Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Been on-again, off-again thinking of getting an AR15 for quite a while now, and decided to get serious. This will be used for range fun and general plinking. Thinking a lighter weight 16", with accuracy a main priority, and soft shooting. Budget is $1500-1800. Would I be better off buying or building? Any recommendations for parts if building or brand/model for complete guns? Finally, is an adjustable gas block preferred for lighter recoil? Any advice is appreciated. Also, as another option might be able to get a Noveske Gen 3 Recon 16 with very light usage for $1800. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn’t pay $1800 for a new Noveske.

Adjustable gas isn’t necessary for a soft shooting AR but makes things a little easier.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't think I'd pay $1,800.00 for a new Noveske either. I can pretty much guarantee mine will outshoot that 16" Recon with iron sights and do it with a lot softer recoil and muzzle blast. Rifle length gas system and 20" barrel is where that is at baby...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wouldn't go that far BSA, all of mine are 16" guns and though I might pick up a 20" barrel sometime, carbines rule!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Buy a Rock River, have money for scope and mount for that much. Both of mine will shoot dime size groups. Both are varmint models.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I'll check out the Rock River offerings, and guess I'll probably pass on the Noveske. What about building vs buying a complete gun? Could I build and achieve my needs pretty easily, using something like an Aero Precision upper & lower with a quality barrel & trigger? Is the only downside the resale value of a DIY gun, assuming it's easier to resell a name brand versus a DIY gun?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Might want to ask BSA how Stag did in the Black Rifle Challenge:

https://www.stagarms.com/stag-15/stag-15-firearms/stag-15-rifles/stag-15-tactical-rifle-16-in/

Watch your sales, for $1800 you can have the above rifle and a quality 1-6 scope.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Stag lower and white oak armament upper

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There’s nothing wrong with getting an FN, Colt or an LMT as your first and last necessary rifle. I’ve had a few of each, and am hanging my hat on LMT in 5.56 and 308.

Recoilgunworks.com has police turn in LMT defenders in 5.56 at a good price.

Spend the remainder on a used SWFA 1-6 HD scope and be done with it.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Esox357

I second the WOA upper...

I have their 18" SPR...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by Esox357

I second the WOA upper...

I have their 18" SPR...

Does White Oak make anything "light weight"?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by David_Walter

There's not one police trade-in firearm available on that site. Everything is "Out of Stock".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I'm building a high-end AR with all 100% top shelf parts, it's going to cost me in the $16-$1800 dollar range..................just sayin'. Today, there are few, if any real "sales" of the best stuff, so right now, it would likely be toward the higher number.

Can you build a "good" AR for less, sure, but there will be some compromises on various parts that don't equal top shelf.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes they do, depending on how light your tryint to go? You can build a 18 spr or 3 gun match rifle. I did sdm with flutes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get emails once a week, and every few weeks they have LMTs. Lots of SIGs at the moment.

Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by David_Walter

There's not one police trade-in firearm available on that site. Everything is "Out of Stock".

Last edited by David_Walter; 05/15/20.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’d buy an FN M-4 Carbine.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktails
This will be used for range fun and general plinking. Thinking a lighter weight 16", with accuracy a main priority, and soft shooting.

I think you need to define how much accuracy you want.

The advice you're getting is all over the place.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My first was a Stag, I bought a stripped lower and a rifle kit (everything but the stripped lower). I learned to assemble a lower and just pinned on the completed upper. Then I was shooting!
Buy a first quality AR, since you have a healthy budget- Colt, BCM, LMT, Daniel Defense, Sionics. Don't be afraid to change things like grips, butt stocks, slings, triggers- but if you start w/ good bones you won't need to change out a barrel or a bolt carrier group. Learn what you like and know why you make equipment changes.
That is really the argument for not building your first. Building should be an exercise in choosing compatible parts with a clear vision of the finished product, where everything has a reason/ purpose and contributes to the whole.
My Stag was my least expensive AR to purchase and my most expensive to own- because every new part went there first. When I started building, my favorite components either moved to the new build or were duplicated on that build. Each successive build was unique and achieved what I wanted, and I still am happy w/ them.
To summarize- buy a quality AR now (and a case of quality ammo, a weapon light, a red dot or scope, and a sling), build later if you want to.
Have fun w/ your choices!

Last edited by Sagewind; 05/15/20. Reason: clarity

Most of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout steams and above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be part of them, forever
- Earnest Hemingway, Idaho- 1939
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I’d buy an FN M-4 Carbine.

Good choice. Have your dealer call RSR. They have the Tac Carbine wholesale for $1072 and the SRP Tac for $935...both in stock at this time.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have 2 of their light weight chrome lined barrels and they shoot really well for what they are. Smooth shooting as well, add optic and start doing everything a carbine was made to do. They might not be match grade accurate but both of mine are 1.5 MOA shooters.
http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/sto...rward_controls_design_upgrade_package-no

Last edited by TWR; 05/16/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.