Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve posted about this before, but it’s become even more important now that Turdeau has shown his true totalitarian colours.

There is 24 hours left to sign up as a member eligible to vote in the Conservative leadership campaign.

We need a new Conservative leader who is smart, articulate and, most important, who doesn’t belong to the stodgy old boy’s club. Like it or not, that doesn’t get the voters excited. Trudeau is a perfect example of that.

So, let’s fight fire with fire. Support Leslyn Lewis for Conservative leader.

No, she’s not a gunny. She’s a black, female, immigrant Toronto lawyer. But she’s a true blue conservative and understands that the gun problem in Toronto isn’t caused by hunters and sport shooters.

Spend $15 to sign up. Even if you don’t end up supporting Leslyn, at least buy a membership in order to have your say.

This next election is probably the most important one for gun owners in Canada ever. Let’s elect a Conservative leader who puts common sense above pandering to urban citiots.

Last edited by Wannabebwana; 05/14/20.
BP-B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Wish you all well up in Canada.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Derek Sloan is the most friendly towards firearms owners, but I think Leslyn has a better chance of flushing the Turd.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan:
Good afternoon sir, I hope the day's behaving properly on your side of the big hills and this finds you and yours well.

With the understanding that I'm asking an honest question as I'm attempting to educate myself on the candidates, do you believe that her lack of experience and the fact that she doesn't currently have a seat will hurt things?

On the CCFR site on faceplant that was brought up and it was pointed out it was a bit of a process to get Jagmeet Singh going after he was elected leader but had no seat.

If you're so inclined, I'd like to hear your take on O'Toole as well.

While Peter MacKay has experience in parliament, somehow I'm not entirely sure about him - for reasons I can't quite put my finger on honestly sir.

Anyway, again I'm trying to be educated and value your opinion, should you be so inclined.

All the best to you all sir. Stay well.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Dwayne, if I may pipe in.

I think McKay’s been in politics too long and he’s inevitably got too many hands pulling his strings.

Sloan honestly comes off to me as too radically conservative. His position on abortion is a loser. Frankly, I’m pro-choice, but I despise the BS around it. It’s a baby, not a parasite or a clump of cells. A baby. If you can live with yourself, go ahead. See you in 15 or 20 years for mental health issues.

O’Toole to me seems liberal lite. We don’t need someone like Juthtin, we need a clear choice.

Plus, none of them will poll well with urbanites. Like it or not, elections are won in Toronto, Montreal, QC and Vancouver.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The last election was a huge disappointment to our house. I was involved in three ridings -- ours tightly held NDP (Edm Strathcona) -- we gained substantial ground with the Conservative candidate but still lost -- Scheer never came to the riding and was not seen as a strength by the people we know in the riding, Edmonton Centre - Liberal Randy Boissonnault --- I wanted this fellow gone and so did many others, Edmonton Mill Woods - Amarjeet Sohi -- bus driver turned politician and seen as a Trudeau lackey. Scheer came to both of these ridings for support but I do not think it was required. Both of these ridings went blue. If you are reading this bye bye Randy see you Amarjeet !

My understanding on the east is Scheer avoided getting help from Doug Ford in Ontario and went his own way which turned out to be a failing. Scheer with his continuous grin came across visually as a speaker that thought even the most serious issues were humorous. He had baggage that he either took to long to speak to on correction or had hidden that came out at the end and hurt his chances. He also did not go for the throat on issues that were there --- SNC, Mark Norman, Black Face, Point Grey --- he seemed to want to be seen as the nice guy, above getting down and dirty in a knife fight.

So ---- This next election I would like to see someone that can attract the eastern voters, is very well spoken and comes across as caring, is not afraid of getting in a knife fight and can give more that take, has no hidden baggage (so no reversals on policy or issue management)

Peter McKay --- has baggage, has ties back to Harper (great PM but has a lasting stigma with younger people), has flipped on a number of issues (gun control being one)
Derek Sloan --- I have not followed in detail. Just a few things turned me off on being to far to the right
Peter O'Toole --- Has come out hard and consistent on issues -- has done well in his riding in the east, military ties which may help with the Maritimes and ties to Ontario --- would never get votes in Quebec
Leslyn Lewis --- Late to the party but coming on, very interested in what she has to say, well educated, not tied back to old baggage as Peter McKay and perhaps O'Toole, not sure she would make a difference in the Maritimes, perhaps more seats in BC and Ontario, Quebec may have an outside chance for some gains but I doubt it as the level of patronage corruption under the current system is to their benifit. I am watching Ms Lewis closely and wanting to learn more.

Right now for me it is close to a toss up on Lewis vs O'Toole. It will be interesting what the more formal process brings out.

I just do not want another Scheer re-make.

