Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
It seems from some other threads that the 75 Hornady BTSP works fine on deer/pigs/antelope, what about the 69 gr Sierra MK in .223? Anyone tried them?

Not going to shoot a huge deer, probably 150 lb or less.

Not really looking for opinions on other bullets, I know from experience that 65 GK and 64 BSB work, but I have an accurate load for the 69 and got to wondering.

Thanks in advance.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I believe it was Rost who said he shot an old refrigerator sitting out in a field at 300 yards with that bullet and it went through both sides. Great penetration but no expansion was my take-away. It is a fairly easy bullet to get to shoot well.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Fridges and flesh might cause the bullet to do different things.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RickyD
I believe it was Rost who said he shot an old refrigerator sitting out in a field at 300 yards with that bullet and it went through both sides. Great penetration but no expansion was my take-away. It is a fairly easy bullet to get to shoot well.

Ok

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've shot a fair amount of groundhogs with 69 grain Matchkings. Results are very inconsistent. Sometimes they blow up like a grenade, other times they just pencil through. I gave up on them for shooting varmints and wouldn't begin to consider using them on a deer.

The 65 grain SGK is a MUCH better bullet for deer.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
At 200 yards, I've found accuracy of the 65 GK and the 69 MK to be the same with good loads.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by lotech
At 200 yards, I've found accuracy of the 65 GK and the 69 MK to be the same with good loads.

I've found the same.

I've also found that the loads are very similar, other than optimum seating depth. That 65 SGK is a nice little bullet.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes, the 65 GK is an excellent little bullet, I've used it and will continue to do so. But if the 69 SMK works for things other than paper and steel I'd like to have a load worked up for it too.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Yes, the 65 GK is an excellent little bullet, I've used it and will continue to do so. But if the 69 SMK works for things other than paper and steel I'd like to have a load worked up for it too.

Personally, I'd just use the 65 SGK if I already had a good load worked up for said rifle. Why take the chance using a match type bullet that has been known to have unreliable characteristics on opening up on small game animals.. If I were going to hunt deer with a .223, I'd look more in to the Hornady interlock, or TSX... I shoot a lot of 69gr sierra match kings into paper as well, but that is their intended purpose. I don't like to second guess what a bullet is going to do to a big game animal before, during or after I pull the trigger. That doesn't add confidence..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yes, it was I that said they made it though the side by side fridge freezer.

Yet we have shot a fair amount of stuff with em and have not had an issue with em.

Watched a book deer drop to a lung shot from one too.

That said its not a big deal to use a game bullet, though I"ve had really bad issues with Sierra game kings so I won't use those.. we just shoot with match bullets or with TTSX. Bigger rounds like 308 etc.. we use a few Berger match bullets too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.