Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bartman
Arrrgggg..........................6 more years to retirement and you guys post websites that are very close to me!!!

Don't worry everything on the web is close to all of us. Just a few keyboard strokes away! smile

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having owned a bunch of sxs's over the years the Ithaca/SKB 100/200 are pretty nice shotguns if you don't mind a single trigger sxs. I sold off all my single trigger sxs's and have replaced them with two trigger guns. I have a two trigger CZ Bobwhite(20ga) is a nice shotgun but the triggers can be heavy and need work. Having choke tubes and being steel safe it is a pretty good rig, I've killed a bunch of ducks and a few grouse and woodcock with mine. Now it only goes out for high volume steel shooting. I found a nice little Bernardelli sxs and at 5 lb 15 oz for an all steel and wood 12ga it is a pleasure to hunt with and I shoot 7/8th and 1 oz loads out of it.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here are a couple more strokes to look at....

https://www.vfiguns.com/

MCH says he has a Abbiatico & Salvinelli that I can use until I tire of it....

Last edited by battue; 03/02/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by battue

It is a matched pair of course you can use one for as long as you want buddy.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ahhh thanks!!!!

I just started reloading shotgun shells and want to try out some hot loads for spring Turkey

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ahhh thanks!!!!

I just started reloading shotgun shells and want to try out some hot loads for spring Turkey

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
smile

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
As this will be a gun for wild chukars, get a Savage/Stevens 311 or the like. When (not IF) you slip and break the stock, you will be able to buy at least two replacement guns for the price of a new stock for the other guns mentioned. πŸ˜€

Mind you, this is from someone who is not much of a fan of SxS guns. I've owned and/or used Merkel, LeFever, Browning, Elsie's, SKB, Uggies, and couple others along with several drillings. None have held my interest and I am now down to a 12 ga Stoeger coach gun for cowboy action shooting, a pair of Savage 311s in 16 and 20 ga, and a 12 ga Winchester 24. The Stoeger is the only one I wish to keep, the others I am stuck with as no one has met my modest prices yet.

I will say I am keeping my eyes open for a sleeper SxS sold by Sears. The 433-512370 was made by AyA and and generally sells for a pittance compared to an AyA marked gun. I saw one once but someone recognized what it was before I did and the gun was gone in the several minutes it took me to find the info I needed at the bookstore a couple shops down (no wireless Internet connection back then). As I recall, it was priced a sawbuck or two above a 311. I've seen several in the hands of others and they were all gleeful of the price they paid. Just another suggestion.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ahhh thanks!!!!

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Probably wanna get a couple of three colors of Krylon and camo that gun up so's them turkey birds don't spy it.......all shiny and such.......

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Ahhh thanks!!!!

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Probably wanna get a couple of three colors of Krylon and camo that gun up so's them turkey birds don't spy it.......all shiny and such.......

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Rattle Can smile smile smile

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ithaca SKB's are solid choices, if they fit. I would look for something that fits me first, and look at the price tag later. No need to spend even less than the budgeted amount of money if the gun doesn't shoot well for you. Save up and get something that fits. If we still had wild quail in eastern NC, I'd have a 20 gauge Fox Sterlingworth. The 12's fit me perfectly and the 20's I've handled felt even better.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
PM sent.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those SKB’s are fine SxS’s that are proven and certain ones are exceptional.

I've owned 6 SKBs over the years. two O/Us & four SxSs. They are fine shotguns, as good as any BSS but lighter.

All the SxSs were 20s except one 12. The best 20 of the bunch is the one I own now. M-100 with 28" bbl. Was choked F/M but was reamed to IC/M. The handling is perfect and better than the clubby 25" ones. I like the M-100 better than the M-200E as it comes with a splinter forend as opposed to the beaver style on the 200. Also the lower grade M-100 does not have ejectors which is better for me. I only wish they came with double triggers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It’s tough to be a prol and have fine guns’ taste. πŸ€ͺπŸ™‚

Edit: that is, speaking for myself.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 05/06/20.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
AyA, Grulla, Arrieta, Urgartecha....

These are all great, and I wouldn't be afraid of the FAIR, which you can buy new for under $1500 unless prices have gone up.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I have a Dickinson 20ga. I’ve had it for a year exactly. In that time it hasn’t given me an ounce of trouble. I use it for informal skeet, preserve birds and rabbit hunting. I’m far from a SXS expert, but the overall opinion of the Dickinson guns is much higher than that of the other Turkish guns.

I have 2 buddies that grouse hunt religiously and both run Dickinson 16s. No complaints from either of them. If you’re looking to get into the SXS game and don’t wanna drop 2-3k. I don’t think you would regret the Dickinson.

Here’s a few random shots of mine.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’m not familiar with those guns β€” good looking in the pic’s. Can you give more details? Thanks. I can’t get to the models on their website for some reason.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Dickinsons are the sleepers in the sxs market today. Best yet from Turkey and they are holding up well. I have several friends and a couple clients who have them and I’ve seen and heard nothing but good. Shot a couple as well.

The barrels are very high quality (light weight, properly struck, bored true and barrels converge as they should. The guns are well fitted up, ejectors eject and triggers go bang.

The only ding I have heard on them is that some guns trigger pulls are a little heavy. Those I shot seemed fine, and I’m a bit of a trigger snob.

They are nice guns if the price was $3000; they are great buys at under $2000.

Last edited by GF1; 05/09/20.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You'll definitely want to test the triggers on the Dickson before you buy one. Or be prepared to have a gunsmith work them over. The pulls seem to be all over the map and while some are fine, some are so heavy you can hang the gun by the trigger.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I’m not familiar with those guns β€” good looking in the pic’s. Can you give more details? Thanks. I can’t get to the models on their website for some reason.

Maybe. What details would you like? It uses thin wall chokes, you can’t even tell it has them. Not gaudy looking like tubes on most SXS shotguns. The triggers, while they are a bit on the heavy side it doesn’t bother me at all, especially on a shotgun.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Slope77
I just bought a Dickinson 28 ga. Actually, my wife bought it for my 50th birthday. (She’s a keeper!) Seems real nice for the money. Only complaint I have is the triggers seem a little heavy. Good value. We are still in the grip of winter here and I haven’t shot it yet.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/858823817

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/858183319

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/857259522

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/850236148

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/850644619

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/847827891

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/852817284

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/852214838

Lots and lots of options in 20 ga. I think the old SKBs (Japan) were good and new ones are made in the same factory as the Dickinsons. Some nice used Spanish and Italian guns as well.

triggers on your 28 should lighten up with use.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

404 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 36 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.