Hugh
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O'Toole for me.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm really on the fence on this one. I'm a CP member and have never voted anything but and sort of swaying between O'Toole/Lewis. Even as a Manitoban flatlander I wish Doug Ford was in this. Alas...Not Yet.

Last edited by 450yukon; 05/14/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Jordan:
Good afternoon sir, I hope the day's behaving properly on your side of the big hills and this finds you and yours well.

With the understanding that I'm asking an honest question as I'm attempting to educate myself on the candidates, do you believe that her lack of experience and the fact that she doesn't currently have a seat will hurt things?

On the CCFR site on faceplant that was brought up and it was pointed out it was a bit of a process to get Jagmeet Singh going after he was elected leader but had no seat.

If you're so inclined, I'd like to hear your take on O'Toole as well.

While Peter MacKay has experience in parliament, somehow I'm not entirely sure about him - for reasons I can't quite put my finger on honestly sir.

Anyway, again I'm trying to be educated and value your opinion, should you be so inclined.

All the best to you all sir. Stay well.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

The trends that we see in the US often trickle up here several years later. For several years the popular opinion in the US was to select a liberal leader (Obama), and that was followed by a sweeping desire for a populist candidate rather than a deep establishment, career politician. I believe that trend will make it's way up here, I just don't know exactly when it'll happen. If the general trend up here in the next election is to look for a populist candidate, then Lewis is that person. So to answer your question, the fact that she is not a career politician could either be a very, very good thing, or a very bad thing. Being a visible minority and a woman only helps draw in fringe voters. Lewis would be my second choice based on policy, but I'll probably vote for her because I think she's the only candidate that offers Canadians something new and different. She knows what she believes, isn't afraid to explain and stand up for her values, and she's not a white male (which unfortunately is rather demonized in our current societal state). I also very much appreciate that Lewis is willing to admit when she is uninformed on a subject, go and educate herself, and them form an opinion, rather than the all-too-common approach of politicians to issue shotgun opinions based on insufficient information.

My take on it is that Peter MacKay is the typical career politician who will say whatever it takes to get elected so as to not hinder his career. He tries to appeal to both sides of the political spectrum and is "lukewarm," so to speak. I think he'd be received by the Canadian people as Andrew Sheer, and doubt he'd be elected over Trudeau unless Justine does something stupid enough that even Liberal voters turn away from him. MacKay would be my last choice for party leader.

I think Derek Sloan is most clearly on our side when it comes to firearms legislation, stating that he'll repeal the Firearms Act completely and build up something sensible from scratch. I don't see him as radical at all, but I do see him as a TRUE conservative, while MacKay and O'Toole are somewhat more liberalized Conservatives. I think Sloan would be my first choice if I thought he could beat Trudeau, but I'm just not sure that he can. Being young and not a lifer is an advantage, IMO, and is partly what drew people to Trudeau in the past.

O'Toole would be my third choice in this running, simply because he's not quite conservative enough for my tastes, and also because his firearms position isn't strong enough for me. I do really like his position of ending government subsidies for media companies in Canada, though. Tough to have a populace that is well-informed by an unbiased media industry, when that media industry promotes whichever party promises the most money if they win...

For a decent summary of the positions of the various candidates on a variety of topics, this link has some good info. Scroll down to the table:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Conservative_Party_of_Canada_leadership_election

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan;
Thanks kindly sir for taking the time to write that up for me and all of us for that matter, I very much appreciate it.

Absolutely I shall study the link and see what I can see.

As was said on the CCFR site, I'd like to back a winner for sure.

While we heard Sheer speak in person and would say he was quite good in a smaller group setting, he just didn't do well in front of the camera somehow.

Thanks again sir, Happy Victoria Day weekend to you all and do stay well.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
While Leslyn Lewis is probably a good choice to beat Castro Jr., I hate the fact that we can't seem to get away from lawyers. Nonetheless, getting the Liberals out of there is the main thing and if it takes supporting a lawyer to do that, I can do it. GD

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Turdeau’s not a lawyer. Just sayin’. Neither was Harper.

But I understand the sentiment.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Not a lawyer but a pseudo-academic who has managed to avoid living in the real world. Harper was not a lawyer but was an academic and, again, a bit disconnected. Nonetheless, I approved of much of his policies. He came pretty close to being a true fiscal conservative.
It would be nice to have someone who has, at least, some connection with the people who do the real work which built, builds, and maintains this country. Instead, we have this bastard who had never done a days work in his life and has no real clue. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by greydog
Not a lawyer but a pseudo-academic who has managed to avoid living in the real world. Harper was not a lawyer but was an academic and, again, a bit disconnected. Nonetheless, I approved of much of his policies. He came pretty close to being a true fiscal conservative.
It would be nice to have someone who has, at least, some connection with the people who do the real work which built, builds, and maintains this country. Instead, we have this bastard who had never done a days work in his life and has no real clue. GD

greydog
What does this say about the voting public that would vote for Trudeau then?

