Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Just got a ATI Imported commercial Mauser and want to finish the stock nicer than it it. I've been googleing and can't get a clear answer. What oil do I want to use to finish it? Regular Linseed, Tru Oil? Not looking for presentation grade, just want it to look nice.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Chumley,

Try LMF Permalyn sealer https://www.laurelmountainforge.com/sealer_instruction.htm. Follow the instructions to seal the stock and then finish it with Tru Oil for a nice, very durable finish.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Dont use BLO (boiled linseed oil), it darkens as it oxidizes in the wood. I prefer pure tung oil thinned with turpentine. Not the various "tung oil finishes" which have little or no tung oil in them. Another option is polymerized tung oil from Sutherland Welles.
Everyone has their own preferred recipe and technique for oil finishes.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Two current favorites are GB Linspeed and Formby's Tung Oil, both are easy to apply and fast drying. Most stocks that I refinish are pre'64 Winchester M/70's, these finishes closely duplicate the look of original finish.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Whatever oil you use, for pete's sake finish the project with a good paste wax so the wood has at least a modicum of protection from water fenestration. Oil looks good, and duplicates old factory and gov't arsenal finishes, but is the worst for truly effective weather protection.

Remember the factories used oil because it was cheap not because it was best. The gov't doubly so, plus what did the Army care if a stock didn't survive? They would just slap a new one on and call it a day.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Remember the factories used oil because it was cheap not because it was best. .

Worth remembering. Back in the day, those folks didn't begin to think that they were producing guns destined to become collectors' items, special orders aside. In business to make a profit selling a product that their customers would pay a reasonable price for. Winchesters, Colts, who knew?

Oliver Winchester was a shirt maker, a businessman.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I finished my stock several years ago with Minwax antique oil finish and it has held up really well and looked pretty awesome. Was pretty easy to hand rub on also. I wet sanded the first few coats on and then finished the last few with light dry sanding between coats.

Last edited by AMoore141; 05/15/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, it's apparent I'm outnumbered here but my two cents' worth- if you want it to still look like a military stock, use any of the suggestions above and you can probably achieve that. If you want it to look a bit more glossy and upgraded IMO, use Truoil on the stock. If the stock is in poor shape, sand it down or strip it before starting so you have a good surface to start with, and put it on according to directions. If it is too glossy after about 6-8 thin coats, let it cure about 30 days and knock down the shine with rottenstone or stock rubbing compound until it has the right sheen for your taste.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That sounds good too. Home made Truoil: cut some straight oil (BLO or tung, doesn't matter one bit) with a touch of spar varnish. Same effect. Follow it up with wax too.

True story. An old friend was an Army artificer in WWII (predecessor of today's battalion level armorer). Prewar when he trained, part of the training involved "field trips" to Springfield Armory. When he witnessed stocks being soaked en masse in vats of oil he asked a worker what oil he used, tung or linseed. The reply was whatever kind that the procurement officer got a good deal on.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i like to use tru-oil too about 5 coats ,with lightly steel wool after each coat dry`s then wipe down with a damp clean rag.last coat steel wool lightly again,wet rag wipe,then use a good polish rubbed in ,let dry well then with a clean dry rag wipe it down clean.should end up with a great looking satin finish. i have purchased a new BLR 7 mag Browning that has a high gloss yes its pretty but just to shiny for hunting for me i plan on making it a satin finish too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sheister
Well, it's apparent I'm outnumbered here but my two cents' worth- if you want it to still look like a military stock, use any of the suggestions above and you can probably achieve that. If you want it to look a bit more glossy and upgraded IMO, use Truoil on the stock. If the stock is in poor shape, sand it down or strip it before starting so you have a good surface to start with, and put it on according to directions. If it is too glossy after about 6-8 thin coats, let it cure about 30 days and knock down the shine with rottenstone or stock rubbing compound until it has the right sheen for your taste.

Bob

Only comment to add is the sanding suggestion... don't. Sanding removes wood, why do that?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pete53
i like to use tru-oil too about 5 coats ,with lightly steel wool after each coat dry`s then wipe down with a damp clean rag.last coat steel wool lightly again,wet rag wipe,then use a good polish rubbed in ,let dry well then with a clean dry rag wipe it down clean.should end up with a great looking satin finish. i have purchased a new BLR 7 mag Browning that has a high gloss yes its pretty but just to shiny for hunting for me i plan on making it a satin finish too.

Do yourself a favor, lose the steel wool and find a maroon Norton Bear-Tex pad...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
What Sitka sez. Forget the sanding and steel wool. The steel wool will leave little metal pieces in the wood. I learned that the hard way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Sheister

Bob

Only comment to add is the sanding suggestion... don't. Sanding removes wood, why do that?

Only couple reasons for the sanding is once you strip finish off the wood, it needs to be sanded to knock down the raised grain like a fresh stock- sometimes. And , what I've found several times doing this is that once your strip the finish there is sometimes finish left in the pores that is a bear to get out and will often show in the finished product as a different color, or a shiny spot under your finish, or may or may not be compatible with the finish you intend to apply. A small amount of sanding will remove these small spots and will leave a good, smooth finish to apply the new finish on...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What i do is seal with spar or poly varnish and then apply whatever finish you have after sanding down to bare wood. This can be a mix of oil and varnish, Dalys Steel fin, Permalyn, Formbys Teak Oil ( no teak oil in it), Custom Classic oil, Tru Oil, Lin Speed, etc. or your own mix.

I would be tempted to go more traditional and seal then use a mix of varnish and oil.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Used wipe on poly on a couple of SKSs. Kept the original dents and dings and finished beautifully.

BTW, Sitka is wrong about the steel wool...he just may not know how to use it properly. He probably enjoys learning new things.

Several coats of old school paste floor wax and/or Renaissance Wax to finish.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Used wipe on poly on a couple of SKSs. Kept the original dents and dings and finished beautifully.

BTW, Sitka is wrong about the steel wool...he just may not know how to use it properly. He probably enjoys learning new things.

Actually, most finishers and stockmakers these days have learned the lesson of using steel wool on wood finishes. Too much opportunity for moisture to penetrate the finish and rust the steel wool fibers stuck in the wood fibers under the finish- especially with the cheap steel wool we get from China these days. Better alternative to use 3M pads designed for the purpose that can't rust and will do the same job and sometimes do a much better job of it. IMO, this is just one of those old time practices that won't die until old timers are gone or they are shown evidence of why steel wool is such a bad idea. I've seen stocks where the steel wool underneath has rusted (on a very expensive stock) and once you see it, you can't miss it the next time....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Steel wool stays in the wood and shows up on light colored stocks like birch. Sitka deer is correct, imho. Mel

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Many times I have shown people how to prove me wrong on steel wool. Many tried, none came close.

Feel free to humor us and describe the magic cure for Physics.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on Scotch-brite pads, been using them for years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 72 invisible), 3,541 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.