Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Which way would you go and why? My pastor is a younger man and I got his rifle in order to load up some low recoil training rounds for his boys. The scope on it is a piece of junk, old simmons. Does not track when trying to adjust. You know the kind, 5 inches low, up 20 clicks, same impact point, up a few more clicks, suddenly 3 inches high. So I am gong to put a new scope on since he has been forced to shut his retail store due to co-vid 19, and he is trying to make a go of it. I got a few other church men to pitch in 50 bucks, so I have 200 to scope the gun. The gun is a Marlin 336 30-30. I am seriously considering the redfield revolution 2-7 since I have one on a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem and love it. Having said that, Leupold Freedom also makes a 2-7 and about the same price point. Is there any reason to go that route instead of the redfield? I am leaning pretty hard toward the redfield unless somebody talks me out of it. I would like to stay with a 32ish mm objective in order to use the existing rings on the gun.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that the lens coatings on the Leupold are superior to those on the Redfield. It has been my impression that the Redfield Revolution was optically comparable to the Leupold VX1 and that the Leupold Freedom is optically comparable to the VX2. With Nikon going out of the rifle scope business, you might find a good deal on a 2-7x ProStaff.

Sending you a PM.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have two of the Redfield Revolution scopes and three of the VX Freedom scopes and the lens in the Freedom are definitely better than the Revolution.
I have seen the Freedom 3-9 scopes sell for as little as $150 in the 'campfire classifieds, you may try a WTB here, I am thinking you can end up with one for under $200 if you are patient.

p.s. - the Freedom is available in a 2-7 also but it has a shorter tube length so depending on the action it is to be mounted on you could end up with a challenge in that direction.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not really pushing one or the other but I did get some trigger time with a redfield revolution last fall when a friend needed help zeroing his Enfield 303 spotter. I suggested we manually bore sight only to learn we had no idea how to remove the Enfield bolt. So we shot several rounds at 25 yards, measured, did the conversion math, made adjustments on each till we were good at 25 yds. Then moved it out to 100 yds and within 3 or 4 shots he was good to go.

I was impressed with how well the scope tracked the adjustments....seemed adjust true to specs.

I was also amazed how well the gun grouped despite not allowing the barrel to cool, and this all occurred in the middle of a very warm day. I gained respect for that redfield scope though.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I’ve got revolutions and leupold, both.
Leupold tech folks will tell you that the revolution compares More-so with the vx2, not the vx1.

I agree with them.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have several of both L and R. No complaints with either.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have the same Redfield on a 700 .270.

Rugged, easy to see through with large pronounced reticle.

He'll hit whatever he's aiming at once you sight it in.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Freedom’s twilight coating really works

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Leupold, no contest. I'm thinking that the Revolution was introduced about 10 or 12 years ago. At the time it was simply a Leupold VX-1 with different badges on it. And since it sold for a little less was a lot of scope for the money. I've had a couple and can't complain. They aren't a bad scope at all, but the new VX-Freedom is simply better.

The Redfield is the same scope today that was introduced 12 years ago. Leupold has upgraded their lineup a couple of times since then and the new VX-Freedom is basically a replacement for the now discontinued VX-2.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two of the RR 2-7x.

One on a 45-70 Marlin and it’s stood up to 10 years of full-house loads, never requiring a re-zero. It’s been dropped and bumped a lot too.

The other on a little 223 RAR Compact.

Very happy with both of them.

Also have a 3-9x40 and a 4-12x40 on a 30-06 and 308 respectively. They’ve been similarly good. Three out of the four I picked up secondhand.

Can’t comment on the Freedom but 4x happy with the Redfields!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer the lower profile caps of the Redfield. I can't tell much difference in the glass between the two, but the Freedom definitely has taller turrets and more right angles than the sleeker Redfield. Not a big deal or difference, but it is there.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
E
E
I own both, they are both rugged and there's no complaints about either

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
294 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.