,do stretching and yoga in the morning and lift light weights.If you don`t use it ,ya lose it.Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The telescoping shooting sticks works well in a duo capacity. I use ski poles for wading on slick rocks, most Goodwill stores (when they reopen) have a pile of them for as little as a buck apiece, never more than five. Lashed together these make decent bi-pods too.

I have seen walkers with big wheels but they look cumbersome. Hopefully your not ready for one yet but there are some amazing all terrain wheelchairs being made now.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for your ideas.What residencies I'm going to ad 'balance exercises'. One advantage I see in walker is that it gives me a way to carry my stuff. I will never go more than a few hundred yards. Where I hunt, south and central Texas, we have few creeks and it snows about once a year. Thanks,captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could wear someone out with that...

Coyotes shot no waiting.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 52 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,241
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.