Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
240NMC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I picked up a nice 1895 in 30.06 that is a takedown model made in 1925 from Cabelas after selling them a semiretired aluminum chassis target tacticool rifle. Got the rifle cleaned up with Frontier 45 and 2 days of wipe out in the barrel getting some of the brightest blue patches I’ve ever seen.

Took it to my hunting lease test range and fired it. I was 6 inches high at 600 and 4 inches left. Been away from open sights since I hung up my service rifle competition ARs 10 years ago. Typical mid fifties eye focus issues...

Looking at the rifle closely, I can see that it had a Lyman 21 on it at some point based on the fading on the receiver bluing. Can see the outline of the sight on the receiver blue. The front sight is too high and I had the buckhorn sight down on the barrel. I believe when the Lyman was removed they left the tall front bead sight on. The front is drifted right noticeably which explains the left shift.

Took it out last night anyway for an evening pig hunt thinking I’ll hold “under” if I get a shot. After dark, I switched over to the thermal rifle, no pigs.

This 95 will be used hunting for still and stalking pig hunts with ranges 50 to 100 yards. 90% will be still hunting over feeders and some spot and stalk.

I need to sort out the sight situation.

Do I add a reproduction 21 from Buffalo? I used aperture rear sights in matches and probably still have so merit master disks, also have so AR hoods that I actually used with a lease in the hood. Never used an aperature in a hunting situation.
Should I get a larger and shorter front bead and stay with the standard rear sight?
What combination works with aging eyes?

Your feedback is appreciated.

BP-B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Congrats on your new aacquisition

If you can get a Providence Tool company #21 reproduction (feom Buffalo arms?), it should go right on where the old hole was drilled and be the proper 11-36 thread. And the front sight screw should go right in the finger lever retaining pin hole up at the front end of the receiver. If is already as a high front sight installed you should be good to go.

I e mounted several years f these new sights on original 95’s and Brownings. With the new sight you will need that higher front blade.

I have pics posted of one I mounted on my Browning posted in a thread below around pages 12-15 titled "Winchester 1895 (New pic) "

With a bit of running commentary on installation. I do like this sight.

Good luck with whatever sight your choose

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

240NMC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

If you can get a Providence Tool company #21 reproduction (feom Buffalo arms?), it should go right on where the old hole was drilled and be the proper 11-36 thread. And the front sight screw should go right in the finger lever retaining pin hole up at the front end of the receiver. If is already as a high front sight installed you should be good to go.

I e mounted several years f these new sights on original 95’s and Brownings. With the new sight you will need that higher front blade.

I have pics posted of one I mounted on my Browning posted in a thread below around pages 12-15 titled "Winchester 1895 (New pic) "

Have you hunted with your set up?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Here is a picture of my 1895 .405 TD with a Williams receiver sight. This has worked well for me in the taking of many head of big game from Pronghorn to Cape Buffalo:
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

A friend from Down Under has this scope sight setup on his 1895 .405 and he has had great success with it. I have fired his rifle on a range and the scope works well.

Best of luck with your 1895- shoot it and enjoy it.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
240NMC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by crshelton
Here is a picture of my 1895 .405 TD with a Williams receiver sight. This has worked well for me in the taking of many head of big game from Pronghorn to Cape Buffalo:

A friend from Down Under has this scope sight setup on his 1895 .405 and he has had great success with it. I have fired his rifle on a range and the scope works well.

Best of luck with your 1895- shoot it and enjoy it.

Thank you for the feedback and I’ll get a the 21 sight ordered. I will hunt with this rifle for sure. It was quite a group last night with my Sig 716 with a Pulsar Thermal optic on the ground while I had the 1895 on the sticks. My have things evolved....

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by 240NMC
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Have you hunted with your set up?

Not that one since I’ve put the sight on. But, I’ve hunted a bunch with an original #21. Killed several elk. And I went ahead drilled and tapped the Providence aperture a put in a Marbles aperture. So its actually a bit more advantageous than the original now. I think you will like the Providence sight.

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Looking at the rifle closely, I can see that it had a Lyman 21 on it at some point based on the fading on the receiver bluing.

Congrats on a good trade! If it had a Lyman 21 there would also be a hole drilled and tapped at the upper rear of the receiver at the end of the markings like the one in the picture. If it doesn't have that hole a Lyman, or Providence, won't fit without drilling and tapping.........something I might not do to a collectible condition original. However your rifle, your choice.
BTW, if you can come within 6" at 600 yds with the barrel sights, you don't have vision issues!

[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
What Tmitch said. Ive D&T’ed one original. But it was not really in collectors condition. It was a real hunter’s grade rifle.

I will go on to mention that Redfield made a Lyman look alke sight. I do not know if they have the same hole spacing or not. I do not believe it was all that popular a sight as the Lyman. So chances are if your 95 receiver has the extra hole, it’s probably for the Lyman.

