Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I found no way to edit my previous thread to where I could add a pic...must be something with my computer. Anyway, here she is. I mentioned that it was a fw barrel contoured stock and I have a standard weight barrel on my 1957 270. Many on here encouraged me to not mess things up by widening the barrel channel, and after thinking things over, I'd say they are right. I have found a 1957 vintage 270 fw barrel in pristine shape and might swap it out. Looking at the stock, I need to find out a way to make this work. I'm sure not going to have an Al Biesen stock drop into my lap ever again...no way.

Need to contact Swift about the bottom metal. The stock has a few minor, very repairable, dings on it. I wonder if anyone has an idea what type of finish he used on his stocks. I've refinished a ton of stocks and am pretty good at it. It's not an oil finish. It's not Tru Oil either, but it is a "built up" polyurethane type finish. It looks for the world like a Pro-Custom Oil finish. It might very well be a Permalyn stock finish.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Godogs57; 05/17/20.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Its a nice stock. I'm glad you found a 270fwt barrel. Those are often hard to come by, so you got lucky... Too bad, you couldn't have found the complete barreled action, so you don't have to pull your std barrel off... Sometimes "beggars can't be choosers" though...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great stock, that will make a nice family heirloom when it is all finished.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

The stock looks perfect as it is, I’d live with a couple minor dings.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beauty! Glad you decided not to mess with the inleting.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Poconojack

The stock looks perfect as it is, I’d live with a couple minor dings.

Originally Posted by tmitch
Beauty! Glad you decided not to mess with the inleting.

Agree on both.
Lovely stock.
Looks like it originally had a side mount?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...g--super-wood--nice.cfm?gun_id=101145922

Like this Pocono?

Edit - not sure where PJ’s post went ...

Last edited by AKwolverine; 05/17/20.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Yep

Hunter S. Thompson
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
YEP! Knew I would be, I am jealous and coveting. Very nice.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'd not try to patch it, let those dings stay as they are.

IMO, too nice a stock to be messing with.

DF

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This Lenard Brownell stock has dings, honest wear, just adds character, IMO.

No way would I mess with it, and I'm a fairly experienced with such.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
👍

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Finding it nigh on impossible to locate some Blackburn bottom metal. Sunny Hill is “restructuring” and not answering phone calls. Nothing showing in stock. Swift’s Blackburn metal business venture is as bumfuzzled as it gets. They have none, but have the machinery to produce it.....but say it will be six months or longer before they “might” have some, but no guarantees. So, you’re selling a product in demand, your stock is down to zero...why were they not working on this a month ago? Common sense business practices. Shaking my head.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Finding it nigh on impossible to locate some Blackburn bottom metal. Sunny Hill is “restructuring” and not answering phone calls. Nothing showing in stock. Swift’s Blackburn metal business venture is as bumfuzzled as it gets. They have none, but have the machinery to produce it.....but say it will be six months or longer before they “might” have some, but no guarantees. So, you’re selling a product in demand, your stock is down to zero...why were they not working on this a month ago? Common sense business practices. Shaking my head.

One would think if a company had the machinery to produce a product and a pent up demand for said product, there would seem to be no reason not to proceed.

But, it depends on the stakeholders and management, now bad they want to move, how financially encumbered they may be, etc. They could be so upside down/under water that they can't move. Who knows.

In a normal setting, a bankable business plan would be forth coming.

DF

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

I’d post a wtb in the Classifieds, surprising what often turns up on the ‘fire.

Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

One would think if a company had the machinery to produce a product and a pent up demand for said product, there would seem to be no reason not to proceed.

But, it depends on the stakeholders and management, now bad they want to move, how financially encumbered they may be, etc. They could be so upside down/under water that they can't move. Who knows.

In a normal setting, a bankable business plan would be forth coming.

DF

Swift just bought out the Blackburn folks a few years ago...I seem to remember an article about Swift's purchase of the biz a couple of years, or so, ago.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

.............. The stock has a few minor, very repairable, dings on it. I wonder if anyone has an idea what type of finish he used on his stocks. I've refinished a ton of stocks and am pretty good at it. It's not an oil finish. It's not Tru Oil either, but it is a "built up" polyurethane type finish. It looks for the world like a Pro-Custom Oil finish. It might very well be a Permalyn stock finish.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It could be poly, but I do know that Biesen used epoxy finishes starting in the mid-1960's. Either way, you're going to have a fine time stripping it off, if you choose to refin.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
....you're going to have a fine time stripping it off, if you choose to refin.

Don't think the OP is gonna go there...

DF

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I would put a WTB ad on accurate reloading, likely your best chance to find the blackburn bottom metal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
379 members (204guy, 280shooter, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 45 invisible), 2,251 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.