Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I need an aftermarket safety for the old Springfield 03A3, one that will work easily with a low mounted scope and locks the bolt down when on safe. Do any of you know if the Timney triggers with the side mounted safety locks the bolt? I would call them, but web site says closed do to virus.

The old stock military trigger has served us well over the years, but now that the rifle is a 338-06 and I gifted it to a grandson I want a reliable safety on it for him.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
... Do any of you know if the Timney triggers with the side mounted safety locks the bolt?

This is not as simple as it seems. I just spent some time researching this. The answer is "it's supposed to, but sometimes it doesn't."
What got me started searching was that I just got a couple of my own Springfields rebored by JES, one to 338-06 and one to 9.3x62. I'd never used either of them before sending them for rebore, just picked up the sporterized rifles with horrid bores over the years as smoking deals at gun shows. The 9.3 has an original Buehler and the 338 has a Mark II.
My 9.3 displays an apparently fairly common problem with the Buehlers - when the rifle is cocked and the safety is "ON", if the bolt handle is lifted up, not only does the lock fail to hold the bolt closed, but the safety goes to the "OFF" position when the bolt handle is raised. In researching this online, I found some users whose Buehlers effectively locked the bolt, some for whom it kind of locks it unless the bolt handle is hit pretty hard, and some who like me, have one that slips off with just normal bolt handle lift.
If you look closely at an installed Buehler on the Springfield shroud, and how it meshes with the bolt locking notch on the rear of the bolt body, it is apparent that there is just a tiny window of engagement that separates the three effects described above.
I scored a NIB original Buehler Springfield safety on eBay and am going to try a couple options. I'll try the new safety and see if it works the same. I really don't want to change out the bolt of course (headspace) but I may try changing out the striker. If it does not work, I'll just user the Wisner side swing safety and do the milling to install it.

The Mark II safety on the 338-06 locks the bolt pretty firmly and won't let go no matter how hard I hit the bolt handle. Maybe others can chime in with their experiences with this one. I have an extra '03 shroud with one of those installed and that's another option for my 9.3.

Also, this thread might get you better responses on the gunsmithing forum (s).

Post what you learn back here though, for everyone's learning.

Cheers,
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 05/18/20.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I used this old Springfield from 1965 to 1969 when I shipped out for the war. I shot my first moose and caribou with it when I was 15 on the same day and dumped a few other critters with it. Never had a usable safety with the scope and I never missed it, just carried an empty chamber. As the years went by a nephew took it over and neglected it and the bore was ruined y never cleaning it after shooting WWII tracer ammo. I bought it back from my brother after the nephew died a I knew it would be sold in a garage sale.

I sent it to Jess and he turned it into a 338-06 and I put a Boyd's stock on it. Now that I gave it to my manly 16 year old grandson I will feel better if he has a good reliable safety on it. Options are few and reliable info is sparse.

The first range trip showed promise, we got moose to kill.

Thanks for your time.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I used this old Springfield from 1965 to 1969 when I shipped out for the war. I shot my first moose and caribou with it when I was 15 on the same day and dumped a few other critters with it. Never had a usable safety with the scope and I never missed it, just carried an empty chamber. As the years went by a nephew took it over and neglected it and the bore was ruined by never cleaning it after shooting WWII tracer ammo. I bought it back from my brother after the nephew died a I knew it would be sold in a garage sale.

I sent it to Jess and he turned it into a 338-06 and I put a Boyd's stock on it. Now that I gave it to my manly 16 year old grandson I will feel better if he has a good reliable safety on it. Options are few and reliable info is sparse.

Thanks for your time.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I have a timney, I had to have a gunsmith install it.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If in doubt, send it to Jim Kobe. He did a side swing safety for an 03 for me a year or two ago and did an absolutely swell job.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by viking

So does it lock the bolt closed when in the safe position - even if you bump the bolt handle pretty well towards the open position?
This is the OP's question.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
If in doubt, send it to Jim Kobe. He did a side swing safety for an 03 for me a year or two ago and did an absolutely swell job.

