Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hello Campers. I require some help on deciding which gun to buy and thought some of you might be able to help out.
I've been after a light, fast handling and reasonably hard hitting rifle for deer and boar in the woods for a while now.
Originally, I had a Winchester 71 .348 in mind, fitted with a Williams peep sight and when a Browning 71 carbine with a peep sight showed up on eGun I thought it was my time to strike.
Needless to say I wasn't successful in my effort to win the auction. Then a Winchester 94 Big Bore in caliber .356 Winchester caught my eye and a little later I found another Browning 71, this one a rifle.

Now I am here and looking for some advice on this situation. I'll lay out the facts as I see them:

Browning 71:
- New in box
- Caliber .348 Win.
- Open iron sights
- 24" barrel
- Drilled and tapped for receiver peep sight
- No safety
- 995,-€

Winchester 94
- Like new, barely used
- Caliber .356 Winchester
- Open iron sights
- 20" barrel carbine
- No safety
- Angle Eject model, drilled and tapped for scope mount
- Comes with reloading dies, cases and 75 rounds of ammo
- 1235,-€

Which one would you recommend and why? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Respectfully - Neither... get a 30-30 lever action. Killed TONS of deer and hogs with it.
Cheaper
More available ammo
Same range with iron sights as what you asked about

Edit... I have had 71's and like them for VERY HEAVY work... elk, moose water buffalo etc... thy are OVERKILL and heavy for deer and hogs.

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 05/16/20.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
The Model 94 will come closer to meeting your criteria of "light & fast handling". I love my Model 71 rifle, but it's not as light and handy as my 94 carbines. Ballistics between the two are negligible, but .358" bullets may be easier to find than .348". I don't know what the firearms market is in Germany, but it would seem that's a pretty good price on the 71. The 94 may be priced a tad high but comes with a few extras. It's a tossup, best solution would be buy both!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Between those two I would jump on the Browning 71 but that's just me and my preferences.

You can put a scope on the 94.

The 94 is a handier rifle and the difference between the two cartridges is minimal.

How easy is it for you to find brass for either? At present, I can find both here in the USA but sometimes it can be challenging unless you are willing to pay a premium on an auction site. With either, I would suggest that you stock up when you can because quite a while might pass between production runs.

I have been looking for an AE in 356 Winchester for quite a while but they are usually overpriced, IMO. Original Winchester 71s that are in good shape are always overpriced (again, just my opinion). That looks like a good price on the Browning.

I don't think you can go wrong with either though the 71 would be my choice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d go 71. Those Brownings are nice!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have both and the 94 is definitely lighter. I live in Alaska and my .348 is being turned into a .348 Ackley Improved so I can toss 250 grain bullets at close to 2,500 fps mv for big moose and big bears. For what you want the .356 Win. and 220 grain Speer flat nose should work and you could always load the Hornady Flex Tip for deer. I prefer a pistol grip stock on my lever action rifles and believe they handle recoil better, my Big Bore .356 Win. has a straight stock.

Since I load my own ammo there is nothing either can do I can't do with my wonderful Marlin 1895 in 45-70. Marlin hit a home run with that model in that caliber and it is a hand loaders dream for components and every body makes ammo for it. You can scope it, red dot sight it or peep sight it and it is much easier to break down for cleaning.

Although I have never owned one I believe the Browning BLR in .358 Winchester is a good idea, especially a take down light weight version , with the pistol grip stock of course.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a 71 guy.
Love the 348. Either Browning or a vintage Winchester for me.
Enjoy!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both as well. I like both but IMO, the 71 is a better rifle while the 94 is lighter and handier. My 71 shoots the 200 Barnes X and Hornady along with the 250 Barnes well. My 94 shoots the 200 Hornady RN and 180 Speer very well. Given the choice, I'd take the Browning.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The OP is looking for a "light fast handling" rifle. If I remember right, my old 71 was neither of those things. I carried it elk hunting and it was pretty dang heavy for a lever gun. The 94's are much lighter and quicker handling. I'd also opt for a good 30-30, for some of the reasons already given, over the 356.... That would be the "no brainer" approach. IE: Best option. If the OP is truly a rifle "loony", he'd be buying both of the rifles he's asking about. What he's got here is really a catch 22...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My first question would be if you need the scope or not....The 94 Big Bore can be fitted with a scope or peep sights. The Model 71 only has the option for the peep sight.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
First off I'd like to thank you all for the numerous replies! I think I have made up my mind to go with the Model 71.
Not for any particular reason, mostly the reason that I just like the looks of it better and think I can handle the bigger rifle as I'm a fairly big guy. That and it's just the better deal.
There probably lies a '94 in my future and thanks to this thread I know it'll be a .30-30 (Although it's technically not permitted for boar here).
Neither cases nor bullets should be a big problem. I found more options for sale here than I expected. Now I'll just have to go through with getting my handloading license and I'll be all set for winter drive hunting season.

Originally Posted by WStrayer
My first question would be if you need the scope or not....The 94 Big Bore can be fitted with a scope or peep sights. The Model 71 only has the option for the peep sight.

My dad bought an 1895 Marlin in .45-70 in the 70s, it has a 3-9x on it. It might be worth it to try and revive that gun with some economical training hand loads. After all it was the gun that gave me the lever bug wink

Don't tread on me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could knock a few inches off the barrel and ditch the rear site. Mount a reflex site in the dovetail.

It’d be hot ass for driven pigs!

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd agree with MM above, since it's a reproduction and not an original, I would shorten the barrel to carbine length (20"). That would give you a handier and quicker handling rifle. I'd probably put a Lyman receiver sight on it but the receiver mounted red dot would be quick into action. I think someone on the forum has one set up like this.

[Linked Image from turnbullrestoration.com]

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I believe that is Turnbull’s mount

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

Charter Member

szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He also has one for the 1894 that fits in the rear dovetail. No extra holes. Not sure how different a M71 is but I’d prefer not to drill extra holes, even a repo.

Been wanting to put one on my 30-30. Seems like a fun and handy set up.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Browning M71s are drilled and tapped for receiver sights. Not sure the 94/92 barrel dovetail mount would work on the 71 barrel contour?

Charter Member

szihn

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've been on a number of those drive hunts back when I was stationed there years ago. Both guns are more than adequate but cool points are given to any gun chambered in 348 Win. Ammo availability as well as reloading supplies may be difficult. Maybe Frankonia would be able to get you components.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hello again, after a lot of back and forth with my local government, I think I might actually be on track to become a real handloader.
With this perspective I went out this weekend and picked up my .348 Winchester, the Model 71 Browning. Reads "Morgan, Utah" on the side, so this one might not be a Miroku.
Also handled one of those new Miroku Winchester 94AEs in .30-30 with that tang safety. A nice little gun, but for now the 71 is my absolute favorite. Although that .30-30 made a wicked noise when working the lever wink
Now I'll just have to get my hands on one of those Lyman sights and the reloading components so I'm fairly confident this one will be dropping boars this winter. I found a nice feller at the shooting club who said he'll show me through the reloading process.
Anyways, here's my beautiful new rifle laugh :
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Don't tread on me

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
You won't regret that choice. A few custom loaders in the states make some good ammo for it. I shoot choice ammo out of my original 71. Would love to try a miroku sometime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

599 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,207 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,304
Posts18,449,089
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.