Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by hikerbum
somebody will come up with a 7mm, or 6.5, or .308, or 6mm, whizbang flipsumhammer in the next year or two and then everyone will be wondering what happened to the 6.5CM.

I will keep my 30-06, .270, and 300 Savage for my big game rifles. Plenty of ammo in the stores and gun shows i frequent. For small game, varmints my .222 or 22 mag's will do all i need.

You guys must go to stores that only sell the latest wonder ammo rather than tried and true hunting ammo.

My thought exactly.

Last edited by Filaman; 05/15/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
good grief...
Agreed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
good grief...
Agreed.

laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Filaman
[quote=colorado87]I'm not asking if 7mm-08 is a good cartridge or an effective one. I'm pretty convinced that it is. I'm thinking about its future in light of the 6.5 Creedmoor. For someone who doesn't reload, I'm not sure what the 7mm-08 offers that the 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't offer with more ammo availability. I'm only guessing, but it seems like the 7mm-08 section at Cabela's and Scheels is getting smaller and smaller by the year.

What does the 7mm-08 provide that the 6.5CM doesn’t? Heavier bullets for larger game. For the factory ammo shooter, finding ammo loaded with the heavies can be an issue, though. Most factory ammo is 140g and under.

What does the 6.5CM offer? Far more choices for factory ammo and rifles. Midwayusa lists 83 different types of factory ammo for the 6.5CM versus 30 types for the 7mm-08. Plinking ammo for the 6.5CM starts at $13.99/box , ammo for the 7mm-08 at %17.99/box. Hunting ammo starts at $15.99 vs $23.99 respectively. Options for premium bullets are about the same for both. Most rifle manufacturers offer a variety of options for the 6.5CM with 7mm-08 options much more limited. Ruger lists 29 rifles in 6.5CM, 6 in 7mm-08. Savage lists 57 and 34 respectively. Kimber offers far more 6.5CM options than 7mm-08.

From a predominately target use perspective, I think the 6.5CM is a hands down winner. From a predominately hunting perspective, use a microscope to find the differences.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

From a predominately target use perspective, I think the 6.5CM is a hands down winner. From a predominately hunting perspective, use a microscope to find the differences.

Had to pick between the two this week (in a Remington 700 platform) and decided on the 7mm-08 mostly because the rifle was stainless, but what you just said was also a big part of it.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We on the fire excel at finding, discussing, and cussing microscopic differences!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Filaman

This is my second response to this thread. I think the immense popularity of the Crudmoor is a fad thing. It's probably here to stay and I can see it is a very useful round, I just doubt it's really better than some older cartridges. I think a lot of its popularity is largely due to market hype. It answered one particular question or rather resolved one issue. It allows bullets to be seated out farther than does a .260 Remington and that only in a short action like the Remington 700 Short Action. If you build one on an intermediate or long action you can get more performance out of the .260. Does it really have that many more bullet choices? And how many different bullets do you need? This was one argument against the .270 up until a few years back. Now there's plenty of bullets available for it. Also, the 7mm-08 has as many I believe. And as I said, How many bullets do you need? Even back in the 80s and 90s I hunted with the .270 and only needed a couple of weights. Sometimes I think that bullet availability argument is over blown for argument sake.

The popularity of the 6.5 Creedmoor is long past the “fad” stage.

The 6.5CM solved more than one issue. As you point out, it allows bullets to be seated further out. Equally, and actually more important IMHO, the tight chamber and ammo specs and fast 1-8 twist created a combo that shoots very well with factory ammo and heavy-for-caliber bullets with reduced recoil. Lower pressure also extends barrel life. It is an outstanding target round that does very well in the field as well. If you have a 6.5CM there is very little reason to get a 7mm-08 for hunting, whether you handload or not.

Although similar bullet types are available for both cartridges, there are far more factory options for the 6.5CM (83 vs. 30 at midwayusa.com). Same thing with rifle options – there are far more for the 6.5CM, especially in configurations for long range shooting. What I found on a quick 6.5CM vs. 7mm-08 search was 23 to 6 7mm-08 for Ruger, 57 to 30 for Savage, and similar ratios for Kimber and Tikka.

For someone that handloads or decides to buy a custom rifle, factory configuration, twist rates and chamber spec options are far less of a concern. They represent a very tiny fraction of total buyers.

For a multipurpose target/varmint/big game rifle, the 6.5CM is the easy choice. For varmint bullets the 6.5 offers 95g V-MAX bullets with a B.C. of .365 and you can push them to 3371fps per Hogdgon. To get that high a BC in a 7mm varmint bullet you need to go to 120g V-MAX and you only get to around 3200fps. The 7mm-08 needs more powder and a heavier bullet, has more recoil as a result, and falls short ballistically.

