Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
A while back I picked up a used Rem 700ML in 50 cal. It's an early gen 1 rifle that's seen better days but I couldn't pass up the price. I'm typically a 54 cal PRB shooter with my Hawken/Plains style half stocked rifles. Thinking about sending it off to Badger Ridge Industries for their sealed breach 209 conversion and using BH209 powder. The bore on the 700ML, unfortunately, is a little rougher than I like and am also thinking about getting it punched out to 54 cal and twist rate to accommodate bullets for the 500 S&W. But then, how much $$$ do you keep throwing at it?! I haven't used an inline in years, decades even, I like more traditional stuff, just me. But I'm a gun looney and like them all! Any pointers on who to talk to about a rebore? Thanks in advance, Dean.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've found Sabots for 54x500 and 50x475. I do like big holes for ML's!

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 05/15/20.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
The Badger Ridge 209 conversion is a worthwhile upgrade. You might be able to find a take off barrel with a good bore cheaper than having yours rebored. Custom builders like Arrowhead might have some laying around.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks tmitch, I'll give Arrowhead a look.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I bought one of these "original" versions brand new years ago!. 50 cal. That thing would shoot. I regret selling it!!

Last edited by Highoctane; 05/15/20.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Going to try some abrasive bore cleaner that I have and some steel wool and see if the barrel cleans up any better. Looked at Harvester and MMP for Sabots and see that MMP makes a 50 cal Sabot for .475" bullets (what the 475 Linebaug and 480 Ruger use). Most of my hunting anymore is in central or NE Wisconsin where shots are typically short, 100 yards being a long shot. For those distances, I should just stick to my 54 cal PRB guns. But like I said, I'm a gun looney!

NRA life member

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
No MMP does not make a 50x475 sabot.....Harvester does

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Oops, my bad!

NRA life member

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Clean it down to barrel metal and Dyna Tec it.Mule Deer put me on to it and it worked wonders on an old 38-55

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a R700 gen1 50 call that I've had for 20 plus years. Put a BRI conversion in it a couple yrs ago. I like it a lot and would do it again if I pick up another gen 1. Don't see a need to buy the new R 700 ultimate ML.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Badger Ridge has the best sealed 209 setup for the older 700ml. Arrow Head Sporting Goods has a nice one too. Both are much much better than any of the others and they both work with BH209. A couple guys are still selling barrels for them. Occasionally they got some factory take offs too.

I would not waste my time on the 50x475 sabot. The petals are way thinner than the groove depth of the bore. 50x458 will give you more options and cheaper bullets. 54x50 is a good option too if you can find a nice take off barrel. There are several really nice bullets in 50cal that will also work great in sabots.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Bought a laminated stock UML around Christmas time; slightly used. Tried and tried to get it to shoot the 300 gr Barnes T-EZ to no avail; could barely break under 2" groups with BH209. Talked to George Perry, a well known MZ guy. By the end of the conversation, he had me convinced I had a bad barrel and since I was a LR guy, might consider a 45 cal bore riding conversion by Levi Reed of LR Customs. Turns out i'd known Levi through mutual Facebook friends. We talked, I researched Levi and his conversion and went for it. It was about a 6 hour round trip drive to drop it off. With no hurry, I patiently waited and about 3 months later he contacted me saying it was ready. Another 6 hour R/T drive with a small shooting tutorial from Levi. It has a new 25"-26" (not sure how to measure a MZ barrel), 1:20 twist SS, Brux barrel, some action work which unlocks the action sooner, a bolt stop which keeps the bolt from retracting back under the rear bridge making it harder to place the Arrowhead rifle primer modules. It also came with a Swing Lock smooth sizing die which sizes the bullets to the exact diameter needed to push a bullet down the bare bore, clean or fouled. Also included is a SpinJag for the end of my ram rod. My first trip to the range last Friday with some Parker 300 gr Black Max bullets over BH209 capped with Fed 215 match primers and I had 1/2 dozen 1", +/- a tenth or two, 3-shot groups. Velocities were in the 2420 to 2500 fps range. On Sunday I went back up to shoot some more groups at 313 yds with the powder charge nodes which showed promise. I was rewarded by several MOA + groups and this .54 moa group running 2448 fps.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Alan

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wow. Now that is some danged great shooting!

And man, that sucker is hustling those 300’s out.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Update. I'd been told by Levi Reed their is a higher accuracy node with the BH209. I tried a 2 gr spread, which increased my velocity by 100 fps; now in the 2540 fps range. Still MOA +/- .1". Tried my skill at 480 yds and came away with a 1 to 1.5 moa group. The variance is due to the fact the morning canyon wind switched directions on me; down canyon early on and up canyon as the sun warmed things up. Still very pleased with this rifle/load. Hate the cost of the Parker Black Max bullets at $2.65 each once you throw in shipping. Drew a Utah Book Cliffs MZL cow tag and will also buy an over the counter spike elk tag this week so i'll have two MZL tags in my pocket this Fall.

Alan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder if Dyna Bore Coat would Atleast partially fill the pitting of the bore. I shoot a TC Encore pro but my rifles loves Blackhorn 209 and the 300 grain ballistic tips.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Truth be told, I sold it. Going to put the funds towards a new stock for the Green Mountain 54 cal round ball barrel that I have. In-lines have their place, I'm just more of a Hawken style muzzleloader shooter.

NRA life member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,707
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.