-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Since I was a little boy I've loved the 52(b) Probably shot my best target ever in Boy Scouts Camp. Are the similarities enough to swap the barreled action into a 52 stock?? Doable?
Thanks guys.

Be very careful what you say about a man's wife and kids, but be damn careful what you say about a man's bird dog!
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not worth the trouble. The Target model 75 is a tad better than a 69A but still light years behind a 52B trigger. Plenty of 75 Targets around $500 or less in the US. Not sure about Canada.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And it still won't be a 52 B. Find what you want and buy it.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by steve99
And it still won't be a 52 B. Find what you want and buy it.

My exact thought... I was going to comment lastnight, but thought it might be rude. Just leave the 69A alone. Sell it to someone that will appreciate it!! Find a 52B and be happy. They are around. I found one last year and it was no where near what they were wanting for them 5 years ago. The time to buy is right now.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good luck with your search. They are out there, and speaking of really nice 75 target rifles, I ran across one a few months ago at a small gunshow and the guy wanted $400.00 for it. I should have bought it and no I am not giving out his contact info... Don't even pm me..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
salarguy

There are no flies on a Model 69A. I have one and like it a lot. Very accurate, think Model 75 without the nice wood. Mine is grroved for a tip-off scope mount so that helps.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by steve99
salarguy

There are no flies on a Model 69A. I have one and like it a lot. Very accurate, think Model 75 without the nice wood. Mine is grooved for a tip-off scope mount so that helps.

Not exactly. IIRC the 69A was chambered for S,L, or LR as were most .22 sporters, while the 75 was a target rifle and chambered for LR only. Actually, the difference is probably the twist rather than the chamber.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paul,

I should have been more specific. I was talking about the Model 75 Sporter, not the Target version. Can't say as to twist but would be surprised to find any of them having different twists, meaning the 69A, either version of the 75 or any of their stablemates. If any would be twisted differently it would be the 52. But there is plenty I don't know.

Steve

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know the 69A was designated S,L,LR as were most .22s of the day. I just looked at a photo of a 75 Sporter online and it was marked .22 Long Rifle. I'd think that the Target and Sporter models were chambered the same and with the same twist.

In any case, just based on the barrel marking, there is a difference between the 69A and 75.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a possibility that the 75 had 6 grooves. Winchester used that rifling on the Model 52 and some other higher end models. The 69 was cut with 4 grooves as were other less expensive models. The rifle twist was 1 in 16 in all rifles chambered for 22 LR, then and now. The 22 short had either a 1 in 20 or 1 in 24 inch twist. This info came from Phil Sharpe's "Rifle in America" published in 1938. The Model 75 wasn't in it, nor was the M-69A.
I expect the Model 75 was made to tighter tolerances and with more care in either the Sporter model or the Target model. It has been remarked on that some Sporter 75's had better wood on them than the 52's being produced.

Apologies to salarguy for running off with his thread.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 48 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,490
Posts18,452,094
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.