Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Sat through the full hour and half replay. 20th year for the KY Elk Drawing. 20th year to make a donation and come up empty... frown

The Commissioner dropped a teaser that they were working on "something" like a point system for folks who apply every year, but are not drawn. However, would not give details. All he would say is something coming in the next few weeks. During last year's drawing, they claimed there were only 6 people who had applied every year and never been drawn. Which was a bald faced lie. I know that many people. This year they admitted that there were approximately 100 people who had applied each year and never been drawn. Headed in the right direction. However, betting still under estimated.

Curious to see what kind of remedy or strategy they come up with... AND, if the remedy will give credit for 20 years of previous donations ???

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Doesn’t matter. Governor and Comrade Breshear will have all the Kentucky Elk in full lock-down this Fall.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
No luck for me either. Maybe next time. ....

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was super lucky and was drawn for a firearm bull tag for the first week. Anyone have any guide suggestions?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just say no to a point system! Whether that be preference or bonus. The pure random draw is the fairest, simplest way to administer a draw.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by JSmith62198
I was super lucky and was drawn for a firearm bull tag for the first week. Anyone have any guide suggestions?

LMO - Lost Mountain Outfitter always got good reviews, and posted up nice "Hero Pictures" when I followed the KY Hunting forum on a regular basis. Not cheap. But seem to have good success rate.

Originally Posted by pointer
Just say no to a point system! Whether that be preference or bonus. The pure random draw is the fairest, simplest way to administer a draw.

As someone who has contributed to the KY Elk Draw every year for the past 20 years, generally contributing to EVERY OPTION for most of those 20 years, I strongly disagree...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

PM sent

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Me too! Not drawn, but I was drawn in 2010 for a cow firearm tag, so I can’t feel as bad as those who have never been drawn.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Orion2000
[quote=JSmith62198]I was super lucky and was drawn for a firearm bull tag for the first week. Anyone have any guide suggestions?

LMO - Lost Mountain Outfitter always got good reviews, and posted up nice "Hero Pictures" when I followed the KY Hunting forum on a regular basis. Not cheap. But seem to have good success rate.

I don’t mind paying if they have a good reputation and land access. I know it’s still hunting so nothing is guaranteed but I would like the odd to be as much in my favor as possible. It was like Christmas morning last night guest I saw the results so o stayed up looking at reviews and LMO seemed to be the best option. I am just wondering how expensive it will be.

Thanks,
J

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
... I don’t mind paying if they have a good reputation and land access. I know it’s still hunting so nothing is guaranteed but I would like the odd to be as much in my favor as possible. It was like Christmas morning last night guest I saw the results so o stayed up looking at reviews and LMO seemed to be the best option. I am just wondering how expensive it will be.

Thanks, J

"My understanding" there are private and public lands available in SE KY to hunt elk. However, the strip mine reclaims comprise much of the prime habitat. And the guide services have leased up most of the reclaims with the coal companies. Made up my mind long ago that if I ever got lucky and drew a KY Elk tag, I would spend the extra money on a guide service to ensure I had a reasonable chance at a representative animal.

LMO is not the only option. I am guessing not the low cost option. However they have (had?) a good rep on the KY Hunting forum for good success and easy to work with.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It seems they get the most mentions as well as Beaver Creek. I have seen it pop up multiple times. I plan to use a guide. It just makes the most sense with how hard it is to get a bull tag.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[quote=JSmith62198]I was super lucky and was drawn for a firearm bull tag for the first week. Anyone have any guide suggestions?

I don’t mind paying if they have a good reputation and land access. I know it’s still hunting so nothing is guaranteed but I would like the odd to be as much in my favor as possible.

Nothing wrong with that, it'll be a while before you get another chance.

The odds on drawing your elk tags sound about like the odds on our moose out here, Draw one, and thank your lucky stars. So, congratulations and good luck!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
It’s always funny how the celebs get to hunt KY. Meateater, the most popular outdoor show right now, got a tag given to him by RMEF and he shot a nice bull. Stated it on the show....RMEF gave him a bull tag. Ain’t life funny?

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Godogs57
It’s always funny how the celebs get to hunt KY. Meateater, the most popular outdoor show right now, got a tag given to him by RMEF and he shot a nice bull. Stated it on the show....RMEF gave him a bull tag. Ain’t life funny?

Since there wouldn't be elk in KY without RMEF, I'm not sure why you are gassed up about them getting a tag? I'm betting they can get one anytime they want.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Double edged sword, Timber runner.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I only apply for bull firearm. I’d love to get drawn. But I’m not losing sleep over it. I know enough “common people” with zero connections that have been drawn. So the thought that it’s rigged doesn’t really enter my mind. And if it is.....it is.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I am not connected to anyone, and have only applied for two years so I don’t think it’s rigged. But I’ve been wrong once before.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am not connected to anyone, and have only applied for two years so I don’t think it’s rigged. But I’ve been wrong once before.

Me too. It was back in '62........

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

As someone who has contributed to the KY Elk Draw every year for the past 20 years, generally contributing to EVERY OPTION for most of those 20 years, I strongly disagree...

I've read that their were something like 90K applicants for 600 tags. A points system, even a preference points system, would not improve your odds much an in no way would guarantee that you'd draw. But, would likely make sure that those that come after you have even worse odds than you did for the past 20yrs. I play the points game in multiple states as that's the hand I'm dealt, but I am not a fan at all of them.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

I've read that their were something like 90K applicants for 600 tags. A points system, even a preference points system, would not improve your odds much an in no way would guarantee that you'd draw. But, would likely make sure that those that come after you have even worse odds than you did for the past 20yrs. I play the points game in multiple states as that's the hand I'm dealt, but I am not a fan at all of them.

This. People think they are "guaranteed" a tag with a point system over time. That's a notable fallacy. All a point system does is guarantee you to be lighter in the wallet. Sure, it will improve your odds for those "medium" draw odd tags, but statisiticlly speaking you'd likely draw it over time anyway. Nothing more "fair" than everyone gets their name thrown in the hat, plus it doesn't screw all new hunters (kids) entering the system.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (10gaugeman, 240NMC, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,648
Posts18,455,427
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.