Print Thread
Hop To
W
win7stw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Is Dupont PBSS the same thing as IMR PB? I will try to call Hodgdon today if I have time.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
DuPont divested themselves of their powder and explosive lines in the 1970s and 1980s so, if it says "doPont" on the can it is a good 35 years old or older. The can should also be metal rather than plastic for that era. The powders usually came in 1/2 pound, 4 pound, 12 pound, and 25 pound canisters rather than 1 pound canisters. There were 8 pound kegs at one time but I can't remember if before or after the sale.

After looking through several sources going back to the 1940s, I suspect this is some surplus, over run, or pull down powder that was packaged and sold to the public. I've seen a fair amount of it over the years and occasionally it was labeled similar to the standard canister grade powders. Most of the time it had a different number but that also tended to be military surplus or pull down and labeled under the manufacturer's numbering system rather than the shelf name. Load data often came with the powder though it was very limited in scope. If one could match the manufacturer's number to the shelf name one could substitute with out issues.

I'd wager this is very similar to PB canister powder. Hodgdon might be able to give some advice but there is a good chance they have no better idea than anyone else as this pre-dates their involvement with IMR powders. One might do better with the bullet companies as they might have run across it or at least have some institutional memory of it.

W
win7stw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks, I haven't seen the keg yet so I will post a picture when I get it. This is a 12lb metal keg, and I am pretty sure it says Dupont on it.

If and when I get it I will load some shells and send them off to be tested.

W
win7stw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by win7stw; 05/05/20.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As I understand lot codes, the keg pictured was made on May 10, 1973. One source I've seen would say it was made by B shift on that day but other sources have been silent on the end letter.

I would use it with PB data without much concern, but then I would probably use it for lighter loads in both shot and powder charges.

Or, you could offer it for sale. It's a good bet that at least one of the three shooters still using PB when it was discontinued is still alive and would be willing to buy it for "big bucks". 😃 You could have a bidding war if two of them are still alive!

IC B2

W
win7stw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Hodgdon says they have never heard of it and it should be disposed of. Not a chance on that. I will use it up, I also found 3 five pound cans of PB for sale I might have to buy

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
"Should be disposed of," I know how I would accomplish that suggestion! As there was at least one owner between DuPont selling off the powder division and Hodgdon acquiring it, it makes sense Hodgdon made that suggestion as the powder in question pre-dates Hodgdon's involvement by a couple of decades at least. I would have made the same suggestion if in their shoes.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
"Should be disposed of," I know how I would accomplish that suggestion! As there was at least one owner between DuPont selling off the powder division and Hodgdon acquiring it, it makes sense Hodgdon made that suggestion as the powder in question pre-dates Hodgdon's involvement by a couple of decades at least. I would have made the same suggestion if in their shoes.

W
win7stw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
So I found out on a different forum that this powder is the same as PB. Should be set for shotgun powder for awhile now

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
PB is great for 10ga loads.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
257 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 25 invisible), 1,717 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.