Jim does a three position M70 - type safety for the Springfield, right?
This is a lot different than the Wisner to which I alluded.
What did Jim charge for the job?
Thanks,
Rex

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by viking

So does it lock the bolt closed when in the safe position - even if you bump the bolt handle pretty well towards the open position?
This is the OP's question.

Good question. I can’t remember 😆. The next time I get back I will check (5 hours away).

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Jim does a three position M70 - type safety for the Springfield, right?
This is a lot different than the Wisner to which I alluded.
What did Jim charge for the job?
Thanks,
Rex

You would have to ask him that. I provided the safety and bolt sleeve, and I know not if what he charged me was his regular fee. The charges were quite reasonable in my estimation.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I used this old Springfield from 1965 to 1969 when I shipped out for the war. I shot my first moose and caribou with it when I was 15 on the same day and dumped a few other critters with it. Never had a usable safety with the scope and I never missed it, just carried an empty chamber. As the years went by a nephew took it over and neglected it and the bore was ruined by never cleaning it after shooting WWII tracer ammo. I bought it back from my brother after the nephew died a I knew it would be sold in a garage sale.

Thanks for your time.

Timney is your friend. Get the one with the side safety. Either that or get a Timney and a Beuler Safety. That's a gun smith proposition but it will be a first class set up and safe if you have a competent gun smith.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There shouldn't be a gunsmith required to install the Timney/Buehler.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Timney is your friend. Get the one with the side safety. Either that or get a Timney and a Beuler Safety. That's a gun smith proposition but it will be a first class set up and safe if you have a competent gun smith.[/quote]

So do you have a Timney safety on a Springfield and does it lock the bolt close in the ON position?

Last edited by TRexF16; 05/20/20.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I got this safety on Ebay for $14. Got the smith to install it when he did the bolt handle. This gun has a pristine '42 vintage barrel and shoots nearly MOA. I gifted it to my hunting bud after he was talking about wanting a Springfield. He loves this gun, named it Dusty Springfield after the singer. That sorta dates him.

I loaded 130 gr. Horn SP's over 59 gr. Big Game at 3,100 fps and he killed a bunch of stuff last season, mostly DRT. Gun has a 40 yr old Timney, now wears his Leupold glass, not this Bushnell.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I got this safety on Ebay for $14. Got the smith to install it when he did the bolt handle. This gun has a pristine '42 vintage barrel and shoots nearly MOA. I gifted it to my hunting bud after he was talking about wanting a Springfield. He loves this gun, named it Dusty Springfield after the singer. That sorta dates him.

I loaded 130 gr. Horn SP's over 59 gr. Big Game at 3,100 fps and he killed a bunch of stuff last season, mostly DRT. Gun has a 40 yr old Timney, now wears his Leupold glass, not this Bushnell.

DF

That looks like a Mark II safety. And, to try to help out the OP -
Does it lock the bolt solidly when in the SAFE position?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Talked to Jim Kobe today and rifle goes out to him tomorrow for a two position wing safety that locks the bolt down. He said he would have it done before the August 1st draw permit my two grandsons got for caribou this early fall. That permit is a one time deal.

One Springfield 338-06 and one Tikka 6.5 Creed, hoping the old Springfield 03A3 makes another gut pile this fall, it has been awhile. It is good griz country with a liberal season and I hope we bump one. I will back them up with my peep sighted .348 Ackley Improved and some Kodiak 250 grain bonded bullets, heck ya!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is Jim charging you for that install? Is this the safety he's putting in?

Wisner side swing safety

Glad you found your solution.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

That looks like a Mark II safety. And, to try to help out the OP -
Does it lock the bolt solidly when in the SAFE position?

Yes, locks the bolt.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
What is Jim charging you for that install? Is this the safety he's putting in?

Wisner side swing safety

Glad you found your solution.

Here it is on an FN.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Timney version on another FN.

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,438
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.