Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blaine
I buy what I like and can afford, and don't really worry about what others guys have.

+1 Though my wife might argue about the "can afford" part smile .........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
I wanted him to trash me about the Heym grin

Ok - I'll do it for him - you are spending that much on a furren rifle with iron sights? Are yiou nutz? grin

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
If you want a serious answer let me know wink
Otherwise I did it for two reasons: 1.) I didn't think my 416 Rigby kicked enough (if it hurts it's workin', right?) and 2.)I didn't think the penetration of the 400 gr bullet on the elk I shot with the 416 lived up to the hype grin

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Otherwise I did it for two reasons: 1.) I didn't think my 416 Rigby kicked enough (if it hurts it's workin', right?) and 2.)I didn't think the penetration of the 400 gr bullet on the elk I shot with the 416 lived up to the hype :grin

Last edited by UtahLefty; 06/15/07. Reason: sorry, must double clicked the button, maybe I should add " 'cus I'm an idiot to boot!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like to buy things once, I find it less expensive that way. I like to buy good stuff as aposed to buying cheap stuff. This dose not mean that the only good scopes around are 1500+ jobs. Nope a Leupold will do to the job and then some with out a hitch. In the end its all in the eye of the beholder. I myself would love to have a drilling, 7 x 57 R double with a 20 or better yet a 16 ga barrel under with a claw mounts for a 6x 42 scope for my white tail hunting. I don't have one thou it would be a pratical thing for this CT deer hunter, since there are also turkeys around on my land during the season. But in order to have somthing like that you would pay more that what some here would be confortable paying, me to. This is not to say I have not looked at F.W. Heym's on the net, so much eye candy.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking down on someone with an inexpensive rifle is just as bad as jelously looking up at someone with an expensive one.

Everyone has different means. Just because someone can afford something nicer doesn't mean they are any better than someone who can't. Having to hunt on the cheap doesn't make someone any more noble or practical than someone who spends more. Spending lots doesn't make you any higher class.

It's not about Money! It's about enjoying the company of fine people at the shooting ranges and hunting camps no matter what their income level. A Rich Slob hunter and a Poor Slob hunter are both just Slob hunters. A good hunter is a good hunter rich or poor or wherever they may fall in between.
I think if we all just try and worry about being good ethical hunters and good people to hunt with and be around the other crap just isn't worth worrying about.......................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
+1 DJ,that sums it up perfectly

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
DJ: Good post. +1.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
'cmon guys - it's Friday afternoon. We know you're correct but why'd you have to go and get serious all of a sudden? grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like to mix quantity and quality, inexpensive adds more to the safe for me. But quality never lacks...

NRA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 good post dj.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
well atleast i got a fast response on this thread, my point is i have a friend that buys nothin but nikon monarch scopes and if he doesn't pay at least a grand for a rifle he feels like he didnt get anything useful. he is a handloader and spends lots of time on loads. he shoots as good as i do . but,he cant seem to get a rifle that will out shoot either of my savage 110's with cheap scopes. we can shoot each others guns and my cheap setups still win.
he glass beds ,puts levels on scopes ,pays big money for trigger jobs . it doesnt seem to help .

i've even loaded for his guns ,it just dont matter. here's what i own in good shootin rifles

savage 110 7mm ,weaver bases,tasco rings, simmons 4x12x50
savage 110 22-250 ,weaver bases and rings, tasco 6x24x40
remington 700 ,270win,weaver rings and bases,swift 4x12x40
tikka t3 270win,tikka rings ,swift 4x12x40
savage 12 22-250, weaver bases ,tasco rings, swift 8x32x50

all of these setups,with handloads are well under 1 inch groupers at 100yds

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
90%of the answers will be only the very expensive stuff

There might be a reason...........

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
90%of the answers will be only the very expensive stuff

There might be a reason...........

Dude, you said a mouth full!

srw,

IF I were inclined to argue with you and tell you what I think is the correct equipment...which I'm not laugh ...I couldn't really quibble over your sticks....but your glass...again...to each his own.

Last edited by .280Rem; 06/15/07.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
Otherwise I did it for two reasons: 1.) I didn't think my 416 Rigby kicked enough (if it hurts it's workin', right?) and 2.)I didn't think the penetration of the 400 gr bullet on the elk I shot with the 416 lived up to the hype grin

What caliber are you getting? I have two good friends that have doubles - one a 470 Nitro Chapuis and one a 500 Nitro Searcy. Both are fun as hell to shoot - although both those guys shoot them much better than I do. (btw - the 470 Nitro is about the same recoil as my 416 Remington)

Jeff

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
As DJ Paintless stated above:

My best hunting buddy is a trophy hunter. He has more trophies hanging on his wall than anybody I know. He comes home from South Texas with a 160+ B&C buck every year. He has several Gold Medal Axis trophies, all over 33". He shot them all with a Remington 700 that was given to him and chambered in 30-06. He saved his money for four years and had it stocked with a Brown Precision. He saved another 8 years and scope it with a Swarovski. Only one of his critters was whacked with the Swarovski. Prior scope was a lowly K-Mart Blue Light Special: 3-9x Leupold Gold Ring as they were known then.

Personally I DESPISE 30-06's.

I own a Weatherby Mark V chambered in 7 Wby. It has been Cera-Koated, Swarovski mounted & custom 20 oz stock installed. I have $2400 in this rig and it shoots .400" groups. I know a multitude of people whose cheaper rifles shoot just as good or better. My gun doesn't perform any better than most but IT IS WHAT I WANTED and so I TREATED myself to it. Years back I would never have dreamed of spending $1000 on a rifle much less a scope too. But, I always knew that if I ever bought the rifle I really wanted and had the means to do so, it would be a Weatherby.

Shoot what you want, pay what you want but the type &/or cost of the rifle you tote does not your character state.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Utah: Uh, sorry, musta lost my mind........ crazy Gimme time and I'll revert to normal.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
280: Are wives REALLY allowed to read what we post here??!! Time for a restraining order.......I thought this was off-limits to wives???? sick

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I couldn't really quibble over your sticks....but your glass...again...to each his own.
+1

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think you will find that good hunters and good marksman can bring game home every year no mattter what they shoot. Be it an old Springfield Trapdoor, to the newest, most modern whiz bang shoot'em at two miles rifle. Either topped with iron sights to a $2000 piece of glass. These guys just use it as a tool. Some guys just like the look and feel of a finely crafted pieced of machinery. Be it a firearm or anything else. Some guys need a more utilitarian firearm that has all stainlees metal,and a synthetic stock for those wet climates.

Then there are the guys that just don't get it and never will. They never learned to hunt or place a bullet where it should go and keep buying more and more technical advanced fireearms in the hopes that it will serve as crutch to make them better hunters and shooters

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 50 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,329
Posts18,468,550
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.