Print Thread
Hop To
M
Muffin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Would appreciate any thoughts on the Rifle and the caliber....

LGS has one available............. nice 'looking' rifle!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got the LH model. I like it. Used it to take an AK grizzly & a cape buffalo over in South Africa. It's a little light---I put on a slip on recoil pad over the thin factory red recoil pad. That helped a lot.

M
Muffin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
LGS wants $750 for it, has brake, and I assume the weight and thread cap.........

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Where ya been the last 13 years?

The way life should be.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I really like the round, a standard length 375 @ 2,660 fps.

I own two Ruger African 375 rugers, but they have no muzzle break, and they have the barrel band sling swivel.

In my mind, these were the best ones Ruger made/offered.

Too bad they dropped all of the good qualities on the newer ones.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by muffin
Would appreciate any thoughts on the Rifle and the caliber....

LGS has one available............. nice 'looking' rifle!

I have had my Ruger Hawkeye African for about 10 years now, and really like it. It has no muzzle brake, I don't think there is any real reason for one on this cartridge. I have taken it to Argentina for Asian Water Buffalo, to Texas for Nilgai, and then off to Africa for Black Wildebeest, Sable, and Lion.
The only problem I had with the rifle was with the stock splitting early on, at the tang area and also in the cutout area for the trigger mechanism. I ended up stocking it in a Mcmillan McWoody with magnum fill, with no problems since then.
I handload Barnes TSX 270 gr. bullets at 2800 fps, and TTSX 250 grainers at 2880 fps, both of which shoot very accurately.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The 375 Ruger cartridge is definitely the 375 that I use the most for moose hunting.
I have the 20" barrel verisions without the brake. And one re-barreled to 23.5". I replaced the Hogue stocks with McMillan's and H-S Precisions.
I use the 270 grain TSX bullets. I really like the cartridge.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I have the Ruger Alaskan model and a Custom Mauser rifle with a 24" barrel. I sat on the fence for a few years reading reviews on the 375 Ruger before switching. Several years later I am sold on this cartridge.

The Ruger Alaskan is just about perfect. The stock is handy and allows for fast pointing. The action is ultra-smooth, unlike other Ruger 77's I have. No muzzle break and it does not need one for hunting.

Such a fine rifle to have a cast, screw on rear sight base.

All I did to make this rifle perfect was replaced the rear sight with a solid steel rear base and fold-down leaf. I keep a NECG N-100 QD rear Peep sight in the sling pouch for the rear Ruger integral sight base, and I have a QD EER Swaro Z6 1x6 on it with the #24 circle reticle. I have also had a 1.5 x 6 S&B on it with a number #1 reticle. The number 1 is not as handy as the Swaro #24 IMO.

I could not be happier.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have just purchased another Ruger 375, but this time it's a SS/black Laminate, with no muzzle brake, barrel sling swivel, all matt SS finish including the bolt. A beautiful looking rifle. Been looking for this model for some time now.

I have taken it to the range and shot a 3/4" group @ 100 yds. on two different days, with Swift factory ammo 300 gr. SAF.

REALLY like this cartridge, and the rifles.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Better bed stock Rugers will break stocks on hard kickers. Even in laminate.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by surefire7
I have just purchased another Ruger 375, but this time it's a SS/black Laminate, with no muzzle brake, barrel sling swivel, all matt SS finish including the bolt. A beautiful looking rifle. Been looking for this model for some time now.

I have taken it to the range and shot a 3/4" group @ 100 yds. on two different days, with Swift factory ammo 300 gr. SAF.

REALLY like this cartridge, and the rifles.

Got the same one shoots good, recoil not bad, but as kk above said I had mine bedded just in case because might be hard to replace that stock with same should it crack.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Thanks guys for the advice on the bedding job.

I would have thought the risk of a crack on a laminate stock would have been very slim to none.

Glad to have this community to share experiences. 👍.

R
R
I have a Ruger Alaskan in .375 Ruger it is short and handy. You can screw the muzzle brake on and off but I like it off because you really don't need it. I used it on a Nilgai bull in
Texas with a 250 gr. Hornady GMX he was DRT. I have a Leupold patrol VX 3 3x9 on it with an illuminated dot perfect for dark animals like Nilgai. My shot on the Nilgai was a touch over 200 yards so this round has plenty of reach for hunting the kind of game that calls for that caliber. I was able to bed mine even though i had a Hogue stock there was a bedding block in it. I get all of my wood and laminate rifles bedded especially the heavy hitters.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
J
I have an early pre barrel band African and a Alaskan pre muzzle junk in a Micky ( thanks Rick).
One moose each and I drew a great tag for this year.
260 accubombs on first one at 21 ft.
300 Partitions last year. 35 yds.
I have 300 A frames or some 270 Failsafes or 260 Partitions or ... maybe use what's left of the 300 Partition and H4831 load from last year?
300 Partitions at 2600 tend to overpenetrate. cool
I have also had great luck with Lyman 375-449 both lubed and powder coated. 5744 is your friend.
3-9×40 Conquest #4 or 4×32 Conquest plex have enough eye relief for me. VXIII 3.5-10×40 not so much.
Busted a Minox.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by razorwire
I have a Ruger Alaskan in .375 Ruger it is short and handy. You can screw the muzzle brake on and off but I like it off because you really don't need it. I used it on a Nilgai bull in
Texas with a 250 gr. Hornady GMX he was DRT. I have a Leupold patrol VX 3 3x9 on it with an illuminated dot perfect for dark animals like Nilgai. My shot on the Nilgai was a touch over 200 yards so this round has plenty of reach for hunting the kind of game that calls for that caliber. I was able to bed mine even though i had a Hogue stock there was a bedding block in it. I get all of my wood and laminate rifles bedded especially the heavy hitters.

Muzzle “junk”??? memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't see where anyone had jumped in to say how much better the 378 Weatherby is 😏😳

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Hawkeye is in 338 RCM, so this is not totally in line with your question. However I love this rifle. It has great balance and the look of it is just perfect. It sighted in with no muss or fuss, and the accuracy is fine for hunting. I bought it here off the Campfire for $400.00!

I have no issues with any of my Rugers.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.