For big game hunting the story is much the same. To get the same .625 B.C value of a 143g 6.5mm ELD-X you have to go to a 162g 7mm ELD-X. Again you will burn more powder for lower velocity. The 162g might be a better choice for large deer or elk and up, but for most purposes 6.5 will get the job done just as well. When it comes to the 175g 7mm bullets, you lose even more velocity and have much lower B.C values for bullets suitable for the 7mm-08 standard 1-9.25 twist rate. For the high B.C 175g bullets a 1-8.5 twist or faster is recommended. Finding a 1-8.5 twist 7mm-08 limits factory options.

Both are fine cartridges. If you have one you have little need for the other. For those with neither, the 6.5CM makes the most sense most of the time.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
good grief...

I get it. You're apparently not an engineer type, and that's OK. Some people can discuss sports teams all day and that's fine by me. I find such talk even more boring than watching sporting events - a difficult feat of achievement..

Different strokes.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Both are fine cartridges. If you have one you have little need for the other. For those with neither, the 6.5CM makes the most sense most of the time.

Only if you have all of the matching attire to go with the 6.5CM.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Before anyone starts jumping up and down and throwing a fit, I've owned a Ruger 77 Stainless Synthetic 6.5 CM since just after the time when they first became available. I shot it some and found it to be a good, accurate cartridge, but since I'm mostly a hunter, it offered nothing extra for me and my needs. Now it sits in a gun safe most of the time. I grab either my Model 70 FW 7MM-08 or my Sako 6.5x55 Swede rifles far more when its time to go hunting. And I don't grab either of them because of the rifles alone. Both of those cartridges serve me and my needs very well. JMO.........

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Smokeless powder was once a passing “fad”, too.

I have 7-08 and 6.5 CM rifles with premium barrels.

Having the choice, I don’t need to get into an either/or argument. I just use both.

Dead critters can’t tell the difference, no complaints so far.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having the choice, I don’t need to get into an either/or argument. I just use both

I bet you grab the one with a stock that fits you best and snuggles up to your cheek like a schools marms tit and says where you been all my life. Probably not much thought on hey, it's a Creedmoor. Lol. This describes one of my 7mm08's. Full confidence in it every time out.

Last edited by 7_08FAN; 05/16/20.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nm...

Last edited by Brad; 05/16/20.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
CSBfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Well I feel like my question was answered by this thread, thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Hastings
She doesn't like recoil and wanted to hunt with my Weatherby Vanguard 2 in .223. My neighbor friend has an AR in 6.5 Grendel and with a 120 to 135 grain bullet it seems almost if not equal to .308W with 150 grain bullets in trajectory. Kills hogs very well with a 129 Nosler LRAB. Very low recoil and she isn't likely to shoot over 250 yards. The light recoil is why I recommended it. Besides that we are set up to reload that caliber and I let my cousin have the Creedmoor dies.

For that application the .257 Roberts comes to mind.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
She doesn't like recoil and wanted to hunt with my Weatherby Vanguard 2 in .223. My neighbor friend has an AR in 6.5 Grendel and with a 120 to 135 grain bullet it seems almost if not equal to .308W with 150 grain bullets in trajectory. Kills hogs very well with a 129 Nosler LRAB. Very low recoil and she isn't likely to shoot over 250 yards. The light recoil is why I recommended it. Besides that we are set up to reload that caliber and I let my cousin have the Creedmoor dies.

And a Hawkeye sure would be a slim, trim little rifle to put it in if one wanted to go that way smile

Bit too much of a large simian for it myself but a lot of newer shooters have liked mine (not in 257 Bob sadly)

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Igloo
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

And a Hawkeye sure would be a slim, trim little rifle to put it in if one wanted to go that way smile

Bit too much of a large simian for it myself but a lot of newer shooters have liked mine (not in 257 Bob sadly)

Another “obscure” round that’s not going anywhere, performs way above its weight class.

Have one of those, too.

DF

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yes, I think it is at least in terms of retail sales.
It will still be around but very much not the front runner.
6.5Creedmoor does the same thing with way more options available in terms of guns and ammo.

The tiny local gun shop to big regional/national chains have gotten behind 6.5Creedmoor.

Walk into the local Walmart and you're greeted with 4-6 different 6.5Creedmoor ammo options. You might get one 7MM08 option.
Walmart stocks what sells.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nm...

You nailed it however prior to edit....😁

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GregW
Nm...

You nailed it however prior to edit....😁

It was true, but unkind on my part... smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ok Brad, what did you say? grin I’m late to the party.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 73 invisible), 2,745 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.