Print Thread
Hop To
D
Deans Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Have a co-worker that purchased a 6.5 PRC from Fierce. He purchased the ammo that was recommended and he is getting the first shot high and the rest group lower. It does not matter if the barrel is clean or fouled. Any ideas what may cause this? All help appreciated.

Deans

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Scope--or mounts.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Never had it with a center fire, Always it seems with Remington 541's of several flavors. First shot. I would agree on a center fire, scope or mounts. Perhaps barrel contact with the stock.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pressure point in the stock or not properly glass bedded..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Barrel contract is highly unlikely with a Fierce--though any such basic problem is always worth checking, even with a custom/semi-custom rifle. Have had plenty of those :"encounters"....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I believe they have a half minute 3 shot group guarantee.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Deans - I had a very similar problem with my Ruger No. 1 .30-06, first shot was always high. It was a bedding issue and the rifle shoots great now that it was corrected.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ruger No. 1s are well known for having odd effects from the factory forend bedding, and there are several solutions. Their forend bedding, however, does not resemble the Fierce Rifle's free-floating in any way.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If OTHER shooters are unable to replicate this performance, then it is likely...the shooter.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
D
Deans Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks everyone. I have my coworkers rifle and I'll check the scope and mounts, the action and free floating. Then clean it good and next weekend (provided it don't rain) go shoot it and see what it does.

Deans

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
If your friend is using sand bags or any kind of bag with a filler, the first shot may be “settling” the filler and then subsequent shots are shooting to a different point of impact. You might want to try a softer material such as a folded towel on the front bag to hopefully, give a more consistent reaction in the rifle when it’s fired.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Deans
Have a co-worker that purchased a 6.5 PRC from Fierce. He purchased the ammo that was recommended and he is getting the first shot high and the rest group lower. It does not matter if the barrel is clean or fouled. Any ideas what may cause this? All help appreciated.

Deans

What does 'first shot' really mean? If the barrel is fouled, might there have been a shot prior to that?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (11point, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,925 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,355
Posts18,468,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.