Lyman actually made two sights like the #21. The other was the #38 (I believe thats the right number). But the hole spacings were both the same. The latter sight was an improved version with a adjustable windage knob.

If you are REALLY interested in 1895’s I suggest this new book!!!

https://www.1895book.com

Founder

WS

240NMC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by tmitch
Looking at the rifle closely, I can see that it had a Lyman 21 on it at some point based on the fading on the receiver bluing.

Congrats on a good trade! If it had a Lyman 21 there would also be a hole drilled and tapped at the upper rear of the receiver at the end of the markings like the one in the picture. If it doesn't have that hole a Lyman, or Providence, won't fit without drilling and tapping.........something I might not do to a collectible condition original. However your rifle, your choice.
BTW, if you can come within 6" at 600 yds with the barrel sights, you don't have vision issues!

[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]

Mine has the screw in place so I should be good to go. I’ll make another effort to post photos as I had given up trying using an iPad. Rifle is on day 4 of WipeOut soaking; 3 patches a day with a barrel soak in between. Still getting bright blue...

240NMC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Here is a photo fo my 1895 and I believe I have the correct holes ready for the reproduction sight...and one hunting pigs.

Attached Images
Last edited by 240NMC; 05/19/20.
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Looks really good!!!!!! Congrats , again!!!!!

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice! The only thing better would be an original "Climbing Lyman", those are harder to find than the rifle, but the Providence will work great and you don't have to alter the rifle! Enjoy!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

240NMC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I received the Providence sight and having it installed. The rear hole was tapped with a different thread pitch so having a gunsmith do the install plus drift out the buckhorn sight and put a blank in, and straighten the slight bend in the front bead. Will post up a picture when complete.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If anyone has a miroku reproduction 95, let it be known that the easiest way to mount a scope is the "Mainer Mount".

History:
Some jack a s s from northern Maine was lost above the Arctic Circle, trying to figure out a scout mount on a dilapidated lever action rifle to be used on his dog sled.

Upon comparing barrel contours of a blr and a browning/winchester 95, he discovered them to be very similar.

A quick order of a standard scout rail, the fool attached it, drilling and tapping the barrel for the supplied 6-48 screws and affixed a burris scout scope.

The idiot took the rifle to a gravel pit, set er across the hood of his ford pickup and touched one off. The whole scope/rings/rail tore off the barrel and hit him in the forehead at a high rate of speed. Unphased, a quick walk to the target revealed that the shot hit the bullseye. The scope was so close, that the factory zero was spot on at 100 yards.

A quick upgrade to six total 8-40 screws, the guy is living happily ever after:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...233780/browning-1895-scout-rifle-project

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 05/28/20.
240NMC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ok the Providence Tool Company ladder sight is installed. Had local gunsmith do the work as they had to change the thread pitch on one of the existing holes. Also took the bend out of the front bead. Shot it today and set for 25 yards, then back to a 100 and shoots great. I also had the smith drill the rear aperature so I could thread in one of my own. Also have an old Merit Master Disk that fits to. This rifle will be hunted this season for sure....

While waiting on the work to get done, I picked up a Marlin 1895SS in 45-70, added a Scout Lever Rail and a Nikon Spur and that thing shoots and I love it. Both rifles will get used this season although they are handicapped by the fact our legal shooting hours are an hour before and after sunrise/sunset. If I’m not climbing, I’ll take two rifles in with me.

Enjoying my rediscovered enjoyment of lever guns.......

Saw Hunting With Stu on YouTube and that got me interested.....

Last edited by 240NMC; 06/06/20.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I would try the Model 21 from Buffalo Arms and see what you think about the front sight. Always a trade off between covering a lot of target vs being able to see it, and how quickly.
But then I think lever guns go great with peep sights. For me...Scopes are an OK necessity, scout mount scopes are an abomination, and those ugly rail mounts should disqualify you from ever owning a fine lever gun...
I guess you can tell I am VERY old school so far as levers. LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was extremely near sighted and wore glasses. I am 56 years old. I couldn't shoot iron sights.

I had lasix surgery.....now I can shoot iron sights! Got to sell a bunch of scopes!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Apertures are great but many people these days underestimate barrel mounted open sights.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wow, those are some good looking Wiin.95s! Mine was originally a later production carbine which was much modified. Its a shooter grade with lots of pitting. No holes for peep sight but a repro saddle ring fits receiver hole nicely. Got it working with parts from GPC/ Numrich and Wisners, even made some parts for it from looking at Madis' book. Gun shoots "minute of deer". Its a .30 Govt. Racking the action on this historical gun is satisfying! Mel

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
821 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 78 invisible), 3,250 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.