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It says they are largely disconnected from reality. They voted for the "Shiny Pony". In a lot of cases, they are "party" voters who would vote Liberal if they ran a cocker spaniel (Some would say, that was proven in the last elections).
The next conservative candidate has to have the fortitude to stand on a conservative platform and convince the voters that is in the best interest of the nation (which it is) GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's dead simple, but are you sure you can stomach the medicine ? Let go by regions

The Maritimes, Harper pulled 2 billion dollars from their healthcare system and gave to Alberta. Don't worry after a couple of more elections they will forget, and go back to voting as they always have.Maybe
Quebec, in order to win here you need a leader who is from Quebec. Any federalist politian from Quebec tends to look greasy to the rest of the country. And from the way they vote, to Quebecers as well. Kind of explains the Bloc.
Ontario is two provinces really, GTA and the rest. The rest is kind of a rump, so you need the GTA. Gun control, more immigration and gay rights work well here.
Prairies , that's sewn up. But if the Conservatives elect another leader from here, that's all they will get.
BC is fractured with an urban rural split. The urban is the third largest in the country, and what worked in GTA should work well here as well.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Peter McKay is yesterday's news and is too closely tied to the old PC party and the merging of PC and Reform. He chose to exile himself (for his family?) And now wants back in.

Derek Sloan started fast, but seems to have fizzled. Had/has some good positions.

Leslyn Lewis has many good positions, seems straight forward and has no baggage. Woman of color, hard for Libs and media to go after her. How good is her French?

Erin O'Toole, former air force officer, fluent in French. Won a suburban Ontario election 3 times. Decent positions, is he too willing to deal?

IMO, it's between Lewis and O'Toole.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Dwayne, if I may pipe in.

I think McKay’s been in politics too long and he’s inevitably got too many hands pulling his strings.

Sloan honestly comes off to me as too radically conservative. His position on abortion is a loser. Frankly, I’m pro-choice, but I despise the BS around it. It’s a baby, not a parasite or a clump of cells. A baby. If you can live with yourself, go ahead. See you in 15 or 20 years for mental health issues.

O’Toole to me seems liberal lite. We don’t need someone like Juthtin, we need a clear choice.

Plus, none of them will poll well with urbanites. Like it or not, elections are won in Toronto, Montreal, QC and Vancouver.

This post says it all. The urbanites of Toronto, Montreal, Bancouver, and QC will decide your elections. I don't see much hope for Canada. I'm Canadian via my mother and only live 100 or so miles from the border but haven't returned since the late 80's. I'll stay in Idaho.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Speaking of Leslyn Lewis -

Dr. Leslyn Lewis - fear and firearms

"Dear Constituent,

I want my children, my neighbours’ children and the children all across Canada to be safe from violence.

But I don’t appreciate when someone tries to use my concern for my children’s well-being to trick me into accepting bad policies.

The Liberal gun ban makes me angry not just because they are going after law-abiding firearms owners, but because they are preying on the fears of parents and concerned Canadians to get away with it.

If Justin Trudeau truly wanted to protect Canadians like me and my family, he would have accepted the Conservatives' long-standing policy of directing funds towards cracking down on smuggled firearms and gang violence.

In order to convince Canadians that there are thousands upon thousands of military-style firearms floating around Canada, the Liberals released a scarily long list of “1,500 assault-style weapons” that they will ban.

But in order to hit that big scary number, they had to list not only guns that have already been banned; they included cannons and an ever-changing list of “variations” of certain types of firearms.

Meaning that target shooters and duck hunters now trying to purchase legal rifles, have bought firearms that are perfectly legal one day, but then found themselves suddenly in possession of a prohibited firearm the next.

I love my kids, and I would do anything to protect them, but I am not afraid of sport shooters, duck hunters, or cannons. This is why I have promised to repeal this Liberal gun ban and reroute these resources to tackle firearm smuggling, invest in vulnerable youth, and fight gang violence.

I look forward to taking on Justin Trudeau in the next election and presenting my plan for common sense firearms laws that protect the rights of our law-abiding hunters and farmers while taking real measures to protect our families.”

Low speed, high drag
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This is a slippery slope and fueled by urban types.
It seems a hayseed like myself is the poster boy for what they do not want in Canada.
So they don't want hunting or fishing , rodeo, livestock, church ....connect the dots, folks. There numbers are growing , ours are diminishing.
The Trudeau Government is clearly manipulating this and dividing our country.
We had better be unified against this and it means being involved at the local level. Boots, not flip flop sandles.
...and dig your heels in. My little old opinion.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
673 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 2,997 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.