Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
After watching those videos I’m going to withdraw my offer to try it at least once.
And definitely not sitting down. That’s some badass [bleep].

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by buckstix
Hello elkhunternm,

As a follow-up:

I had an opportunity to speak with Art Alphin yesterday, he told me all the Factory records were lost by one of the subsequent owners of the A-Square Company. He also said that all the actions were re-heat-treated and magnaflux tested before use.. I found an "MC5" stamped on the bottom of my rifle's receiver which Art said would have been the "re-heat-treat" number. He didn't recall exactly how many rifles were built in 577 T-Rex caliber, but indicated it was a relatively low number. He also told me the serial numbers on all the rifles were the original numbers of the rifle's manufacturer, whether preserved or re-stamped.

Thanks Buckstix. My guess as to the number of .577 T-Rex made would be a little higher than yours,say 30 or so. In the A-Square reloading manual Art Alphin mentioned that there were a dozen T-Rex's headed to Africa at the time the manual was in edit. Most certainly over a dozen IMO.

Last edited by elkhunternm; 01/31/19.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Serious question - do you worry about physical injury shooting something like this? Watching those poor saps shooting that cannon with such poor form I could easily see a dislocated shoulder, rotator cuff or labrum tear, humerus fracture, collar bone fracture, AC joint separation, or my personal worst fear - retina detachment in the eye.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Thanks Buckstix. My guess as to the number of .577 T-Rex made would be a little higher than yours,say 30 or so. In the A-Square reloading manual Art Alphin mentioned that there were a dozen T-Rex's headed to Africa at the time the manual was in edit. Most certainly over a dozen IMO.

Hello elkhunternm.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, in re-reading the manual, it said "2 dozen" were on the way to Africa. I'm thinking that perhaps the "one dozen" comment were for those sold here in the USA.

As a follow-up, temperature was about 39 degrees above yesterday, up from 26 below zero on Thursday. That's about a 65 degree swing in less than 72 hours. So, I finally got got out to the range to test fire the T-Rex. However, nothing spectacular happened because I'm slowly working up loads and I only got up to about 577 NE levels; that being 2050 fps velocity. That's only 94 ft/lbs of recoil energy and it was a "fun load" shooting level. That being said, I never thought I would use the words "only" and "94 ft/lbs of recoil energy" in the same sentence.

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
J
J
buckstix, do you still have your Tyrannosaur? Been looking for one for YEARS! Would you consider selling for the right price?

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's a nice rifle, but my neck hurts just looking at it.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
All I can say is OUCH!!!!!

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That rifle reminds me of many of the WWII French military rifles. Fired once and dropped...

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It looks to me a fine deer rifle for those bigger deer.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello elkhunternm,
...I had an opportunity to speak with Art Alphin yesterday...

I see that this post was back in 2019. A couple of years ago, Art was coming out to our range and shooting skeet with us. Haven't seen or heard from him for quite a while. I was just wondering how he was doing.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
From the videos, I think that that rifle kicks a "little" more than my favorite rifle caliber------------- the elephant killing 7x57 (7mm Mauser)! smile smile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Beautiful rifle and congratulations...to your orthopedic surgeon...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I knew right away only you would want to hunt one of these down. Congrats! Nice addition to your very select collection.

For those that don't know, when Buckstix gets into something, he does it right. He has collected some unbelievably nice doubles.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hatari
I knew right away only you would want to hunt one of these down. Congrats! Nice addition to your very select collection.

For those that don't know, when Buckstix gets into something, he does it right. He has collected some unbelievably nice doubles.

Hello hatari,
Thanks for the reply.

It took me 5 years to find the first one .... and only 4 days to find a second one. And its even nicer.

here's the link

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/14980055

Last edited by buckstix; 06/25/20.

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shooting video please.

wink

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now you can simply walk up and slay the beast...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Nice rifles, always wanted to try one out. What’s it like?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Those are very nice rifles.

I would like to see what the 577 T-REX would do to a charging grizzly.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.